B7200HST

Medic13

Jul 10, 2017
Headingley, Manitoba Canada
Hey All,
I've got a B7200HST and was mowing the grass with a RC60-72H mid-mount mower when all of a sudden the tractor just stopped moving under it's own power and a "rattling" sound coming from what appears to be the right hand side of the HST transmission.

The input shaft is still spinning, but there's no movement on the output shaft. When I first start the tractor it sounds normal, then after about 15-30 seconds the noise starts and remains whether the tractor in in high or low range or neutral. Hydraulic / Trans fluid is in normal range. The rest of the hydraulics seem to be working normally (bucket and rear 3 point arms).

Before this happened everything was running as normal.

Thanks for the help.

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3901/LA525, B7200DT/B1630, G2160/RCK60, G2460/RCK60
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
Hey All,
I've got a B7200HST and was mowing the grass with a RC60-72H mid-mount mower when all of a sudden the tractor just stopped moving under it's own power and a "rattling" sound coming from what appears to be the right hand side of the HST transmission.

The input shaft is still spinning, but there's no movement on the output shaft. When I first start the tractor it sounds normal, then after about 15-30 seconds the noise starts and remains whether the tractor in in high or low range or neutral. Hydraulic / Trans fluid is in normal range. The rest of the hydraulics seem to be working normally (bucket and rear 3 point arms).

Before this happened everything was running as normal.

Thanks for the help.
I have a B7200DT and I know absolutely nothing about the HST transmssion but the driveline on these machines is almost 40 years old and old stuff breaks. I have had three different driveline failures in the 30 years I have owned mine. In fact mine is currently sitting in the shop leaking oil. I was mowing the grass and it made a loud noise. The outer end of the fourth (??) shaft that powers the FWD snapped at the yoke on the rear u-joint. It still moved but no FWD. Not super expensive but I was moaning to the wife about having to tear the trans down (again) to fix it and she said "I think you need a new tractor". Voila - new L3901 now sitting next to the B7200 :rolleyes:

Joking aside I suspect something has snapped inside the HST - I will pull out the workshop manual in a bit and see what's what in there. The good news is the transmission and final drive parts (at least for the gear drive) are still available and as I said not super expensive.

Dan

Reactions: 1 user

twomany

Equipment
B7200
Jul 10, 2017
Vermont
could be the clutch. Spinning but no power. (I assume your observation that "the input shaft is still spinning". took place at idle , not moving.

It doesn't take much to spin the input shaft on a HST if no output is required.

Just an idea....

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

Medic13

Jul 10, 2017
Headingley, Manitoba Canada
Thanks guys. The tractor had stopped in my back yard yesterday, so when I got home from work today I went out to shoot a quick video of it and thought I'd try to put it in gear. Well it started to move. I put it back in neutral and buttoned up the hydrostatic cover, and got on, then decided to try the mower and then started making that "rattling" sound again and wouldn't move. I turned off the PTO and no luck, shut the engine off and started it again and still no luck.
I was going to attach the video clip I took but the site won't let me.