Be wary of industrial bar tread

OldHarold

Equipment
L4330, MX5100
Nov 13, 2011
SE WI
Well you are wrong on two counts: price and wear!

You pay more for industrial tires.

They have long life on paved surface, especially during straight line high speed travel, in my experience.

They tear up lawns less while providing more traction than diamond tread.

A disadvantage is they ride tougher, partly because they are often 2 plies thicker.

tedevegas

Equipment
L3940 CAB with LA724 loader and BH92
Dec 29, 2011
Kalamazoo, MI
R4's have been great for me on my L3940, 350 hours. I contemplated AG tires, but opted for the R4's. They've served well in mud/clearing land, snow, etc. Pretty gentle on the yard too, which was a benefit. I've been overall happy with the R4's.

tiredguy

Equipment
B3030 HSTC,B2781 51" front mounted snowblower,60" MMM
Jan 21, 2010
northern lower Michigan
There is a use/demand for all types, that's why they make them.[/QUOTE]

There's both good and bad in each one for sure depending on the specific needs for what the tractor is being used for. There's also plenty of misconceptions and varying facts but the bottom line people is that this exchange was a good one because it really did cover all the bases.

Pick what fits your needs especially when buying a new tractor because changing one over afterwards is very expensive and you most always end up upside down on the short end when it costs you way more money.
Just like oil and fuel additives we've all got different opinions just like we all got a$$holes. ;)
Tired

Iguide

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L 6060 With all the bells & wistles I can muster, 5/ll & Lown performance protec
Interesting debate.

I have a question I own a 70 acre wood lot, hilly & steep in some places and beaver bogs in other. The lot was logged about 20 years ago and the skidder trails are still very usable if drainage and trimming are done, some dry some not so much. There are springs & seeps all over. My primary uses are developing the land to put in food plots, some logging for fire wood, making the skidder trails usable for tractor & foot travel, filling in the old tracks etc. There is no hard surfaces at all except some ledge here or there, everywhere else is soft with small stumps, tree roots and rocks, ( yea it's northern NH alright ).

I need to have traction to push cleared materials en-such but also need to think about not tearing up existing areas to much, flotation basically is a consideration but don't really know the difference between R4's & R1's on that account. What is the general consensus for what I should use for tires, R4s industrial's or R1 agriculture's?

Would love some input on this subject.

Thanks

PS: The current R4s clog with mud easily, I have complained enough about the lack of preparedness by the dealer that they are willing to do an exchange straight up if I want.

Last edited:

L3700SU

Equipment
MX5800 HST w/1065FEL & teeth, WOODS PRD72 finish mower, Bauma Stumpblaster
Feb 16, 2011
Mercersburg,Pa,USA
Interesting debate.

I have a question I own a 70 acre wood lot, hilly & steep in some places and beaver bogs in other. The lot was logged about 20 years ago and the skidder trails are still very usable if drainage and trimming are done, some dry some not so much. There are springs & seeps all over. My primary uses are developing the land to put in food plots, some logging for fire wood, making the skidder trails usable for tractor & foot travel, filling in the old tracks etc. There is no hard surfaces at all except some ledge here or there, everywhere else is soft with small stumps, tree roots and rocks, ( yea it's northern NH alright ).

I need to have traction to push cleared materials en-such but also need to think about not tearing up existing areas to much, flotation basically is a consideration but don't really know the difference between R4's & R1's on that account. What is the general consensus for what I should use for tires, R4s industrial's or R1 agriculture's?

Would love some input on this subject.

Thanks

PS: The current R4s clog with mud easily, I have complained enough about the lack of preparedness by the dealer that they are willing to do an exchange straight up if I want.
For your particular situation (IMHO) I would keep the R4 for their puncture resistance and add an aggressive set of chains like use on log skidders.

I see you have a L3800 so you'll also have to get a set of wheel spacers to fit the chains but that will make your horse more stable. win, win!

Last edited:

Iguide

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L 6060 With all the bells & wistles I can muster, 5/ll & Lown performance protec
For your particular situation (IMHO) I would keep the R4 for their puncture resistance and add an aggressive set of chains like use on log skidders.

I see you have a L3800 so you'll also have to get a set of wheel spacers to fit the chains but that will make your horse more stable. win, win!
What a great suggestion L3700SU. I'll chat with the dealer about that

Thanks

Iguide/Wayne