• Total voters

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
I did not consider those when I posed the question. So I would say "no"

I was thinking specifically of tractor mounted ones, just because they get the "bad rap" of being "ridiculously priced".

But that sure looks handy, and is way better than a shovel. (y)
Way better than a shovel. It has a digging chain on the back that can easily dig 4' deep and up to 12" wide. Much FASTER then a hoe at that job. 40 HP engine, and all runs with hydraulics. Can creep as slow as desired. 6-way backfill blade. Can backfill a trench in minutes! Leave the tractor nearby to do tractor work!

Reactions: 1 user

Trimley

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX23SLSB-R-1 plus additions
Jul 25, 2023
PNW-WA
My BX23s is more a toy than anything to me. I previously had a Deere x739. It was great for what it was, then I found I was pushing it to extremes. And it gulped fuel.

My reasoning for buying a SCUT, I'm not able to do the manual labor like I use too anymore.

My son drives by my place (at minimum) 10x/week, never stops by, never ever calls, never asks if I need any help (which I do and have MANY times over the years).

I do not like to be reliant on others. I'm very well rounded in knowledge and skills, but my previous work and play lifestyle is filing more and more complaints with HR as the years go by.

The BX23s never tells me they're busy, late, sick, can't make it, and I never have to return a favor.

I may not USE the BH a lot. Yes, it may spend most of its time on the cart in my shop, but if a need arises, it's there.

Septic systems and drainfields are not cheap. Moreso not cheap if you have to hire a contractor and crew to fix it.

Over the years, I've hand dug my main waterline from the pumphouse to the house (3ft deep) due to burst Poly line Three times. The last time I hired a friend to fix it. Even that was expensive.

Hiring a crew or individual to install a new well pump, then run a new water line from the well head to the pump house (also buried 3ft down), that's also a big expense.

Pre-Covid, prices were tolerable.

Post-Covid, inflation made me wiser.

Currently my BH is a novelty item. But its there when it's needed. 😉

Enough reasoning.
No, you can't borrow it.

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 users

Geezer3d

Equipment
Kubota LX2610SU
Apr 22, 2021
Heart of the Catskills
I have a BH77 on my LX2610. I use it often and it does what I need it to do. That said, I almost decided to spend the money on a mini-excavator instead. I could dig a lot faster and move the material further from the machine. Of course that would be a lot more money than an add-on backhoe. I borrowed one for a couple of days and the tracks really tear up the ground, so I think the BH is the best compromise for me.

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
It's a very small percentage of the people who own tractors. Basically, it's statistically insignificant for tractor owners no matter which selection "wins".

I find this poll kind of like asking anyone else who spent a lot of money for something if they like it. Almost all will say yes! Otherwise, they'd have to admit their mistake.

Seriously though, I see backhoes on properties when I drive around. They are almost never attached to a tractor.
I (homeowner) have owned two (Ford & Kubota) different BH's over 37 years.
Neither hoe has ever been off the tractor.

Last edited:

fried1765

Equipment
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
My BX23s is more a toy than anything to me. I previously had a Deere x739. It was great for what it was, then I found I was pushing it to extremes. And it gulped fuel.

My reasoning for buying a SCUT, I'm not able to do the manual labor like I use too anymore.

My son drives by my place (at minimum) 10x/week, never stops by, never ever calls, never asks if I need any help (which I do and have MANY times over the years).

I do not like to be reliant on others. I'm very well rounded in knowledge and skills, but my previous work and play lifestyle is filing more and more complaints with HR as the years go by.

The BX23s never tells me they're busy, late, sick, can't make it, and I never have to return a favor.

I may not USE the BH a lot. Yes, it may spend most of its time on the cart in my shop, but if a need arises, it's there.

Septic systems and drainfields are not cheap. Moreso not cheap if you have to hire a contractor and crew to fix it.

Over the years, I've hand dug my main waterline from the pumphouse to the house (3ft deep) due to burst Poly line Three times. The last time I hired a friend to fix it. Even that was expensive.

Hiring a crew or individual to install a new well pump, then run a new water line from the well head to the pump house (also buried 3ft down), that's also a big expense.

Pre-Covid, prices were tolerable.

Post-Covid, inflation made me wiser.

Enough reasoning.
No, you can't borrow it.
I have used the same BH logic over past 37 years.
My BH logic ($$$$) has served me well!

Last edited:

fried1765

Equipment
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
Way better than a shovel. It has a digging chain on the back that can easily dig 4' deep and up to 12" wide. Much FASTER then a hoe at that job. 40 HP engine, and all runs with hydraulics. Can creep as slow as desired. 6-way backfill blade. Can backfill a trench in minutes! Leave the tractor nearby to do tractor work!
The Key words are:.... "at that job"

2001TLB

Equipment
L48TLB, 60" EA SSQA Root Rake Grapple, EA SSQA Fork lift
Nov 14, 2021
Shelton, Washington
Just thought I'd see what actual backhoe owners thought about their purchase.
It's a little embarassing to admit, but not overly so...I have two. One is mostly a toy, the John Deere 855 with the #7 backhoe. The other is a serious machine, L48TLB with the BT1100 backhoe. No hydraulic thumb on either, though the L48 has a manual thumb, which comes in handy when you need it.
IMG_2371.jpeg

IMG_6437.jpeg

Doug

Reactions: 5 users

Donystoy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
LX2610HSDCC, B/H, Loader, plus numerous other attachments. B7200 sold
Dec 10, 2013
Binbrook, Ontario
Have had a b/h since 1986 and would not be without it. When I ordered my lx2610 last fall a b/h was top of the list.

Soopitup

Equipment
BX23S
Oct 25, 2018
New England
Well, since I've ordered mine and haven't received it yet I'm obviously an expert.
I wouldn't buy a tractor without one. But I have alot of excavating to do. Not so much field/woods work.

This is why I had girls. :p

I'm eagerly awaiting my BX23. Hopefully here Fri!

Reactions: 4 users

mdhughes

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3901DT
Dec 10, 2014
Ste Geneveive county, MO
I bought mine used, drove 103 miles one way to get it. Had to buy the 4-point mount from Kubota, the guy didn't want to take it off his tractor. Bought the BH77, two buckets and the manual thumb.

Still would like to put a hydraulic cylinder on the thumb.

He is a picture of it just after finishing the install of the sub-frame.

15_37_03.jpg

Reactions: 9 users

edritchey

Lifetime Member

Equipment
A bunch of cute little Kubotas
Jul 19, 2014
Wellsville, PA
It's a little embarassing to admit, but not overly so...I have two. One is mostly a toy, the John Deere 855 with the #7 backhoe. The other is a serious machine, L48TLB with the BT1100 backhoe. No hydraulic thumb on either, though the L48 has a manual thumb, which comes in handy when you need it.
View attachment 111478

View attachment 111479
Doug
I've had a crapload of backhoes before I retired my M59 was my favorite I only wish it had a nice heated cab on it I ended up trading it on a JD 510D 4x4 backhoe just to get an enclosed cab if the Kubota would have had a cab It would still be here. The L47 you have is a great machine I don't know why Kubota don't offer nice cabs on there TLBs

Last edited:

dirtydeed

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650 BH77, U27-4R2, BX23TLBM, box blade, rear blade, flail mower, Stump Grinder
Dec 8, 2017
Wind Gap, PA
Mine is sitting on the trailer tonight and ready to dig for $ tomorrow. Due to where the trench needs to go, the mini is staying home and the B with BH77 is stepping in this time. Yes, it will be slower than the mini for sure, but it will get it done. Perfect digging weather tomorrow.

Reactions: 3 users

AndyM

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX25DTLB
Sep 21, 2016
Vancouver Island Canada
I have posted a number of pictures on OTT over the years showing the ho in use in a variety of ways - I cannot imagine not having it. Even a little BX can do a LOT. Just takes more time.

Reactions: 1 users

dbertheau

Equipment
LX3310HSDC, FEL w/CB1060, PFL1242, LX2963, WM-8M Chipper
Mar 5, 2023
Nevada City, CA
Have had a b/h since 1986 and would not be without it. When I ordered my lx2610 last fall a b/h was top of the list.
I originally ordered my lx3310 cab with a bh77. As the tractor was being put together the dealer realized a different subframe was needed from what they ordered, due to the cab. And the correct subframe was not readily available. So I ended up taking delivery without the bh77.

I was wondering, how is the backhoe operation with a cab. Is it a little bit of a pain when digging a long trench??? Trying to decide if I should reorder the bh77.

Thanks

Last edited:

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
What about a Tractor BH adapted to fit on my bobcat?

Reactions: 1 users

Runs With Scissors

Equipment
L2501 TLB , Grappel, Brush Hog, Box Blade, Ballast box, Forks, Tiller, PH digger
Jan 25, 2023
Michigan
View attachment 111478

View attachment 111479
Doug
Nothing embarrassing about that.

Way cool man!

Runs With Scissors

Equipment
L2501 TLB , Grappel, Brush Hog, Box Blade, Ballast box, Forks, Tiller, PH digger
Jan 25, 2023
Michigan
Trying to decide if I should reorder the bh77.

Thanks

Not sure about the cab part, but the "hoe experts" seem to agree.

They simply "love their hoes", so I'm thinking "yes" is your answer.

fried1765

Equipment
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
View attachment 111478

View attachment 111479
Doug
VERY nice looking L48 TLB.
It appears that you have 3rd function also!
I have a 2006 L48 TLB with only 261 hours, + hyd thumb, and 3rd function.
A real workhorse!