Backhoe pin MIA

Runs With Scissors

Equipment
L2501 TLB , Grappel, Brush Hog, Box Blade, Ballast box, Forks, Tiller, PH digger
Jan 25, 2023
Michigan
The weather was kind of iffy this morning for fishing, so I decided to do some Tractor'n instead.

We only have 5 acres and most of it is sh!t woods. Mostly 1 to 4 inch small trees and Vietnam thick.

I have a blind out back near the property line and a small clearing for a "food plot".

I wanted a "shooting lane" so I can get off a 100 yard shot instead of the current 50 foot shot during hunting season. LOL

It will also will double as a "dirt track" for my for my grandkids Go-carts/mini bikes...etc

Heres the blind and a shot 180 degrees at start of the day.

20230810_090601.jpeg

20230810_090557.jpeg

Runs With Scissors

Equipment
L2501 TLB , Grappel, Brush Hog, Box Blade, Ballast box, Forks, Tiller, PH digger
Jan 25, 2023
Michigan
Man I can't explain how much I love that damn Backhoe.

The ripper tooth is icing on the cake.

I started out with the bucket, and about 4 minutes into it, I grabbed the ripper tooth.

What a difference. Its night and day. I'm gonna try videoing some the techniques I have been trying, I just gotta find a way to set it up. Go-pro maybe?

Well anyway, about 6 hours later, I am stepping back onto the backhoe and I see this.

1000004051.jpeg

Last edited:

Runs With Scissors

Equipment
Jan 25, 2023
Michigan
Yep the damn pin fell out.

Well that ended the day.

I got about 50'ish yards done of the projected 100. Still needs some attention, but not a bad start.

I put the tractor in the pic for size reference.

1000004050.jpeg

I searched high and low for that pin, but nothing.

I called the local dealer for a new pin, but "no joy".....said it would be a week.

But he gave me the part number and said another dealer had it about 2 hours south of me.

Luckily the old lady is coming up tonight, so I bought it from them and had them put it outside their fence so she can grab it on her way up. BACK IN BUSINESS BABY!!!

I gotta give a big shout out to the guys at Ginops Kubota in Hillman Mi.....They really have treated me very well and gone the extra mile.

Also the guys at Lingles Equipment in Saginaw MI for working with me, and putting it outside the gate so she can pick it up after hours.

Last edited:

Runs With Scissors

Equipment
Jan 25, 2023
Michigan
I'll probably find that pin with my "magic steel pin finding rototiller" 😦

Reactions: 1 users

Fordtech86

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200
Aug 7, 2018
Pineville,LA
Make sure the sliding piece on the pin is in the lower hole that keeps it from coming out. Not by mine right now to post a pic

Runs With Scissors

Equipment
Jan 25, 2023
Michigan
Make sure the sliding piece on the pin is in the lower hole that keeps it from coming out. Not by mine right now to post a pic
Yes sir, I know exactly what your talking about. I sure thought it was.

The terrain is very rough, so I'm wondering if it got vibrated loose somehow?

My subconscious is working on some sort of fix so this doesn't happen again.

Something like cutting off the factory lock pin, and using a D-ring locking style pin.

ve9aa

Equipment
TG1860, BX2380 -backblade, bx2830 snowblower, fel, weight box,pallet forks,etc
Apr 11, 2021
NB, Canada

Something like cutting off the factory pin, and using a locking style pin.
Melvin (from the Simpsons) has it
1691697263002.png

• Haha

Fordtech86

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200
Aug 7, 2018
Pineville,LA

Something like cutting off the factory pin, and using a locking style pin.
Good deal! Was just making sure cause I’ve seen other threads here where people putting it in that top hole and it won’t stay in. 🍻

Reactions: 1 user

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma

Something like cutting off the factory lock pin, and using a D-ring locking style pin.
I am not familiar with your specific pin issue, but .....
I have a 1"dia. long pin for my BH quick connect, that has a propensity to find it's way out.
It comes with a "D-ring" style locking pin, but the loss of that locking pin creates the loss of the big pin.
($100 + days waiting for UPS)
My solution: Use a bolt with double nuts, instead of the locking pin, and carry two appropriate size small open end wrenches.

Trimley

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX23SLSB-R-1 plus additions
Jul 25, 2023
PNW-WA
What about adding a cable lanyard, that stays fast on the backhoe?

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
On items that might be easy to loose or fall off of a tractor I paint orange or red paint: pry bars, crescent wrenches, chain hooks and a foot or so of chain.

cthomas

Lifetime Member

Equipment
LX2610 HSDC
Jan 1, 2017
La Farge Wi
Is that the pin laying in the picture in the upper right corner about 1/3 down?

ve9aa

Equipment
TG1860, BX2380 -backblade, bx2830 snowblower, fel, weight box,pallet forks,etc
Apr 11, 2021
NB, Canada
Is that the pin laying in the picture in the upper right corner about 1/3 down?
What? Copy the picture with Microsoft snipping tool and circle the place you're talking about.

It's like some kind of puzzle where we all see different things. (I'm not seeing it)

rc51stierhoff

Equipment
B2650, MX6000, Ford 8N, (BX sold)
Sep 13, 2021
Ohio
That is a kick in the balls for sure…now I am gonna be paranoid about mine…obviously I am not wrapped around the axles enough already…thanks for that😉.

i wonder if it was in the shrapnel from the piñata at the party?

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users

Trimley

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX23SLSB-R-1 plus additions
Jul 25, 2023
PNW-WA
In my situation, any sort of cable would be a real nuisance.
I'll take your word for it. After seeing this thread (when mine gets here) I'll be looking it over for a solution. Losing a pin would not be good at any time, except down time.

Runs With Scissors

Equipment
Jan 25, 2023
Michigan
I am not familiar with your specific pin issue, but .....
I have a 1"dia. long pin for my BH quick connect, that has a propensity to find it's way out.
It comes with a "D-ring" style locking pin, but the loss of that locking pin creates the loss of the big pin.
($100 + days waiting for UPS)
My solution: Use a bolt with double nuts, instead of the locking pin, and carry two appropriate size small open end wrenches.
Fried, I think you mean the ripper tooth pin. I have solved that by accidentally finding a lock pin that "snaps" in place . It hasn't failed me yet.

MotherF$$@er !!!!!! I literally just went out to take a picture to show you how I "solved" that problem and found this.

20230811_052534.jpeg

And while bragging about my "Pin Solution", I Just found out that I snapped off my gosh damn "pull chain" that I welded on to remove the pin.

Before.

20230417_160434.jpeg

Now

20230811_052440.jpeg

You might be right Fried, a bolt and lock nut.

KISS

Paul

Last edited:
  • Wow

Runs With Scissors

Equipment
Jan 25, 2023
Michigan
I suppose the good part about my "pull chain" being gone is that it shows that my welds held up.:)

Runs With Scissors

Equipment
Jan 25, 2023
Michigan
What about adding a cable lanyard, that stays fast on the backhoe?
Losing it sucks for sure; However, ideally, I would like it to "not fall out" in the first place, so i'm concentrating on a solution for that.

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
Fried, I think you mean the ripper tooth pin. I have solved that by accidentally finding a lock pin that "snaps" in place . It hasn't failed me yet.

MotherF$$@er !!!!!! I literally just went out to take a picture to show you how I "solved" that problem and found this.

View attachment 109020

And while bragging about my "Pin Solution", I Just found out that I snapped off my gosh damn "pull chain" that I welded on to remove the pin.

Before.

View attachment 109021

Now

View attachment 109022

KISS

Paul
Not to be snotty but, may I say.......I

View attachment 109020

Before.

View attachment 109021

Now

View attachment 109022

KISS

Paul
Not a lock nut, but.....A bolt, with two nuts locked/jammed together.