Battery Idiot Light

Stob

Apr 5, 2013
VA
When I bought this L2550 used, the seller said the reason the battery light was on, is because a Kubota tractor uses a special battery that has some kind of circuitry in it that works with the idiot light, but it costs bi bucks. So he bought a comparable size that doesn't have this magical stuff in it, and that is the reason the light is on.

So far, it has cranked over just fine, haven't used any lights, but no issues otherwise. So did he tell a tale, or is there any truth to his story?

motorhead

Equipment
2009 B3200, 2007 Dodge/Cummins powered Ram 2500 395hp
May 17, 2012
Atascadero
Sounds like a "BS" story to me. In 45 years of working on everything from tractors to motorcycles, I have never heard of a "Special Battery" with circuitry in it. I would put a digital volt meter across the battery and check the charging voltage. If the tractor has a true alternator then I would have that checked if it is not charging. It could be possible that the idiot light is not working correctly.
Welcome to the site!

pmhowe

Equipment
L4240, Ford 8N, Kioti CK 2610
Jun 23, 2012
Banner Elk NC
It sounds like BS to me, also. I had an L2550 (nice tractor, by the way) that did not have an original or replacement Kubota battery. It had a normal Pep Boys battery. Worked fine. No red light.

satchelh

Equipment
L2550DT
Feb 18, 2013
SW Ohio, USA
The battery light warns of low electrolyte level in the battery. It is separate from the charging system idiot light. The Kubota batteries accept a sensor and they do cost big bucks. Mine had a NAPA battery when we got it and the electrolyte sensor circuit has been jumped to get the light to go out. I haven't traced it out to find out exactly how it was done. Others here may be able to help and I can't imagine it's too complicated. You could also just take the bulb out of the dash.

Gannon

Equipment
B6000
May 21, 2013
NSW Australia
This is just a guess, but is the sensor just a float switch that fits in one of the vent caps on the top of the battery? Could it be modified to fit in a replacement battery?

Sent from my new touchy phone thingy

motorhead

Equipment
2009 B3200, 2007 Dodge/Cummins powered Ram 2500 395hp
May 17, 2012
Atascadero
Boy....I stand corrected on this one :eek: I have never heard of this type of monitoring.
My 2007 Dodge diesel pickup has battery temperature sensors in the bottom battery tray to monitor the battery temperature. It works to help regulate the charging of the batteries.