B8200 Questions

chevyz98

May 11, 2010
Weatherford TX
I just recently purchased my first tractor. It's a 1986 B8200 hydrostatic 4wd
with a BF300 loader on it. It has 605 hours on it and seems to be a good little machine so far. I purchased it to help maintain the four acres we now live on. I payed 5700 for it : hope it was a fair deal.
I have used newer tractors of friends that are a little more user friendly so i have some questions about mine. Where is the fuel filter located? Where is the hydraulic filter at? There is a Dip stick to the right of on floor pan in front of the seat. Is this the hydraulic fluid dipstick? Should this be checked running or off? How do I check front and rear differential fluid levels? What kind of fluid in diffs and hydraulics? Sorry for all the Questions just want to maintain this best I can. I dont have a owners manual or repair manual. (Know where i can download one?)
My oil level seems to be a little high and what I suspect is the hydro fluid is low. Is this the dreaded seal leak at the pump? Will it hurt anything?

Once again thanks for reading and allowing a newbie into the forum.

dusty-t

Feb 17, 2009
Mountforest Ontario
Hi Chevy welcome to the forum. The dipstick is for the hydraulic fluid level.The hydrostatic drive and the hydraulic system share the same reservoir. There is a plastic cap under the left front of the seat this is where you fill the hyd fluid. You shut the tractor off to check the level. Dreaded seal? Change the engine oil. Top it up to the right level. Also top up your hydraulic fluid. Any generic hydraulic fluid will do for the moment. Run the tractor for 15 min or untill the oil starts running out the engine oil dipstick hole, which ever comes first. Then check the engine oil level and the hydraulic oil level. If the engine level is up or overflowing you have some thing getting into the engine. Check the hydraulic oil level and if it is low then the problem is that dreaded seal or seal and pump. $500.00. Check it out and let us know how you make out.:D Dusty P.S. Providing that there no other leaks in the hydrostat or hydraulic systems that would account for the fluid loss.

Last edited:

chevyz98

May 11, 2010
Weatherford TX
Ill check it and see but I have already put two hours on it since I have owned it and no oil is overflowing just noticed low hydro fluid. Previous owner said he had some hydraulic work done at a local dealer.(rebuiilt the loader joystick) Maybe they didnt get it topped off.

Thanks for all of your help and replies.

Theekillerbee

Jun 28, 2009
Pleasant View UT, USA
I think you'll be quite happy with your new purchase. Sounds like you paid a fair price for it.

The rear diff fluid is the same as the hydraulic fluid. They share the same reservoir.

Make sure that the oil you use is rated for Kubota UDT. Any major oil manufacturer will have a bucket that will suit your needs. It takes almost a full 5 gallons to do the fluid change, so don't just buy a few quarts of the stuff.

The fuel filter is located on the RH side of the tractor, a little in front of your HST pedal. It's quite obvious if you follow the fuel line out of the tank.

Your hydraulic filter is located on the LH side of the tractor, just behind the front part of the rear wheel well. Once again, easy to spot, as it looks like a spin on oil filter for your car...just make sure you don't put a car oil filter on here! It's got to be rated for the high pressure hydraulics. NAPA is a good source for matching Kubota filters.

One other thing, make sure you clean your hydraulic filter screen when you service the tractor. They are often forgotten, and can get some nasty stuff in them that will impede flow. You can see a nice writeup done by the fine folks at OTT.

pshorange

Equipment
B8200
May 9, 2010
CT
Where exactly is that hydraulic screen? Directly opposite on the other side (RH),and a couple inches in front of and above the mid pto?

Theekillerbee

Jun 28, 2009
Pleasant View UT, USA
It is on the RH side of the tractor. Mine is just a little below the HST mounting bracket. It has a metal line coming towards the rear of the tractor, and there is a bolt head right in the middle. The screen is in a sleeve inside the tractor, so it isn't obvious. Remember taking out that bolt/screen will drain all the fluid out of your tranny, so be prepared to replace it. Check here for a pic of what they look like.