Battery Fires

GSD-Keegan

Equipment
B2601 with Fel and Bh70 backhoe
Mar 6, 2021
Ontario, Canada
Just bought my first elecitric yard equipment tool. EGO blower. Instructions say to remove battery from blower, and also battery from charger, when not in use.
Who all does this? Both the blower and charging stations are convenient places to store a 56v battery. I do understand the safety precautions about unplugging the charger from the wall outlet!

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
hmm, so your house burns down due to battery/charger failure... when the insurance company sees you did't follow instructions will they deny you claim for $800K loss ?

Actually the charger should be CA EPA smart and go into 'sleep' or 'hibernate' mode when no battery is being charged.

GSD-Keegan

Equipment
B2601 with Fel and Bh70 backhoe
Mar 6, 2021
Ontario, Canada
No, I am trying to follow instructions and remove battery from tool and charger. Yes, the charger is a smart charger with a fan to cool the station and battery. All I’m saying is it’s more convenient storage to leave them on the tool or charger when the cycle is complete and charger is unplugged.
How many hand tools are left with the battery attached? I’m saying many, but most consumer hand tools may be only 20 or 24v. This thing is 56v. Just my curiosity….

Sidekick

Equipment
RTV-X, BX3260, Z726XKW-3-60, Deere 4100
Jul 29, 2023
N.Y,
I see where some buy knockoff chargers from ebay and Amazon. Those are the ones that really scare me without any UL testing or approval.

When I was younger a friend was a fire inspector to determine the cause of fires. Back then he said bedroom clock radios were the most frequent cause. Now code calls for arc fault breakers that shut down problems like that.

In 1984 our last house got struck by lightning and every appliance was fried with melted switches. Can't figure out why none of them actually caught fire. Guess back then everything was made of metal or shielded with meta and not flammable Chinese plastic.

The Evil Twin

Equipment
L2501, LA526,
Jul 19, 2022
Virginia
Per the local fire marshall, it is usually the chargers that fail. Not the battery. Whether the wrong/ aftermarket charger, or the correct charger that fails to stop/ adjust/ regulate charging.