B7100 Brakes

Dennis

Jul 28, 2010
Queensland Australia
I cannot do any further adjustment on the old girl's brakes. I plan on buying new brake shoes but wondering if other parts of the brake setup are likely to be significantly worn e.g. the cam.

bruceatlam

Equipment
B20, FEL, box blade, flail mower
Aug 20, 2009
Camarillo, California
Well, hard telling but I doubt you have any other problems. All I can say for sure is that simple shoe replacement solved all my problems.

drewscruis

Equipment
B7100D with FEL and tiller
Sep 9, 2011
Eden, NY. usa
do yourself a favor and take apart the cam asembley there are 2 orings in there that might need to be replaced and it can also bennifet from a good coating of grease. I ended up having to heat and beat my cams out because everything was frozen up and the orings were bad, eventually I'll start a thread for the restoration of my b7100. started out just repairing a few little things and now i'm doing a full blown restoration. oh and pull the drums off and check the oil seals behind them, ran into a big snafu because of a leaky seal.

Last edited:

willsmit

Equipment
b7100 kubota
Apr 30, 2012
bloomington,indiana
hade breake problems too tuck shoes off and sent them to be repadded save a lot of money doing that breakes squeal alot but work great i think the cost was about 150. for all 4 shoes

Dennis

Jul 28, 2010
Queensland Australia
do yourself a favor and take apart the cam asembley there are 2 orings in there that might need to be replaced and it can also bennifet from a good coating of grease. I ended up having to heat and beat my cams out because everything was frozen up and the orings were bad, eventually I'll start a thread for the restoration of my b7100. started out just repairing a few little things and now i'm doing a full blown restoration. oh and pull the drums off and check the oil seals behind them, ran into a big snafu because of a leaky seal.
You're right on the money Drescruis. Found all of the above problems. Seal behind brake drum is seeping just a little oil so I've ordered a new one.

Also, when I fitted my aftermarket brake shoes the brake drum wouldn't fit over them
Had to grind the metal on the ends of the new brake shoes back a little , and also clean rust off the old cams and drums ,to get the required clearance.

Take care with all the worn off brake lining debris you'll find; I suspect that being from around 1980 , it's probably asbestos, so wear a dust mask and don't blow it around.

FordFlyer

Equipment
B7100-D w/ loader & 3-pt cwt/scarifyer
Jun 1, 2017
Sweet Home, OR
You're right on the money Drescruis. Found all of the above problems. Seal behind brake drum is seeping just a little oil so I've ordered a new one.

Also, when I fitted my aftermarket brake shoes the brake drum wouldn't fit over them
Had to grind the metal on the ends of the new brake shoes back a little , and also clean rust off the old cams and drums ,to get the required clearance.

Take care with all the worn off brake lining debris you'll find; I suspect that being from around 1980 , it's probably asbestos, so wear a dust mask and don't blow it around.
Did you happen to notice the thickness of the lining on your new shoes and/or the inside diameter of the drum? The width of the shoe face?

I'd like to order new lining to install myself on my existing shoes on both left & right brakes.

I didn't realize how expensive replacement shoes are (~$100 on the internet, for each pair of shoes) until after I'd freed up the brake shaft on the right side, replaced o-rings and snap ring from the local hardware store, using Never-Seize to lube the cleaned up shaft and to fill the lube groove between the o-rings, and reassembled so I could use the machine while I waited to receive new shoes.

I wonder if there is a risk of breaking the brake lining when bending it around the shoe when the radius of the shoe is so small (I'm guessing from memory that they might be 3-4 inch radius (6-8" inside brake drum diameter)?

kubotasam

Equipment
B2410, B7100dt, B7500,Woods BH750,Landpride 2660RFM, Tiller, B2781 Snowblower
Apr 26, 2010
Alfred Maine
Did you happen to notice the thickness of the lining on your new shoes and/or the inside diameter of the drum? The width of the shoe face?

I'd like to order new lining to install myself on my existing shoes on both left & right brakes.

I wonder if there is a risk of breaking the brake lining when bending it around the shoe when the radius of the shoe is so small (I'm guessing from memory that they might be 3-4 inch radius (6-8" inside brake drum diameter)?
I used lining sold for motorcycle/scooter that I found on E bay. It was the correct width and bent to the radius very easily.

FordFlyer

Equipment
B7100-D w/ loader & 3-pt cwt/scarifyer
Jun 1, 2017
Sweet Home, OR
Do you remember what thickness the new lining was, or better yet, specifics on what/where you ordered it?

kubotasam

Equipment
B2410, B7100dt, B7500,Woods BH750,Landpride 2660RFM, Tiller, B2781 Snowblower
Apr 26, 2010
Alfred Maine
Do you remember what thickness the new lining was, or better yet, specifics on what/where you ordered it?
I just looked a the leftover piece. It measures 1" wide and 3/16" thick. I can't find the order information.