Best to ignore some people

hodge

Lifetime Member

Equipment
John Deere 790 John Deere 310 backhoe Bobcat 743
Nov 19, 2010
Love, VA
The worst neighbor- my brother. Thinks he deserves getting plowed out before anyone else, and won't step out of the house to help. I've done it in the past, but no more. I am ALL for helping people, but not enabling them.

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Massey Ferguson 1825E, Kubota Z121S, Box blade, Rotary Cutter
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
I am ALL for helping people, but not enabling them.
Very well said :) property on one side of me is a rental. Used to help the tenants out. When we got hit by a tornado, I went out of my way to help them. Removed a downed tree so they could get out of the driveway. Had some extra temp fence and t posts, so I plugged a hole in there fence so there horse didn't escape.

They complained about the fence, and that I didn't cut the tree up in small enough chunks :rolleyes: They did say "If you need any help, just ask". So I mentioned that we would be cleaning up my yard the next day and could use help. They never set foot outside there house. That was the last time I helped them out.

The rest of the neighbors, I still do things for. But it's reciprocated back in some way. Old lady at the end of the road, pays me with baked goods :D Neigbor across the road and I help each other out. So something I may do for him, will get paid back eventually when I need a hand with something. Always a thank you said by the receiving party :D

Neighbors next door have quite a few health issues. So If they get tied up with doctors appointments, I'll run next door and mow the yard while they are gone. I also help out with any tasks they can't handle any more. I always refuse payment, but will find a gift card to a local steak house taped to the front door on occasion :D

armylifer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX1860, FEL, RCK54P MMM, BB1548 Box Scraper, Quick Hitch, Piranha Bar, BX6315
Mar 26, 2013
Thurston County, WA
Several years ago, I had a neighbor across the street from me that got a letter from the county ordering him to cut brush from a storm drainage pond on his property. He did not have the equipment to do the job so I borrowed another neighbor's bush hog and cut all the brush for him. In the process of cutting the brush, a big stick jammed its way into my radiator and punched a hole in it. It cut all of the fan blades off too.

When he saw the damage on my tractor, he offered to pay for it. I refused to let him pay for anything and told him that I was operating my own equipment and any damage done was my responsibility, not his. Anyway, when I got my tractor back from the shop, I went over and finished the job for him when he was at work one day.

About a year later, when he got orders from the Air Force moving him out of state, and he had a lot of things that he had to get rid of. To make the story short, he ended up giving me a lawn tractor, a gasoline powered pressure washer, a lot of garden hoses, and a whole host of other things that are very useful to me. I never asked him to pay for the help I gave him in clearing the brush or the damage that I did to my tractor, but in the end he gave me so much more in valuable items that I still use today. He was very appreciative of my help and he is still a good friend to this day.

I have to say that I am fortunate to have many neighbors that are equally as helpful and show appreciation for each other. I attribute this good fortune to the fact that many of my neighbors are either active military, or retired military. Because we all have had similar experiences being deployed overseas and have experienced the same hardships when deployed, we just help each other out. This is something that I call a military mindset or a military attitude. Those that have been in the military know what I am talking about.

Eagleclaws

Equipment
L2000 with a bush hog
Jan 13, 2018
Lumberton, MS, USA
Not that we get a lot of snow down in my neck of the woods. Although this year it has been a different story. But what I noticed is that people help each other down here in Mississippi. I have always been one of those who help their neighbors, never ask for pay because I believe in Karma points. More than once I have been blessed with good people helping me when I needed it and like me, refused to be paid for it. I usually get the same thing I always say, "neighbors always help each other, cause you never know when your gona need the help". So far that has been a good way to go. I wanted to say thank you for your neighbors who haven't said it, because in the long run, those times always come back, good and bad. Peace and Joy to all of you who have given your time and efforts.