Bent Stand LA344S

eastvt

Equipment
BX1880
Sep 13, 2021
Vermont
I guess I must have bent it a little at some point when trying to re-mount the loader, not going in square. The stand has bent more with use, the 90 degree bent piece that crosses by the hydraulic line. It's also twisted just a bit at the front left attachment point by the bucket. I've straightened the cross piece out a bit by pulling on it with a ratchet, but it bends again, worse.

I've currently got it held onto the left side of the main loader frame with steel cable and cable clamps wrapped tightly around it. Without that it will pull off at the front attachment point.

I guess I get a new stand for it. I assume this is a reasonable DIY replacement?

I've worked this little loader hard at times. I commonly move a few very large diameter logs at a time, and in winter, besides pushing snow around (on a sometimes uneven gravel drive), I move piles that fall off the metal roof. These loads of wet snow are at the limit of what the loader will lift.

I guess besides the DIY question, I wonder if I get a new loader should I find someone who welds and add some reinforcement to the cross piece, the one that is angled and runs along that hydraulic line? That is the main bend now, the weak part, but it has also twisted slightly where it attaches near the bucket.

I'm pretty surprised it hasn't held up. 100 hours on the tractor. I don't know if it was slight damage trying to re mount it -- assuming that -- or not holding up to use. I know it's the lightest duty tractor/loader I could get, but I'd still assume it would hold up generally to anything I'd do. I'd like to say I'll just be more careful re-mounting it, but that can be hard sometimes. I find it either takes about two minutes to re-mount the loader, or 25 minutes. The loader usually stays on, but during mowing season it's mostly off.

And a bit worried there might be something wrong with the loader itself, structurally. It seems it should have enough torsional strength that it wouldn't depend on this thin stand for any rigidity. It should be firm on its own and not bending anything. Maybe I should have the dealer come out to look at it. They do housecalls.

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
I guess I must have bent it a little at some point when trying to re-mount the loader, not going in square. The stand has bent more with use, the 90 degree bent piece that crosses by the hydraulic line. It's also twisted just a bit at the front left attachment point by the bucket. I've straightened the cross piece out a bit by pulling on it with a ratchet, but it bends again, worse.

I've currently got it held onto the left side of the main loader frame with steel cable and cable clamps wrapped tightly around it. Without that it will pull off at the front attachment point.

I guess I get a new stand for it. I assume this is a reasonable DIY replacement?

I've worked this little loader hard at times. I commonly move a few very large diameter logs at a time, and in winter, besides pushing snow around (on a sometimes uneven gravel drive), I move piles that fall off the metal roof. These loads of wet snow are at the limit of what the loader will lift.

I guess besides the DIY question, I wonder if I get a new loader should I find someone who welds and add some reinforcement to the cross piece, the one that is angled and runs along that hydraulic line? That is the main bend now, the weak part, but it has also twisted slightly where it attaches near the bucket.

I'm pretty surprised it hasn't held up. 100 hours on the tractor. I don't know if it was slight damage trying to re mount it -- assuming that -- or not holding up to use. I know it's the lightest duty tractor/loader I could get, but I'd still assume it would hold up generally to anything I'd do. I'd like to say I'll just be more careful re-mounting it, but that can be hard sometimes. I find it either takes about two minutes to re-mount the loader, or 25 minutes. The loader usually stays on, but during mowing season it's mostly off.

And a bit worried there might be something wrong with the loader itself, structurally. It seems it should have enough torsional strength that it wouldn't depend on this thin stand for any rigidity. It should be firm on its own and not bending anything. Maybe I should have the dealer come out to look at it. They do housecalls.
Have you ever considered upgrading to a bigger, more capable tractor?

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
East

can you take a couple of pictures and show us what is going on?

eastvt

Equipment
BX1880
Sep 13, 2021
Vermont
Have you ever considered upgrading to a bigger, more capable tractor?
Nah. I've just got a little place, something over 3 acres. I've got a little lean-to shed where I can fit this one with the roll bar down to store it -- bigger one wouldn't fit, and I'd have to build something. It's not like I'm a farmer or professional lumberjack or something. If this one can't handle the kinds of things I'm trying to do, Vermont homeowner stuff, I'm surprised. But, that seems a possiblity.

DustyRusty

Equipment
2020 BX23S, BX2822 Snowblower, Curtis Deluxe Cab,
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
Are you taking the loader off on a flat surface like a paved driveway or a concrete floor? If not that is the reason that you are bending up the loader stand. If you are attempting to haul large heave logs, you can damage the loader. It is a small lightweight tractor and you have to keep that in mind when doing projects.

eastvt

Equipment
BX1880
Sep 13, 2021
Vermont
This would be clearer if I started it and lifted the loader. This view from the top. You can see the bent part down under the front grill guard. Maybe I should start it and get it up to eye level.

I definitely have always taken the loader off on my concrete garage floor and not anything soft. I've heard horror stories of having them sink in unlevel ground and then be really hard to re-mount. However, the space isn't big, so I'm a bit limited in my approach. Sometimes I have slid the loader in trying to mount it and then the space becomes really tricky, to get at it straight on.

Attachments

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
The 'stand' is a $500 Cdn item.
When I bent mine, I just removed from loader and straightened it out on my 4by8 work table. A twist here, a pull there, 1/2hr later back onto the loader. It's easy to fix ONCE you figure out WHERE to 'adjust'.
In 6 years loader has been off twice. Once to reweld the busted tube to right arm and Friday to 'upgrade' the coupler situation.

Reactions: 1 user

eastvt

Equipment
BX1880
Sep 13, 2021
Vermont
Yeah, I know where to straighten this one -- but I think it is much weaker for having been bent a few times. I guess if I keep the original one I would find a welder to add a strengthening element to it, or else drill and bolt on some kind of reinforcement.

I'll take the loader off mid may to june to start mowing and keep it off unless I have to move something big. But I always need it for something, so back on it goes, then off to mow again. Then it stays on fall through winter.

DustyRusty

Equipment
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
Since your garage has limited space and it is difficult to get the loader lined up with the tractor, I suggest that you purchase a BXpanded loader dolly. It will take the problem of lining up the loader with the tractor and make your life much easier and stress-free. If you don't want to spend the money on the BXpanded one, consider making one out of wood. Sorry that I can't help you with plans for making one, however, I have seen a few pictures in the past posted by others who made one. Possibly one of those fine people will weigh in with some plans, measurements, and suggestions. I am relatively certain that you are not the first or will be the last one to have these types of problems.

eastvt

Equipment
BX1880
Sep 13, 2021
Vermont
Thank you! I had never heard of (or thought of) such a thing, but of course, it's obvious now. So when the approach isn't straight, just move the loader into a better position. And potentially move the loader a bit out of the way when it is on the dolly, to make more room in the garage. Probably worth making or buying for sure.

Only downside would be storing it while the loader is on the tractor, which is most of the time, but maybe the official version (not homemade) is weather proof. Or if I made it, I could make it out of PT wood.

Russell King

Equipment
L185F, Modern Ag Competitor 4’ shredder, Rhino tiller, rear dirt scoop
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
Flip it vertical and chain it to the wall out of the way. On its end or side.

DustyRusty

Equipment
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
I picked up a BXpanded backhoe dolly and the previous owner had stored it outside, and by the amount of weeds that had entangled it when he took it from the side of the storage building, I would have guessed that it had been out there for a couple of years. It was none the worse for being outside. I sprayed the wheels with penetrating oil and they spin well. I paid $100 for it and a new one is $199 plus the shipping. The loader dolly is the same price ($199) plus shipping. The current lead time is approximately 4-6 Weeks

Trimley

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX23SLSB-R-1 plus additions
Jul 25, 2023
PNW-WA
Yeah, I know where to straighten this one -- but I think it is much weaker for having been bent a few times. I guess if I keep the original one I would find a welder to add a strengthening element to it, or else drill and bolt on some kind of reinforcement.

I'll take the loader off mid may to june to start mowing and keep it off unless I have to move something big. But I always need it for something, so back on it goes, then off to mow again. Then it stays on fall through winter.
If you made a wheeled cart, it would help a LOT in your situation. You can straighten the landing gear with a couple large Crescent Wrenches.

eastvt

Equipment
BX1880
Sep 13, 2021
Vermont
Thanks everyone! This helps a lot. I guess my main remaining question is why the current stand bends as I use it on the loader, without even lowering it and using it as a stand. I've had it mounted for seven months solid, after having pulled it straighter, but after a winter of snow work and a bit of light wood, it is bent worse than every. For sure once metal bends/weakens it's a lot harder to count on it, but I also worry the loader is torquing it more than it should just while I use it. Maybe it's just not strong. I guess if I try straightening this one and keeping it I should drill/bolt/epoxy a sort of L steel metal plate and/or rod along that surface to make it stronger. I guess that would be the first thing to try, besides the dolly.

DustyRusty

Equipment
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
If it is bending while on the tractor's loader in the stored location that means that you have to be doing something that is hitting the stand. I find it strange that more people aren't having this as a problem if it were as easily damaged as you indicate.

Trimley

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX23SLSB-R-1 plus additions
Jul 25, 2023
PNW-WA
If it is bending while on the tractor's loader in the stored location that means that you have to be doing something that is hitting the stand. I find it strange that more people aren't having this as a problem if it were as easily damaged as you indicate.
In my typical attaching, removing, and use of the FEL, I've not experienced the landing gear in position of being bent. If the detach/attach (including on/off the cart) is on a flat (level (to include the tractor)) surface.

If the above is not happening, this is why the LG is getting racked. As for the LG being bent while the FEL is functioning, the only answer is the problem is created by the operator.

Reactions: 1 user

eastvt

Equipment
BX1880
Sep 13, 2021
Vermont
Oh no, it's not bending while stored. It was initially bent a bit while trying to attach the loader. With use, the bend has become worse, the metal weaker. I assume now it bends with perhaps normal torque of the loader in use because it is weaker on account of the initial bend and repeated bending. However, I worry there is something wrong with the loader that it might be squeezing it harder than normal, and thus bending it. I can't really tell why why it bends now, but I assume and hope it is because of the initial bend/then weakness. I've ordered a new stand from Messicks, and I also ordered the dolly for removing/storing/attaching it, with the idea I won't bend it again while trying to mount it in my garage bay. We'll see. I'm also going to bolster the new one before I put it on, by bolting some extra steel onto that part.

DustyRusty

Equipment
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
You should have ordered it from one of the local New Hampshire Kubota dealers so you wouldn't pay tax or shipping. I use MB tractor or Chappels. Both have good service and there is a good chance that MB tractor would have it in stock. Suggest that you cancel the Messicks order because the shipping is going to be almost as much as the part. It is heavy and bulky.

eastvt

Equipment
BX1880
Sep 13, 2021
Vermont
To follow up: I got a new stand. Bought a 90 degree bend length of steel and a steel rod (maybe like 3/8 diameter). I cut them to length, used JB weld to glue that rod with a bit extra around the edges in the L piece and clamped them onto the new stand where the old one bent (along the whole cross piece), mounted it. It was pretty easy to replace. Then I drilled through the stand cross piece and the new brace piece in about 5 spots, bolted it, gave it a few days to dry.

Since then I've used the loader a bit -- scooped some wet muck out of a ditch, moved half-dry split firewood, some loads of mulch from a pile to the garden a ways away. Not a bit of bending.

I'm guessing that bending the old one in attempting to re-mount it and then straightening/re-bending it made it so weak it easily bent when using the loader much at all. I think if I don't bend the new one while mounting it (I've got the dolly on order), it won't be a problem again.