Ballast box

WolverineMarine

Equipment
LX2610 with BH77 backhoe
Aug 16, 2016
NW Ohio
I’m getting a new LX2610 delivered soon and I’m wondering if someone has plans for a ballast box I can make for a little extra weight in the rear when the backhoe isn’t attached which will be most of the time.

Reactions: 1 user

jimh406

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L2501 with R4 tires
Jan 29, 2021
Western MT
I don't have plans for one, but I did buy a ballast box that has barely been on. Instead, I usually have a rear attachment on which is more useful and still low and heavy, but also wide.

One other note, if you plan to use a QH, do yourself a favor and get a QH compatible ballast box or think about how you will make it QH compatible.

WolverineMarine

Equipment
LX2610 with BH77 backhoe
Aug 16, 2016
NW Ohio
I don't have plans for one, but I did buy a ballast box that has barely been on. Instead, I usually have a rear attachment on which is more useful and still low and heavy, but also wide.

One other note, if you plan to use a QH, do yourself a favor and get a QH compatible ballast box or think about how you will make it QH compatible.
I understand completely what you mean but when you don’t want something sticking out as far as say like a grader box or a rototiller I’m thinking it would be a nice option.

rc51stierhoff

Equipment
B2650, MX6000, Ford 8N, (BX sold)
Sep 13, 2021
Ohio
My dealer threw one in with tractor purchase and I modified from there. The main box was OEM, and from there I had it reinforced and added a trailer hitch. Inside the box I put a little plywood frame to leave pockets to the sides for my tools. Inside the frame is sand. At the back I built scabbards into the frame to hold my saws. It gives me ballast and allows me to haul my tools…for my use I need ballast to use loader in the woods when I cut wood. But I also need to haul tools. It works for me. If I were starting from scratch someone in another thread did something with concrete forms…it was awesome. Maybe they will chime in and show some pics how to do it right. I think maybe consider you need only ballast or you also want ability to carry tools and equipment…or need to towing as well. I do all of those so that’s why mine is a bit of a Frankenstein. I pull my trailer when I head into the woods and then drop it off when it’s time for the sweating and grunting. So with my set up I can haul tools, tow my trailer, skid logs, and have ballast for loader use.

Attachments

Reactions: 1 users

Norman

Equipment
LX2610HSD;LA535;LP 60" grapple; WC68 chipper; GB60 SW cutter
Sep 30, 2021
Georgia, USA
I also have a LX2610. I bought a box off Amazon (Yintatech) that I filled with 6 80lb bags of mixed concrete which is plenty heavy but also left about 4-6 of space at the top so I can put something in it like gas cans or small tools, chains, etc. The box construction was just fine for me, no issues with fitment or placement of any of the pins etc.

The only mods I did were my choice by welding stake pockets on the 3 point side so that I could insert upright 2x4's and make my own "carry all" or whatever I might need for extra carrying capacity. I also added chain hooks on the opposite side of the 3 point and a Sawhaul carrier. Fits my purpose which is mostly for woods cleanup when I have my grapple on.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B084MFG885/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

pokey1416

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Grand L4060HSTC, BH92 Backhoe, HLA Snow Pusher, Dirt Dog Tiller, EA DiscHarrow
Jun 24, 2020
SW Michigan
There was a thread here or on TBN using 3 point forks with concrete strapped on. He bought the forks used and bought divider block from local concrete company, cut the forks off to length. Nice and compact.

rc51stierhoff

Equipment
Sep 13, 2021
Ohio
I also built a carry all based off a video online and then paneled it and put swinging sides and a tailgate that also double as a work bench top…I started with a carry all frame and then added a trailer hitch to it as well. I use that to bring generator and tool boxes along for tree stand construction and maintenance. It works better as ballast and has a bit or room to carry stuff wood or whatever, but it take up a lot more space (hangs off the back a bit)…I put scabbards for saws and stake pockets to old longer tools. I also put off road swivel castors under it so I can roll it around in or outside. It’s better in every way except compact. I think some of the things folks do with concrete and keeps it compact is maybe better if space or overall length a consideration. Everything is a trade off.

eipo

Equipment
L4060
Dec 1, 2015
MI
This is what I made, built around a QH Trailer mover...

ballast3.jpeg
ballast.jpeg

Reactions: 4 users

WolverineMarine

Equipment
LX2610 with BH77 backhoe
Aug 16, 2016
NW Ohio
My dealer threw one in with tractor purchase and I modified from there. The main box was OEM, and from there I had it reinforced and added a trailer hitch. Inside the box I put a little plywood frame to leave pockets to the sides for my tools. Inside the frame is sand. At the back I built scabbards into the frame to hold my saws. It gives me ballast and allows me to haul my tools…for my use I need ballast to use loader in the woods when I cut wood. But I also need to haul tools. It works for me. If I were starting from scratch someone in another thread did something with concrete forms…it was awesome. Maybe they will chime in and show some pics how to do it right. I think maybe consider you need only ballast or you also want ability to carry tools and equipment…or need to towing as well. I do all of those so that’s why mine is a bit of a Frankenstein. I pull my trailer when I head into the woods and then drop it off when it’s time for the sweating and grunting. So with my set up I can haul tools, tow my trailer, skid logs, and have ballast for loader use.
That’s definitely pretty sweet! I guess before now I hadn’t considered a general purpose tool carrier on top of having the extra weight for using the loader.
I’m also curious if others use fluid filled tires?

rc51stierhoff

Equipment
Sep 13, 2021
Ohio
That’s definitely pretty sweet! I guess before now I hadn’t considered a general purpose tool carrier on top of having the extra weight for using the loader.
I’m also curious if others use fluid filled tires?
I use fluid in tires on both of my machines. I also use wheel weights on the bigger one.

WolverineMarine

Equipment
LX2610 with BH77 backhoe
Aug 16, 2016
NW Ohio
I don't know what steel is going for in his area, but that's a really expensive ballast box. :D
I agree, metal is insanely expensive. About 20
minutes west of me is an steel factory that just added 2 new furnaces for melting raw ore. I can see why now they spent that 2 billion. lol good thing I can get lots of scrap from my shop for nothing.

PeteW

Equipment
Maybe 3901
Mar 10, 2021
Western wi
I’m getting a new LX2610 delivered soon and I’m wondering if someone has plans for a ballast box I can make for a little extra weight in the rear when the backhoe isn’t attached which will be most of the time.
For my ballast I purchased a 3 point carry all frame from tractor supply, cut the bottom arm off at 12” then formed up a plywood form and filled it with concrete. I imbedded anchor bolts to connect the concrete to the frame. My weighs about 850 pounds. And the price was less than the empty ballast box frames you can buy. If i were to do over , I would go wider and a little taller to get closer to 1000 pounds.

Attachments

Reactions: 1 users

rc51stierhoff

Equipment
Sep 13, 2021
Ohio
Ranger Danger person had a pretty nice one on a thread about chains. It had make up on and even turned me on a little if I am being honest. It’s worth a look. Personally I like being able to haul some tools, but some of the ameture masons on here have me thinking….I think with what they have done plus one or two proper glasses of bourbon I’ll get something dreampt up (I am not sure that ‘dreampt’ is a word where you live or spelled right but most of my neighbors should know what it means. 🥃

rc51stierhoff

Equipment
Sep 13, 2021
Ohio
Actually the thread was something like a ‘shout out to M7060 owners’…is active right now. Check it out.

NHSleddog

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650
Dec 19, 2019
Southern, NH
I don't know what steel is going for in his area, but that's a really expensive ballast box. :D
I went with an 800lb lead filled box. I was looking for super dense and I couldn't afford gold.

My ballast box is my second most used attachment.

ballast.jpg

• Love
Reactions: 3 users

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
I made one out of some weights off of a exercise machine my neighbor was getting rid of. I mounted them in an old dirt scoop that was pretty much a yard ornament. It weighs about 1100#, if I remember correctly.

Attachments

Reactions: 2 users

Tropical Jack

Equipment
Kubota L3301 w/ FEL & BH, tilt and trim, chipper, box blade, grading blade
Your BH77 backhoe will be great ballast. If you swing it to the side, the rear clearance isn’t bad either. I usually have either my BH77 backhoe or my box blade on if I need ballast. I have never really considered having a dedicated ballast. But if you need the extra clearance in back …..

Jack