Bacon!

Kurtee

Equipment
BX2660, BX2680 cab, JD 2032R, Honda 5518, JD X590, JD X739
Oct 3, 2013
Nicollet, mn
Great replies guys! Yes, I have been buying from a butcher as well. Grocery store is a little more convenient due to my location. So my own fault. Grocery store stuff is so dang thin you can’t get it out of the packaging without the slices looking like they been thru a paper shredder!. Then I see their dang commercials on tv advertising their company history and perfection of their product…drives me nuts. ….
Is it a long drive?

I live in a community that has 2 meat markets and find bacon no problem. The also offer cottage bacon which is great. The one meat market is one of the best known in southern MN. People travel long distances for their products. I can get thick cut bacon as easily as asking. There are other meat markets within striking distance also. Must be a lucky soul in that aspect. My wife likes gritwurst and we have tryed different market varieties. Kind of an adventure to go for a drive to find delicious foods. Cheese is also another adventure trip. As my forebears have said "Most people eat to live, but the Danes live to eat."

Reactions: 1 user

The Evil Twin

Equipment
L2501, LA526,
Jul 19, 2022
Virginia
Really not that much work if you do a dry cure. You can cut the belly in half and cure it in a couple 2 gal zip lock bags or just wrap it in plastic wrap. After a week take it out and cold smoke if you want. Rinse before smoking or cutting. Get it really cold before slicing. Makes it a ton easier to get the thickness you want.
Just did some cold smoking last night. Cheeses though. No meats.
That made me think- seen the charcoal bags lately? They are smaller. Kingsford used to be two 20 lb bags for $20ish. Now it is two 16 lb bags for $19.

johnjk

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B3200 w/loader, Woods RC5 brush hog, 4' box blade, tooth bar, B1700 MMM,
Apr 13, 2017
West Mansfield, OH
Just did some cold smoking last night. Cheeses though. No meats.
That made me think- seen the charcoal bags lately? They are smaller. Kingsford used to be two 20 lb bags for $20ish. Now it is two 16 lb bags for $19.
I have not and I need to stock up. I use only lump charcoal so it is Royal Oak or whatever is on sale.

The Evil Twin

Equipment
L2501, LA526,
Jul 19, 2022
Virginia
I have not and I need to stock up. I use only lump charcoal so it is Royal Oak or whatever is on sale.
Yessir. Kingsford used to have the 20 pound 2 pack for 55 cents/ lb. Now, the 16 pound 2 pack is 62 cents/ lb. Same great price on the shelf, new smaller size.
Before the Kung Flu, Lowes would have sales in May. Half price on charcoal. So 40 lbs was $10! My neighbor and I would go up and have them drop a pallet in my truck. We would split the cost and we're set for the rest of the year.

Flintknapper

Premium Member

Equipment
L2350DT
May 3, 2022
Deep East Texas
What do you do with all those pests?
Kill them. 'Recycle' them *unless someone wants some*

Start all over again. No end to them.

Coyotes and Buzzards will completely strip a carcass in less than two days.

I've been battling them for over 30 years now on my place. And while I can make a 'dent' in the population...they just keep making more.

Bacon Bits:

• Wow

armylifer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX1860, FEL, RCK54P MMM, BB1548 Box Scraper, Quick Hitch, Piranha Bar, BX6315
Mar 26, 2013
Thurston County, WA
Kill them. 'Recycle' them *unless someone wants some*

Start all over again. No end to them.

Coyotes and Buzzards will completely strip a carcass in less than two days.

I've been battling them for over 30 years now on my place. And while I can make a 'dent' in the population...they just keep making more.

Bacon Bits:

Now they are migrating into the Northern United States from Canada.

johnjk

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 13, 2017
West Mansfield, OH
Haven’t made it to my place yet. I’m sighted in to 300 yards so let them come visit. I will have the smoker and freezer prepped. Had cattle from a neighboring farm get loose a few years back. Apparently you cannot keep them if you catch them.

johnjk

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 13, 2017
West Mansfield, OH
Yessir. Kingsford used to have the 20 pound 2 pack for 55 cents/ lb. Now, the 16 pound 2 pack is 62 cents/ lb. Same great price on the shelf, new smaller size.
Before the Kung Flu, Lowes would have sales in May. Half price on charcoal. So 40 lbs was $10! My neighbor and I would go up and have them drop a pallet in my truck. We would split the cost and we're set for the rest of the year.
I usually stock up late October when the stores want to make room for winter stuff. Bought 8 bags and have a half left. Believe it or not Wally World has good prices. Last fall it was $8 a bag on clearance. Probably 18 now. I switch between Frontier/Cowboy and Royal Oak. Get a good mix of lump sizes that way.

The Evil Twin

Equipment
L2501, LA526,
Jul 19, 2022
Virginia
I usually stock up late October when the stores want to make room for winter stuff. Bought 8 bags and have a half left. Believe it or not Wally World has good prices. Last fall it was $8 a bag on clearance. Probably 18 now. I switch between Frontier/Cowboy and Royal Oak. Get a good mix of lump sizes that way.
And a good mix of flavors!

Flintknapper

Premium Member

Equipment
L2350DT
May 3, 2022
Deep East Texas
Haven’t made it to my place yet. I’m sighted in to 300 yards so let them come visit.
I built a dedicated "hog gun' about 15 yrs ago. 458 SOCOM.

I don't know how many hundreds I've killed with it over the years.

I like to let them get them 'lined up' at a feeder or bait site.

Send a 540 grain hard-cast bullet. It will shoot through as many as you can get lined up.

458 Teppo_2.jpg

Filled1.jpg

BT1.jpg

BT5.jpg

Reactions: 4 users

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
I built a dedicated "hog gun' about 15 yrs ago. 458 SOCOM.

I don't know how many hundreds I've killed with it over the years.

I like to let them get them 'lined up' at a feeder or bait site.

Send a 540 grain hard-cast bullet. It will shoot through as many as you can get lined up.

View attachment 98591
View attachment 98592
View attachment 98593
View attachment 98594
Been a long time since I reloaded. Impressive round with the 458.

What kind of distance do you use it?

Flintknapper

Premium Member

Equipment
L2350DT
May 3, 2022
Deep East Texas
Been a long time since I reloaded. Impressive round with the 458.

What kind of distance do you use it?
Depends on the load. My Staple loads are all 300 gr. and a 405 gr. Jacketed Soft Point. I can shoot out to about 200 yds. with those before they begin to drop like a marble off a table.

With the 540 gr. I generally shoot 125 yds. and in. But I have 'hog stands' at 100 yds that overlook automatic feeders and LED 'hog lights' on a photocell (that come on at dark).

IMG_9646.JPG

Night1.jpg
Night2.jpg