B7100 bent tie rod

Dennis

Jul 28, 2010
Queensland Australia
Noticed just today that my front wheels were way out of alignment.
When I attempted to adjust the tie rod I could not get one of the locking nuts to shift.
I then realised that the tie rod had been bent rearwards at some time in the tractor's long life.
Can the tie rod be effectively straightened while it is in place.. I attempted but the rod keeps swivelling around on the ball sockets.
It must have been bent for a while as someone has rounded the lock nut in a previous attempt.

hodge

Lifetime Member

Equipment
John Deere 790 John Deere 310 backhoe Bobcat 743
Nov 19, 2010
Love, VA
I doubt that you can effectively and precisely bend the tie rod back to straight. Why not remove it and straighten it on a press? Just pull the whole bar with the tie rod ends still on it.

Lil Foot

Lifetime Member

Equipment
1979 B7100DT Gear, Nissan Hanix N150-2 Excavator
May 19, 2011
Peoria, AZ
Why not remove it and straighten it on a press? Just pull the whole bar with the tie rod ends still on it.
That's what I did....

Dennis

Jul 28, 2010
Queensland Australia
I'll take it off and get it to the machine shop.

I would like to confirm that the lock nut on the left side as you face the tractor is a left hand thread ie will turning it clockwise loosen the locknut from the tie rod?
The lock nut has been badly rounded by a previous owner which raises my suspicions
Thanks for the help

Last edited:

Lil Foot

Lifetime Member

Equipment
1979 B7100DT Gear, Nissan Hanix N150-2 Excavator
May 19, 2011
Peoria, AZ
I'll take it off and get it to the machine shop.

I would like to confirm that the lock nut on the left side as you face the tractor is a left hand thread ie will turning it clockwise loosen the locknut from the tie rod?
The lock nut has been badly rounded by a previous owner which raises my suspicions
Thanks for the help
Can't confirm one way or the other, my tractor is 150 miles from here... sorry.

Sterno

Equipment
Kubota B6100D, B7100HST, Ber-Vac S51 3PT Snowblower, Kubota A450
Dec 9, 2012
Summerland, British Columbia
The online parts book has 2 different numbers for the left and right tie-rod locknuts, also the one on the left is labelled "Nut Left".

It makes sense to have one left-hand and one right-hand thread (like cars & trucks) on the tie rod, otherwise you would have to remove the rod end from the knuckle arm to adjust the alignment.

Dennis

Jul 28, 2010
Queensland Australia
The online parts book has 2 different numbers for the left and right tie-rod locknuts, also the one on the left is labelled "Nut Left".

It makes sense to have one left-hand and one right-hand thread (like cars & trucks) on the tie rod, otherwise you would have to remove the rod end from the knuckle arm to adjust the alignment.
This is what threw me a bit. The nut which is called "nut left" in the parts manual (it's on the right hand side as you face the tractor) loosens, on my tractor, turning anti clockwise i.e. RH thread.

I am going to have to use some force to shift the other rounded lock nut so want to be clear about it's threading.
Your advice about one left and one right does make sense

Maybe someone at some time just re-installed the tie rod the opposite way ?