Battery replacement?

SDT

Equipment
multiple and various
Apr 15, 2018
SE, IN
My MX 4700 battery is getting weak. My dealer is an hour away. Is a Kubota battery worth the drive?
Thanks
No need to buy a "Kubota" battery which will almost certainly cost more.

I've bought Deka batteries for the last several years, usually from my CNH/Kubota dealer who sells Deka and CNH batteries. My dealer supplies "Kubota" batteries only if Kubota warranty is involved.

Be advised that all so-called storage batteries are made by two or three manufacturers, who apply various labels.

SDT

Reactions: 1 users

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
Kubota does not make batteries..... nor oil.... nor filters......

My advice - measure all three dimensions...... and understand if there is any more "wiggle" room to be had.

Go to your local battery place (walmart could work) and find a battery that will fit - and while there, see about getting the largest CCA battery you can buy.

I would expect you to pay........ $150 - $175 for a good battery.

Reactions: 2 users

Big Mike

Equipment
MX 4700
Jan 1, 2019
Stanville, Ky USA
I read that the Kubota batteries have 900
CCA. My dealer priced it at $125. It may be worth the drive after all. That’s a very competitive price.

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
Take note of the manufactured date on any battery you buy. The freshest batteries are not likely found at a tractor dealership. WalMart on the other hand sells their entire inventory about every other month.
If you DO buy a battery from WalMart...do NOT tell them it’s for your tractor. Tell them its for an automobile.... because their warranties are very limited if not installed in a car or truck. (I bought the same battery for my truck but put it in a boat.... but the 5-year warranty was disallowed because I mistakenly told them it was in a boat...so they only warranted it for 1-year. Be forewarned. Also, their deep-cycle and marine batteries don’t carry the same warranty as their automotive batteries.
Soo.... consider a WalMart “EverStart Maxx” etc and tell them it’s for your pickup truck. Their 24F is $88 with a full replacement for 3-years if it fails.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
I have never had anyone from a WalMart store ask me what vehicle a battery was going to go in. I simply get the series number I need and go get it. I do as 85 Hokie suggested, buy the largest size and highest CCA and put it wherever it needs to go.

But I have good luck with WalMart batteries. I have two 27N's in my truck that the stamp on them is 10/11. Nine years on an automotive battery is unusual.

Nicfin36

Equipment
L2501 HST, BH77 Backhoe, SSQA Loader ZD1011 Mower
Jun 19, 2019
Decatur, AL
Batteries seem to be more crap than good now. I thought Duralast were good batteries, because I had one in my car and truck that lasted about 10 years each. I replaced both eventually and got maybe 3 years from both and one was a Duralast Gold, top of the line. Autozone wanted to give me about 5 dollars off a $175 battery and I just laughed at them and left.

I will probably try a Wal-mart battery next time. There just doesn't seem to be a big quality difference anymore. As Geohorn says, if they replace it within 3 years, that is a good deal. These batteries now barely seem to last 3 years for me.

Both my car and truck now have Duracell batteries from Batteries Plus. The verdict is still out on how well they do.

I actually bought an Interstate Marine cranking battery about 2 or 3 years ago for my old tractor. 1000 cranking amps. It is not a big battery, but it turns over my seldom used John Deere 2030 just fine.

random

Equipment
L3301, bucket, backhoe, grader, plow, harrow, cultivator
Nov 2, 2020
NC
I can't recall ANY discussion at any parts store about what I'm putting a battery in, or anything else that didn't require me to have them look up the part.

retired farmer

Equipment
tractor, loader, cutter, blade
May 25, 2020
sheridan
I have used Walmart batteries for years in cars, trucks, and tractors, never a question of what they go in. Never had one to last less than 5 years either.

Reactions: 1 user

Tamall

Jan 8, 2021
Madrid
www.seoplanner.com
In my case and that is what I recognize, the batteries of that brand do not generate total confidence in me, however they are good, even so considering the trip I recommend as some here to use another with good properties.

armylifer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX1860, FEL, RCK54P MMM, BB1548 Box Scraper, Quick Hitch, Piranha Bar, BX6315
Mar 26, 2013
Thurston County, WA
I bought a new battery at Walmart for my daughter's pickup truck about 18 months ago. They did ask what the vehicle make and model was but I think that was just to verify the size and CCA needed for it. I don't think it was for any warranty purposes.

doublebass73

Equipment
L2501F, 68" Pull Type Snowblower, Spreader, Dirt Scoop
Oct 7, 2020
NH
Batteries seem to be more crap than good now. I thought Duralast were good batteries, because I had one in my car and truck that lasted about 10 years each. I replaced both eventually and got maybe 3 years from both and one was a Duralast Gold, top of the line. Autozone wanted to give me about 5 dollars off a $175 battery and I just laughed at them and left.

I will probably try a Wal-mart battery next time. There just doesn't seem to be a big quality difference anymore. As Geohorn says, if they replace it within 3 years, that is a good deal. These batteries now barely seem to last 3 years for me.

Both my car and truck now have Duracell batteries from Batteries Plus. The verdict is still out on how well they do.

I actually bought an Interstate Marine cranking battery about 2 or 3 years ago for my old tractor. 1000 cranking amps. It is not a big battery, but it turns over my seldom used John Deere 2030 just fine.
I had good luck with a Duracell 6V in my old Ford 9N. I think they are made by East Penn or Deka. The Batteries Plus in NH was good to deal with and good prices too.

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
I bought a new battery at Walmart for my daughter's pickup truck about 18 months ago. They did ask what the vehicle make and model was but I think that was just to verify the size and CCA needed for it. I don't think it was for any warranty purposes.
This is how it occurred in the example I gave. I walked into WalMart and selected a battery off the shelf and put it in the basket. When I got to the counter the cashier just asked a routine question “What vehicle?” And I replied, no vehicle..I’m buying it for my boat.
When that battery failed within the period it would have been covered in a car or truck...the warranty was denied because of the sales-slip record showed no—automotive use.

Nay-sayers here can proclaim my story is ridiculous if you like... I don’t care. I’m only offering information in the hope it might be useful to you. Denigrate / Disregard it if you like...it’ll be your loss not mine.

doublebass73

Equipment
L2501F, 68" Pull Type Snowblower, Spreader, Dirt Scoop
Oct 7, 2020
NH
This is how it occurred in the example I gave. I walked into WalMart and selected a battery off the shelf and put it in the basket. When I got to the counter the cashier just asked a routine question “What vehicle?” And I replied, no vehicle..I’m buying it for my boat.
When that battery failed within the period it would have been covered in a car or truck...the warranty was denied because of the sales-slip record showed no—automotive use.

Nay-sayers here can proclaim my story is ridiculous if you like... I don’t care. I’m only offering information in the hope it might be useful to you. Denigrate / Disregard it if you like...it’ll be your loss not mine.
I'm not doubting your story but I've bought a few batteries from Walmart and I've never been asked what vehicle. It must depend on which store you go to.

I quit shopping at Walmart a while back so I haven't bought any batteries there recently. They may have changed the policy since I last bought one.

armylifer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX1860, FEL, RCK54P MMM, BB1548 Box Scraper, Quick Hitch, Piranha Bar, BX6315
Mar 26, 2013
Thurston County, WA

I did not put the battery in a shopping cart. I looked up the battery that I wanted online at walmart.com and then I went to the local store automotive department and asked for the battery I wanted. The sales clerk asked me what vehicle the battery was for and I told her the year and model of the truck. I paid for the battery and took it home. I changed out the old battery for the new one and took the old one back for my core deposit. I could speculate that they were asking just to be sure that I was buying the correct battery for the truck, but that is just a guess. I don't care why they asked, I am just saying that they did ask.

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
I purchased two batteries at a Walmart yesterday. I was wanting a group 27 and needed two and wanted to get them at the same store. I called 5 stores before I found what I needed. When I got to the store I asked the masked man there if I could use one of the carts nearby. Told him I was needing a couple of batteries and didn't want to carry them to the front. He asked if I was the guy that called. He pulled the batteries off the shelf, put them in the cart and told me I could pay for them there. Paid, got the receipt and left. He has no idea what they go into and didn't ask. That's always been my experience when buying Walmart (or any other store) battery.

I have to agree with you Armylifer.