B7100 jerky clutch engagement

sportscarclinic

Equipment
B2150 w/LA350A and BT750 - B6000 w/S6000 - B7100 - B7200 w/B1630
Apr 11, 2017
Portland, OR
Greetings,

Recently purchased my first tractor, a B7100. The engine starts and runs fairly well, but I'm having trouble getting used to the clutch. I've never owned or driven a tractor--but I've owned lots of Triumph sports cars, which is darn pretty close. The clutch engages hard at the very end of the pedal's travel, causing the tractor to lurch forward. Once the pedal is out, there's a just perceptible bit of delay that feels almost like there is a lot of lash in the drivetrain. When I try my best to feather the clutch in (friction zone is really, really narrow) I can almost get the tractor to move, but then it sorta slams forward anyway. Any ideas about possible adjustments are appreciated.

Last edited:

sportscarclinic

Equipment
B2150 w/LA350A and BT750 - B6000 w/S6000 - B7100 - B7200 w/B1630
Apr 11, 2017
Portland, OR
The clutch is fully depressed (at the stop when not running) once the pedal is exactly level with the foot rest. There's no resistance at all until the pedal is depressed almost exactly halfway towards the stop. A little early to start a diesel tractor on Easter morning (I live in a suburban neighborhood), so I can't say for sure, yet, how much freeplay there is until it starts to actually disengage. But if memory serves correctly, the entire range of actuation is within the last two inches or so of pedal travel.

Btw, thanks for the quick reply, and that's a nice looking Olds. The first car I even purchased with my own hard earned cash was a 1968 Cutlass convertible, with a 350 Rocket and a Powerglide for $400 cash. I drove out and paid the owner $100 a week every Friday night after I finished busing tables. I was a junior in high school, and that was a very popular car to have on summer nights in Ohio.

Last edited:

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
If the tractor has sat for any length of time it's very possible that the pressure plate and flywheel have rusted up causing it to be real touchy.

Take it out and slip the clutch while under load and see if that helps.

If not you could just be looking a time to replace. ;)

1970cs

Apr 26, 2016
Grand Ledge
Sounds like possible new clutch time if the free play is set to if memory serves when prepping tractors was 10-30 mm before you come up on finger pressure. I always stroked the pedal by hand to get a better feel.

Thank you for the complement on the Olds. I was born and raised in and around Lansing. The old man and my uncle both worked for Olds.

Pat