Bad Fuel and Fuel Filter Question

alex

Equipment
MX5100
Feb 8, 2012
americus,ga
Kinda new to this so forgive me if this has been ask and answered a million times. Cranked my tractor and it made it about 100 yds before stalling out. Finally got it back to the barn. Had a mechanic come by and he told me I had algae in my fuel. So he drained to entire fuel tank and we added new fuel, and treated it and changed out the cartridge filter. Didn't have time to really run the tractor until today (two weeks later). So after about a 10 minutes or so of running it the same thing happened. It bogged down/stalled out. I pulled the fuel filter and it had a nice looking loogie on it.

So question: Should i just keep putting new fuel filter cartridge until this clears up? Is there a second fuel filter on this tractor? I was asked if there were two fuel filters. Guess it would help if i told you i own a MX5100. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
Probably the best thing is to drain the tank and wash it out until nothing but clean fuel comes out. If not you'll continue to change filters until it's all gone.

alex

Equipment
MX5100
Feb 8, 2012
americus,ga
Bulldog...thanks for the quick reply. I'm an idiot when it comes to mechanical stuff. We did drain the entire tank on the tractor already. And I'm game to do whatever, but just for clarification. Drain it again and put new fuel in and let that drain until fuel is clean? And by clean do you mean no loogies? Because the off road fuel i use looks clean when we drained it but i really don't know what I'm looking for.

BigG

Equipment
l2501, FEL, BB, Rotary cutter, rake,spreader, roller, etc. New Holland TL80 A
Sep 14, 2018
West Central,FL
You will need to clean up your tank before refueling it. The repeated changing of filters can add up pretty quickly. You could route the fuel line from the bottom of the tank off to the side, taking it loose at the filter. Drain the tank with the fuel that is in it and then wash the fuel tank out with a hose until the water runs clear. Use the blowing side of a shop vac to blow dry the tank or simple let it dry out with an air line and rag to block the top of the tank, blowing as much of the water out as you can. Make sure it is completely dry.

Clamp/plug your fuel line. Add a few gallons of fuel to the tank and let it run out the fuel line into a clear glass container and check for algae or water in the fuel. If it looks good add an algicide and a fuel drier to your fuel tank. Use your owners manual to show you how to prime your fuel system and start the tractor. Fill the tank with fuel, algicide and dry fuel following the instructions on the package.

You can buy a funnel that has a filter from Tractor Supply or NAPA which removes water and algae and reuse the fuel that you drained from the tractor.

Keep a couple of fuel filters on hand and continue to add the algicide and the fuel dryer. Try not to buy fuel and leave it for extended lengths of time, keep it fresh to avoid problems in the future.

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
Like BigG said it needs to be drained and washed. Algea can really make a mess and hard to get it all out. I had seen it be bad enough that it looked like dirt in the tank and be hard as a brick. If it's still slimy it's easier to deal with but without washing it out it will continue to be a problem. Take the time to do it right once and it will save you a ton of money in filters.

Tx Jim

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040 HDC-1,JD 4255,Ford 6700
Apr 30, 2013
Coyote Flats,Texas
Has any fuel conditioner with Biocide be added to fuel tank? If not some Biocide needs to be added. Water must be present in fuel tank for algae/fungus to grow.

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
M9000HDCC3, M9000HD, Kubota GS850 Sidekick
Oct 28, 2018
USA
Finally, besides using an algaecide like Power Service Bio-Kleen in your fuel with every fill, keep the fuel tank(s) full as possible when not using the tractor. Fuel sitting in a partially full tank for an extended period, the tank can sweat inside (think of a glass of cold beverage and how the outside sweats on a warm day, same thing happens inside the fuel tank.

The condensate gets in the diesel and grows algae. Keeping it full eliminates that water.

When I park my units over the winter, the fuel tanks are always full, units are serviced (in the fall) and the batteries are disconnected from the tractors.

Most importantly, the tanks are full.

alex

Equipment
MX5100
Feb 8, 2012
americus,ga
Thanks again for all the help.

Yes, after we drained the original "bad" fuel, we added new fuel from another source and then shocked treated it with an algaecide I got from NAPA.

I have a 50 gallon tank i keep out at the farm, never had this trouble. Actually, i got the fuel back in March. Nonetheless, I will definitely take ya'lls advice and top off the tank. Now that i know what kind of grief this algae causes...i'll start treated both the big tank and the tractor's tank as well.

Just as a comment though, it's crazy how this has occurred being that I have owned this tractor for 10 years and have never experienced this before. Guess there's always a first time for everything.
Again, for all of us "dummies" when it comes to tractors and equipment...THANK YOU for taking the time to answer our questions. I really appreciate it!

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
M9000HDCC3, M9000HD, Kubota GS850 Sidekick
Oct 28, 2018
USA
If I were you, I'd dose your 50 gallon tank with biocide as well. I have a 500 skid mount tank and it gets biocide when my delivery man fills it, always.

One thing to keep in mind with algae and that is, the remains after death of the organisms can and will cause pump and injector issues if they get past the filter for an y reason.

Not sure what NAPA sells, I use the Powerservice Bio-Kleen aggaecide because it's available at TSC. Whatever you purchase, if the bottle isn't loaded with precautionary statements about the product, it isn't a biocide. All biocides are controlled by the EPA.