Bad Start

Mactool

Equipment
L3301HST S185 cat425
Apr 17, 2015
Alborn, MN
Well I still have anxiety about the longevity of the engine after getting so hot. The owner of the dealer will be back this week and I will be stopping in on tuesday on my route. I am thinking of seeing about replacing the tractor I bought new so I could do things right with maintenance etc. and now I have one I know got so hot that there is at a min some scoring on the cylinder walls and may take 250hrs but will eventually burn oil. I hope we can work something out.

Mactool

Equipment
L3301HST S185 cat425
Apr 17, 2015
Alborn, MN
Well heres the deal, they did a compression test and found one cylinder 20% low and agreed the engine is junk but told me it is not warranty. Even though they could find no sign of damage to the hose they said a stick must have pushed it off. (I went to the dealership and asked to see where on the hose it showed damage and they couldn't). Since I purchased the Kubota Insurance after having my $30k tractor for 1 hour of use, I am spending another $250 and should have it back in about 3 weeks if they can locate a new engine. My opinion of this company is I would never ever tell anyone to purchase their equipment. The right thing to do would be to replace the tractor and if I wanted to push this to a legal battle I know I would win based on the fact that what they are claiming is impossible to have happened with out negligence on their part (loose hose from factory). I also run a business and am blessed with more work that time so I am left going with the option of the insurance and paying for a tractor that I can not use.:mad::mad::mad:

koja

Equipment
BX25D
May 27, 2014
Fremont Mi.
Well heres the deal, they did a compression test and found one cylinder 20% low and agreed the engine is junk but told me it is not warranty. Even though they could find no sign of damage to the hose they said a stick must have pushed it off. (I went to the dealership and asked to see where on the hose it showed damage and they couldn't). Since I purchased the Kubota Insurance after having my $30k tractor for 1 hour of use, I am spending another $250 and should have it back in about 3 weeks if they can locate a new engine. My opinion of this company is I would never ever tell anyone to purchase their equipment. The right thing to do would be to replace the tractor and if I wanted to push this to a legal battle I know I would win based on the fact that what they are claiming is impossible to have happened with out negligence on their part (loose hose from factory). I also run a business and am blessed with more work that time so I am left going with the option of the insurance and paying for a tractor that I can not use.:mad::mad::mad:
Sorry it has turned out that way for you . There probably are a lot of different ways you could fight this , and most likely win . Or is it just one of those things where you just pay it and move on . I know I would be mad as heck , but new engine,250$. Is it worth the fight ? I can say I'm behind you either way you choose but the advice I can give is the older I get , the pickyer I become with my battles. Life's too short .
By the way , big thank you to you for keeping us updated. Not too often does that happen .

Mactool

Equipment
L3301HST S185 cat425
Apr 17, 2015
Alborn, MN
Oh ya they are unable to file the claim for another 2 weeks due to the fact that the paperwork is not processed yet

Apogee

Equipment
B6100, B7100, B8200, B9200, G4200, L175, L35
Jan 22, 2012
Tacoma, WA
No on paying the $250.

Call the National Service & Sales Managers at Kubota and explain what happened and what you're being told. Tell them it is clearly a factory defect and the loose hose was also missed by the dealer.

This smells of a dealer wanting to make more money off the insurance claim rather than the Kubota warranty reimbursement rate. You need to go around the dealer and talk with Kubota Corporate.

"If they can locate a new engine???" WTF?

Also explain that you are documenting how you are being treated on the Orange Tractor Talks website.

I'd like to know who the IDIOT at Kubota is that is making decisions such as this. The person's head should be rolled.

Steve

Last edited:

rentthis

Lifetime Member
May 30, 2012
summerville,sc
Mactool, I don't see where you spoke directly to anyone with Kubota. Usually, the weak link in an event such as this is the dealer. It would pay to contact the local Kubota rep. If he told me that a "stick knocked the hose off and didn't damage the hose", I would suggest contacting his boss. The most likely event of a stick hitting a properly installed hose would be it pulling the bottom out of the radiator. That's a point that I would be willing to jump up on his desk and do a dick dance to get across. From everything you have said to this point, you are getting shafted. "millions for defense, not one penny for tribute"

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
Mactool, back in post #13 you mentioned the person who came out to find/fix the hose said Kubota ins. would cover a new engine if necessary.

The fee for the insurance coverage for the engine that cooked because of dealer competencies should not be your expense, it is the dealers expense.

I would insist, they buy the engine, they install the engine--and in a timely fashion.

As a consumer, one of the best levers you (we) have is to be fair in the evaluation of a problem, and when the originator of the problem can not take responsibility for the situation---contact your local TV station.

The TV stations like this kind of reporting because all consumers see your point of view at the station attracts a larger audience. (Which translates to advertising dollars.)

The Kubota dealer has a line item in his budget for advertising, and he sure does not want the kind of publicity you provide when you report his gross neglect to his market. Because at that point the funds in that line item are wasted and it takes many time that money to get back to even!!

Look online and find who is the principal owner of the local store. Contact them, don't deal with someone who can not make a statement they can not back up.

Mactool

Equipment
L3301HST S185 cat425
Apr 17, 2015
Alborn, MN
Guys thanks for the support I was able to contact someone from Kubota out of Fort Worth they are going to re-evaluate. I also stopped by today and they showed be a scuff on the hose so I took a video of me duplicating the scuff with my fingernail I told them this is just as ridiculous as telling me that a stick caught the drain plug on the oil pan and spun it out. here is a link to the Video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KGrxr6ckfL0'

Mactool

Equipment
L3301HST S185 cat425
Apr 17, 2015
Alborn, MN
So today I filled a complaint with the Attorney General of the state, contacted an attorney and determined a $2k retainer at this point I do not want the tractor fixed because of the experience. First the dealer told me that the engine would be just fine after seizing up, then after 10 days finally agreed to test it now wants me to take blame for using it for its express intended purpose. They delivered it to me with the brush cutter attached. If the product is not capable of doing that without failing then either return the product or replace it. I am not willing to wait 3-6 weeks more for an engine to be installed. The sales man told me it was capable of cutting 1.5-2" brush which is exactly what I was doing. It angers me that we are arguing over whether the hose was pushed off by a stick (to which there is still no evidence other than location of the hose after it came off). I want to stick with Kubota because I know they make a good product but if they are unwilling to provide adequate customer service I will be forced elsewhere and I can't believe it is going to cost me $2K to force them to do the right thing.

CaveCreekRay

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3800 HST, KingKutter box scraper, KingKutter 66" rake, County Pride Subsoiler
Jul 11, 2014
Cave Creek, AZ
Have them take the $2k off your new tractor.

This is another fine example of a dealer absolutely screwing the Kubota brand name.

There were no hose clamps attached to that hose right? No marks? Case over.

Name Kubota in your legal claim to get them involved and you will get this resolved. Hopefully, your dealer will get sanctioned by Kubota.

rentthis

Lifetime Member
May 30, 2012
summerville,sc
Don't spend the 2k before you talk to the KUBOTA rep. He will very likely do something satisfactory and you will have spent 2k for nothing. There ain't a chance in Hades they will refund legal fees.

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Massey Ferguson 1825E, Kubota Z121S, Box blade, Rotary Cutter
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
Coolant lines just don't fall off completely :confused: bottom comes loose, or the top comes loose. It takes quite a bit of force if the clamps are tight, and the more likely scenario is you would have had a coolant line stabbed if a branch got drove into it. Even with hose clamps slightly loose, you would have had a small leak develop, not the hose going on walk about. Clamps were either left loose, back too far where they didn't catch the pipes, or not installed. Also most hose's fit really snug.

Have the dealer hook that coolant line back up to the tractor and demostrate with the clamps tight, how it could fall off and video it. It should make him look like the biggest idiot and crook out there. The only other way for it to just fall off is for it to be the wrong size hose and to large for the nipples off the motor and radiator. Which is a warranty issue. Any decent mechanic could have a field day with this as a witness for you

Apogee

Equipment
B6100, B7100, B8200, B9200, G4200, L175, L35
Jan 22, 2012
Tacoma, WA
Mac,

Just wondering if you have an update?

I'm raising this back up to the top of the board it keep it visible.

Also, you didn't know I was going to do this, but I sent Kubota an email and requested that it be elevated to the CEO of Kubota North America. In it I linked this thread...

I'd like to know if you've heard anything further from them?

My fingers are crossed for you.

Kind regards,

Steve

ShaunRH

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200
May 14, 2014
Atascadero, CA
I agree, the idea a stick could magically pull off the lower radiator hose is worse than me winning the national lottery. Kubota cannot back this claim and they know it. I think the dealer is pushing this so they don't look like fools in not tightening down a lower hose hard enough. That hose blew off, plain and simple.

The scrape is easily caused by the blow off and brushing the side door.

One more thing, Kubota factory coolant does NOT smell like standard anti-freeze to me. I almost boiled over my unit and the whistling steam was my only clue. The coolant was extremely mild smelling. Gonna replace with Prestone over time.

rentthis

Lifetime Member
May 30, 2012
summerville,sc
Shaun, from what I have seen in the stacks of crates of tractors at my dealership, Kubota tractors are delivered with the hoses and coolant installed. I might be wrong but this might have been overlooked at the factory.

Mactool

Equipment
L3301HST S185 cat425
Apr 17, 2015
Alborn, MN
Well I got my tractor back today exactly one month from when I bought it after a lot of argument and giving up on the dealership thanks to David Hagertty at Kubota my tractor got a new engine. I was going to fight for a new machine but decided to get it back and save my money. I did file a complaint with the AG of the state and to be honest this issue had nothing to do with Kubota but the dealership owner who decided before even looking into it that what happened was my fault. Once I got ahold of the Kubota Service rep it was taken care of. I picked up my tractor and drove 100 miles to another dealer and paid cash for a new grapple and 3rd function switch. As a business owner I can not understand why my dealer treated me like this. I love the tractor and can't wait to finally put it to use.

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
Mac I have to guess that some dealers once they have your money they could care less if they ever see you again. Seems a lot of business are like that one sale is all they care about and if they don't sell to you then the next guy will buy it. Im glad you got some compensation, for the trouble you went through, and I hope you told the other dealer WHY YOU WERE THERE and how you were treated by the other guy.

Also who was the dealer you had all this trouble with anyway? That way somebody else might not have the same trouble with them you did,, by not buying from them in the first place. It pays to know who the shumks out there

Tooljunkie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L1501,home built carry all, mini plow blade.
May 13, 2014
Lac Du Bonnet, Manitoba,Canada
Oh no,tractor came back for warranty(how can i get out of this)
By passing the cause of fault on to customer.

Warranty work in some eyes is a loss of poetntial income. Factory pays dealer reduced rate to usually cover tech's rate

Others see it as keeping people employed and good service begat good customers.

My story, did 4700 worth of work on vehicle, took it for alignment where tech broke locking wheel nut key.
They fixed it and sent owner a bill.
I took bill and paid it. I was the customer, not vehicle owner, althoug not a mistake on my part i felt i had to step up, knowing full well its my loss.
Customer happy, alignment shop gets paid and no hard feelings. Ya, im gonna go broke doing this.

Glad you got an engine,its the least they could do. They now have a new lightly used engine to sell. Sort of.

Burt

Equipment
L3700SU, box blade, 6 foot rhino blade, 1 bottom plow, 3 point receiver hitch.
Mar 24, 2012
Goldendale, WA USA
Well I got my tractor back today exactly one month from when I bought it after a lot of argument and giving up on the dealership thanks to David Hagertty at Kubota my tractor got a new engine. I was going to fight for a new machine but decided to get it back and save my money. I did file a complaint with the AG of the state and to be honest this issue had nothing to do with Kubota but the dealership owner who decided before even looking into it that what happened was my fault. Once I got ahold of the Kubota Service rep it was taken care of. I picked up my tractor and drove 100 miles to another dealer and paid cash for a new grapple and 3rd function switch. As a business owner I can not understand why my dealer treated me like this. I love the tractor and can't wait to finally put it to use.
Mactool,

Sorry for your weird and bad experience. I agree that it sounded like a dealer trying to save face and make money on a deal gone bad.

Yours is a true case done well. Dealers reputations with the factory are critical. You did good filing with the AG and pushing it. For me, your tractor was not fit for the purpose for which it was intended when you got it new. The factory rep was honorable in getting you a new engine. Sometimes you just have to pursue things formally like you did.

Good job

Burt

cerlawson

Equipment
rotiller, box scraper,etc.
Feb 24, 2011
PORTAGE, WI
Sounds to me that the next tractor should be blue in color. Check locally and tell your story to them.