B7100 PTO Stub Bearings

TxRzrBk

Equipment
B7100DT
Dec 12, 2013
Texas
I had a small leak around the PTO stub on my B7100DT and needed to change the seal. I figured while I was had the cover off might as well change the bearings on the PTO stub in case that is what caused the seal to fail.

I have the cover off and PTO stub removed and need to R&R the two bearings on either side of the gear. I believe everything is pressed onto the stub but I am not certain. What is the proper method and sequence of pressing the two bearings and gear off of the stub?

I dont see an easy way of pressing the bearing at the the back of the stub off as there is no clearance between the bearing and the gear so I am assuming the gear and bearing are pressed off together?

For the bearing on the other side of the gear there is a similar clearance issue.

TxRzrBk

Equipment
B7100DT
Dec 12, 2013
Texas
Ok, managed to press the gear and bearings off. When I pressed the gear off the back bearing and the gear flew off so I wasn't able to take note of their orientation.

In the attached image, for the spur gear #26, which way should it be oriented? The gear has a flat side and a side with a ridge, the image appears to show the ridge facing toward the front of the tractor but I want to be sure before I put it back together. Should the ridge on the spur gear face the front of the tractor or the rear of the tractor?

Attachments

lsmurphy

Equipment
B7001
Oct 19, 2012
Parrrottsville TN
I looked at that thread earlier, unfortunately it does not answer my question as it deals with the lower shaft, not the PTO stub.

I just went back through my pics......don't have one of the stub in detail.

If there is not a retainer snap ring at the bearing it should just press out. I would note and measure so you know about where to press the new one on. Bolting the cover back on should seat the new bearings in the races but I'd get it damn close first.

I did discover that the races just pull out, not really pressed in.

TxRzrBk

Equipment
B7100DT
Dec 12, 2013
Texas
Yes ridge is towards the bearing. ;)
Very insightful sir, thank you

Actually if I zoom in on this picture it shows the ridge facing towards the front of the tractor (or toward the rear bearing). As for how far to press everything on I am lost, I wish there was some documented clearances. Given how little space there is for any clearance I might just have to go with equal spacing unless someone has a better idea.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Just a note:
You can't look at lsmurphy's pictures and expect them to look like the way yours will look he had to use a different gear that what is normally used, if you note the width of the gears are different, and if I remembered right he had to swap the gear direction around to clear the case.
lsmurphy has a B7001 not a B7100, there are a few minor differences in the two and that gear arrangement is one of them.

Kubota's norm is for the ridge on the gear to go towards the bearing otherwise the outer edge of the bearing and not the center will hit the gear.

Also as far as getting it set right, they normally make it relatively impossible to over tighten the setup.
The sleeve after the gear is also a stop that keep the gear from being set to far in.

Last edited:

TxRzrBk

Equipment
B7100DT
Dec 12, 2013
Texas
Just a note:
You can't look at lsmurphy's pictures and expect them to look like the way yours will look he had to use a different gear
He used a different gear on the lower shaft, the PTO stub appears to be stock

Kubota's norm is for the ridge on the gear to go towards the bearing otherwise the outer edge of the bearing and not the center will hit the gear.
There is a bearing on both sides of the gear

Also as far as getting it set right, they normally make it relatively impossible to over tighten the setup.
I pressed everything snug to see if I would have any open space and there is absolutely none to be had, if I slacked off on anything the shaft would protrude from then end of the bearing and it wasn't that way before. (see image of new bearings pressed on) One thing I did notice, before I pressed the old bearings off was that the spur gear had a very small amount of play, after I pressed the new bearings on there is no play in the spur gear at all.

Attachments

Last edited:

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Sorry I got it turned around, but it looks like you have it set to install.