B7100 ROPS mounting

BadDog

Equipment
B7100D TL and B2150D TLB
Jun 5, 2013
Phoenix, AZ
How was the B7100 ROPS mounted to the tractor? Mine does not have one, looks like it never did, or at least there is no obvious attachment point.

I have material and tooling used for building roll cages and tube bodies for off-road vehicles. I plan to build a ROPS with integrated sun shade to help with the lovely Phoenix Summer sunshine we have in such abundance. But I don't want to guess at how best to attach it, that's a lot of potential leverage on the mounting point.

Fastest1

Equipment
1994 B5200 FEL
Dec 9, 2012
Conroe, Texas
My B5200 has a steel box like section that bolts around the PTO shaft area and extends upward. Can post a pic tomorrow.

BadDog

Equipment
B7100D TL and B2150D TLB
Jun 5, 2013
Phoenix, AZ
I believe for about 150 bucks the dealer can get you the proper ROPS for your tractor.
Thanks.

In my subsequent reading I ran across someone commenting that there was some sort of "dealer subsidized" program for the old 7100s. I'm planning to call tomorrow, and I really hope you are right. For $150 it's not worth the time to build one, though I'll still likely modify it for a canopy and overhead work lights (the OEM lights were destroyed when the hood was crushed). That will be rather sad if it works out. The only nice shiny thing on the tractor will be the ROPS and canopy...

5thhorseman

Equipment
B7000, Allied 95 FEL, Sovema Tiller, Blade, on 3 overgrown acres
Oct 21, 2010
Aldergrove, BC
Hi F1, you wouldn't be able to take a close-up photo of where it is mounted, would you?

I have an old B7000, which I understand, apart from the engine, is very close if not the same as a B7100. It's a grey market model, and I'm hoping to get a ROPS for it at some point as my ground is very uneven.

BadDog

Equipment
B7100D TL and B2150D TLB
Jun 5, 2013
Phoenix, AZ
I just got off the phone with the local service/sales rep in N Phoenix. Turns out it's a bit more than $150, but not too bad. Tax and all they want $250 for the bolt on Kubota ROPS intended for this tractor.

Apparently it's a pretty quick bolt-on. I figured the break even point on my material and time is about $200, and it's worth the extra $50 for transfer of liability and opportunity to spend that time and energy (both in short supply these days) on other tasks. Plus I don't have to over-build to make up for lack of an Engineering degree and ability to run a full FEA to do it right AND light.

On the down side, I thought a canopy might be on order as well. Gets a just bit sunny here some days (about 360 a year). But for a fiberglass clamp on after market they wanted just over $500. He says "it's really nice", I say "I think I'll pass". Instead I'll probably just bend a hoop of 1" x 0.090 HREW and stretch a sun-resistant canvas (ala "Sunbrella") top over it along with a pair of forward and one rear flood. With my current To-Do and Honey-Do lists, I should have time to get started on sometime around late 2017, maybe...

ctmike

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L 3750 DT with loader, brush mower, rear grader blade, box scraper, rear blower,
May 10, 2013
Suffield, CT
Just a quick question. Does the ROPS from the dealer include a seat belt. I read that with a ROPS, a seat belt should be worn.

BadDog

Equipment
B7100D TL and B2150D TLB
Jun 5, 2013
Phoenix, AZ
That makes sense, but I didn't think to ask. We'll see when it comes in, and I'll try to remember to get pictures and post the results.

Russell King

Equipment
L185F, Modern Ag Competitor 4’ shredder, Rhino tiller, rear dirt scoop
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
I got the ROPS from Kubota (for a L185F) and it did come with points on the ROPS to attach the seat belt to and a seat belt was also included.

One thing I can suggest is to clean the rust out of the threaded holes where the ROPS will attach. On mine that was where the top link of the 3PH attaches and bolts above and below those. I think some people get a tap to clean them out. Mine were extra fine metric thread so I did not even try to find a tap. I just sprayed PB Blaster in and ran a bolt in and out a few times on the holes that were open. The ones with bolts in were clean enough on my tractor.

If you have someone to help it will be much easier to put it on, they are a bit unwieldy but not impossible for one person to do.

BadDog

Equipment
B7100D TL and B2150D TLB
Jun 5, 2013
Phoenix, AZ
After all was said and done, it cost me $220. That's with tax, shipping and handling on top of the $148 parts cost. Came strapped on a pallet including a bag with seat belt and upgraded fasteners and shims.

Installation was easy. You remove the lower 3 point links, remove one tire to get the lower pivot shaft out the side, remove 6 bolts to get the PTO guard off, and your ready to start installing. I used a gantry crane with chain fall, making one person installation very easy. Without something like that, I think it would require 2 healthy men to do it. Once aligned, I checked clearances and realized I would only be using 1 thick shim of the total of 6 provided. Pulled up the bolts on one side, verified the singly thick shim was all that would fit, inserted it, put in 3 more bolts, slid in the lower pivot shaft, and reassembled the lower links, finally installed the tire and put it on the ground. Total time, less than an hour (using air tools) without being in any kind of rush.

Only down side I see so far is that it obscures the lower hole of the upper link, and the longer plate above the PTO looks like it might interfere with the upper link if you needed it to drop very steeply. Now to fab a canopy/shade.

5thhorseman

Equipment
B7000, Allied 95 FEL, Sovema Tiller, Blade, on 3 overgrown acres
Oct 21, 2010
Aldergrove, BC
... remove one tire to get the lower pivot shaft out the side ...
My B7000 has a hole in the rim that allows you to slide the pivot shaft that inch or so needed past the tire in order to remove it. I was contemplating removing the tire myself when I by chance discovered this.

BadDog

Equipment
B7100D TL and B2150D TLB
Jun 5, 2013
Phoenix, AZ
My B7000 has a hole in the rim that allows you to slide the pivot shaft that inch or so needed past the tire in order to remove it. I was contemplating removing the tire myself when I by chance discovered this.
When it hit the rim, my first thought was that such a thing might exist. I considered myself "looking for one", but didn't see it, so "assumed" I had to pull the tire. I'll take another look, maybe I overlooked it. But it should have been pretty obvious unless it was just blocked from my sight angle at that moment.

DonDC

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L35 TLB, B7001, FEL, Rototiller, Snow Plow
Oct 23, 2012
Nanaimo, BC, Canada
I have attached the files that I obtained from another tread on OTT that I will be using to install a ROPS on a B7001. The instructions were for installation on a B7100 and bolts directly on to the differential housing after removing the B7001 PTO protection. The ROPS has a builtin PTO cover. I hope this helps.

Attachments

KubotaMania

Equipment
B7100D, Woods RM48YM
Sep 1, 2013
New Brunswick
Great information and very helpful illustration. I have a JD ROPS (Kubota retrofit program is not available here, new cost between 500$ and 800$ -then add installation and taxes...).
I will have to find a fabricator to build a mount- does anyone have pictures of the unmounted ROPS showing details?
Thanks

BadDog

Equipment
B7100D TL and B2150D TLB
Jun 5, 2013
Phoenix, AZ
That left picture just above your post shows it about as well as anything can. And removing the PTO shield gives you the dimensions for the replacement bracket, just have to basically remake it out of 1/2" plate.