B7200 runs but won't drive

Pat Pending

Jul 19, 2009
Phoenix, AZ
So I rebuilt the D950 engine in my 7200 about 6 months ago. Got it to run, tried out the hydraulics and drove it around a little. The hydrostatic groaned a bit, suggesting low fluid (since confirmed). It got worse as I exercised the hydraulics so I parked it.

Today I went out, added fluid (perhaps a little overfilled), started the engine and found that I can't drive at all! The hydraulics work great and tax the engine appropriately but it's as if I'm stuck in neutral. Pedal travel goes full forward and backward without the tractor moving at all and without loading the engine. High & low speed lever seems to positively engage in either setting so I don't think that's it.

Is there any kind of a bypass or something that I'm overlooking?

eserv

Equipment
BX24, A1000 Kubota Generator
May 27, 2009
Hardisty, Alberta
There is no bypass to worry about. sounds like a charge pump problem to me. have you cleaned the hst screen on the left side rear of your tractor? it might be clogged, doubtful though. remove the HST spin on filter and crank the engine to see if oil comes out, if not you will need a new charge pump. The hydraulic system is completely separate from the HST so it can work fine and still have no HST

irish

Equipment
B7200
Jan 18, 2010
Ireland
I have a similar problem with a B7200D (4WD + gears).

I have just bought the tractor. It was was behaving perfectly. I decided to do a service on all fluids and filters.
Changed air, fuel and engine oil. So far so good.
Then I got brave and decided to change the transmission fluid and clean the filter on the right hand side as described in various articles here on Orange tractors. It was in good condition, with only a little metallic debris.
Cleaned and refilled with transmission fluid.
DISASTER.......... Now the tractor will not go into gear. It tears as if the clutch is not depressed. he hydraulic lift arms appear to work normally.

HELP! HELP! please
What 'ave I done

irish

irish

Equipment
B7200
Jan 18, 2010
Ireland
OMG I feel soooo stupid. You were right.
It was the HI -LO lever "stuck" in mid position.
Thanks a mill..... Party time in Ireland!!!!!!

A couple of further question please.
When I changed the transmission fluid I only opened the nut on the side of where the filter enters the transmission (on th Right side under the footrest.
I have since discovered on Orange tractors that there is another drain near the pto.Does this mean I have only partially drained the system?
Should I change the oil again, this time doing so at the pto drain?
Finally, The glow plug indicator on the dash does not have a cover and is open to the elements, Is this normal or should it have a glass or plastic cover?

Thank you Vic.

Irish

Pat Pending

Jul 19, 2009
Phoenix, AZ
Whoo Hoo! I drained the hydraulic fluid and removed the left side screen to find it quite clogged up. It took a lot of doing, but I got it cleared out. I did find some metal shavings which was a little disturbing but I guess you might expect it in an old tractor. Finding what I did, it only makes sense that I remove and clean the right side screen, right?

The used fluid is sitting overnight and I'll inspect it tomorrow for sediment, but I think that this may have resulted from a long period of time that the tractor sat apart with the fluid mostly drained.

Should be driving it this weekend!

dusty-t

Feb 17, 2009
Mountforest Ontario
The glow plug indicator was open on my B7200 and on my B8200 so I would think it is normal. Bersides the plug under the mid pto there should be a bolt on each side of the rear dif. They should be painted a different color than the rest of the bolts on the outside of the rear end. Pat Pending make sure you put a new hydro filter on it. The hydrostat is seperate from the hydraulic system but they use the same reservoir. Changing the fluid and the filter should cost less than a hundred bucks. You have put some time and money into this tractor and this may make a big difference in how your hydrostat acts afterwards. Good luck and keep us posted. :D Dusty

irish

Equipment
B7200
Jan 18, 2010
Ireland
Thanks Dusty.
Good to know that the cover is not missing from ther glow plug indicator.
I'm gradually getting to know my 20 year old baby.
Some day maybe, I'll be able to make a contribution to the forum

How many Kubotas do you have?

Can you mail any spare one (or two)accross to me in Ireland when you've finished with them, please ?????
Thanks again
Irish

dusty-t

Feb 17, 2009
Mountforest Ontario
I just have the B8200 and a Steiner. But I have owned a B6000 and a B7200. I think shipping an orange tractor to Ireland would cost as much as the tractor.:eek::eek: Dusty