Benefits of Windows 10

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
I'm still using Window 7 and continually get a window that wants me to update.

What am I missing out on by not updating? How much do the changes effect everyday computer life?

At some point, if I don't surrender, will my hard drive boil over like a bad head gasket?

alansz400

Equipment
B7500. FEL, Piranha tooth bar, box scraper, post hole digger, 3 pt. bucket
Oct 26, 2013
Loudonville OHIO
I kept clicking wait until later to update then one day I turned on the lap top and it said welcome to windows 10. I hated it for the first week. My 10 year old laptop was slower then before and I was about to just say the hell with it and go buy a new one. A few days later it was all good. I don't see any change now just a cool random picture on the home screen when you start up. Then again all I use a computer for is a few forums and CL.

Tooljunkie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L1501,home built carry all, mini plow blade.
May 13, 2014
Lac Du Bonnet, Manitoba,Canada
So i have windows 10. I got a survey pop up from window asking me what i think. My reply was "give me the address of the guy that came up with W10 so i can go to his home and beat him to death with my laptop"

I know it seems harsh, but i feel violated by having a laptop that wont do anything. Put in a cd or dvd , it wont play, plug in sd card, takes about 5 tries for it to realize you actually want to do something with it.

Now its on my end table and mainly serves as a coaster.

TripleR

Equipment
BX2200, BX2660, L5740 HSTC, M8540HDC and some other tractors and equipment
Sep 16, 2011
SE Missouri
I have Windows 8.1, my wife and I used Windows at work, so used it at home. My wife downloaded a block for the "upgrade". I am so sick of Windows, my next ones will be Apple. I'll keep an old PC around to access archived stuff, but nothing else.

coachgeo

Equipment
L225 w/woods Few Mowers & Back Blade, D722 in Motorcycle (Triumph Tiger), LMTV
Nov 16, 2012
Southern OH
Windows is not bad...... it's just a love to hate thing / group think.

That said though I run Linux... not bad either. Like anything takes getting use to. And it's FREE.

But don't tell all your neighbors and friends. One reason its pretty nice is it is still rather obscure. Not enough users for spammers/hackers etc. to profit from so they really don't waste their time writing code to attack/hack us.

08quadram

Equipment
bx2350d; Taylor Way 48" tiller; Farm King 50" snow blower
Apr 28, 2014
strawberry point, ia
I have upgraded most of our windows 7 pro machines to 10. I like it much better. Most of the computers run faster(although they have solid state drives and boot in 45 seconds anyway). You can disable that update nag for 10 if you don't want it.

I played with UBINTU?(linux) A few years ago. Just can't run most of the needed software for the office.

Mike

Last edited:

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
I have upgrades most of our windows 7 pro machines to 10. I like it much better. Most of the computers run faster(although they have ssd and boot in 45 seconds anyway). You can disable that update nag for 10 if you don't want it.

I played with UBINTU?(linux) A few years ago. Just can't run most of the needed software needed for the office.

Mike
Cool,,, ahhh what did he say??? :confused:

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
It will make your orange tractor stay orange longer! :D

William1

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX25D
Jul 28, 2015
Richmond, Virginia
I have had 10 on since 11/2014. I am a Windows Beta tester. A few of my machines get a new OS every two weeks or so. Quality/bugs have come and gone. Sometimes the new fixes make new bugs that are unbearable, then the net release, is terrific. Current production version is pretty good and uses less resources than 8.1 did.
While a computer can be like a pair of shoes, fitted to your feet, eventually, you will have to replace them and get used to new ones.
Eventually, Win10 will not be free to those that did not accept the offer of a free upgrade. Then you'll have to buy it. Or replace the machine with 10 preinstalled. Windows will not provide support for all old versions. Their plan is to only have one or two supported versions of an OS out at any one time and migrate to an annual 'free' new version of the OS. The business model being you'll buy all the apps and add-ons (not a single one I'd ever want). The only MS product other than the OS I use is Office. I buy my own instead of doing the '365 lease'. I'll run a version of Office 10+ years, so it is cheaper for me to shell out the $500 every ten years and install it on all my machines Vs. a annual lease on each.
Personally, I'd rather be running Windows Server but that you have to buy. I can do without the glitz and glamour and would rather have pure performance. Right now, I have 64 Gb ram, dual 6Gb/s 128gb SSD drives in RAID 0 for a C drive and a few Veloociraptors for data stores on a MSI overclocked MB that is water cooled with a Intel Devils Canyon processor i7_4790 overclocked to 5 gHz. Boot time is barely 11 seconds.
The house is hard wired with 128 ports and two wireless networks.

My last career prior to retirement was in IT and programming. I still work some, as an Oracle DBA and C++ programmer for a Public contractor.

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Massey Ferguson 1825E, Kubota Z121S, Box blade, Rotary Cutter
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
I've been putting off the switch myself. I hate trying to learn a new operating system.

Last week the computer almost did the update for me :eek: started up the computer, got side tracked by the neighbor and came back about a half hour later. A notice had popped up saying it was gonna automatically do it in two minutes!!!!

I played around with it and figured out how to shut off the auto switch :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Buffalo

Equipment
L3901, FEL, mower deck
Mar 17, 2016
Oklahoma
I run Ubuntu Linux 16.04, with libreoffice for all the wordprocessing and
powerpoint type stuff. All the software is free, and very effective, and
not at all burdensome to run/use.

With Chromium, vlc, and some odds and ends, I'm always good to go.

I've never felt left out in any way. If you need some commercial package, you
are probably stuck with something else though. Some ag software, or
accounting packages such as Quick Books would probably change your picture.

As a matter of principle, no commercial OS - ever. Computers DO NOT TELL ME
what to do !

$0.02

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
If you like windows 7 you can keep windows 7,,or something like that

08quadram

Equipment
bx2350d; Taylor Way 48" tiller; Farm King 50" snow blower
Apr 28, 2014
strawberry point, ia
We use Autodesk Revit. 3d architectural design. I also use Libre Office at home. Was never able to convince the boss that it is as good as MS Office (which I hate), he just couldn't get past the price for Libre Office. Oh well.

Sent from my SCH-R970 using Tapatalk

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
Cool,,, ahhh what did he say??? :confused:
Skeets - I'm with you, because I'm an idiot about the computer stuff.

I did the Windows 10 upgrade last fall. So far, it has worked okay, but I'm not a good judge.

I did notice the laptop had issues on restarts for a while. Sometimes took an hour before it would really do anything. Was often at first, now its once a month or two.

William1

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX25D
Jul 28, 2015
Richmond, Virginia
If... you do the 'upgrade' to Win10, you have 30 days +/- to change your mind and revert back to old system. It will not affect any data files. If you run 'Disk CleanUp' you may not be able to revert back, after the 30 days, running the clean up will regain 20 or so Gb of HD space, if you need it.
You can also get a flash drive (USB stick) and create a 'disk image' and then if install Win10. Then you can simply run the disk image and restore the machine to exactly how it was the day you made the image
Also, if you have a recovery partition, it will put your machine back to the way it was the day you bought it.

Back up your data files!!!!!!!:eek:

67Truckin

Equipment
BX1800D
May 25, 2016
Pleasant Plains
I worked in IT for 31 years. The main thing with Windows 10 is that it makes positive you use only genuine Microsoft software and will track and delete any outsider software. This ensures that you have to buy all your software programs from Microsoft and not any cheaper aftermarket sites. I personally will keep refusing the upgrade until my laptop dies an old death.