B7000 clutch job

5thhorseman

Equipment
B7000, Allied 95 FEL, Sovema Tiller, Blade, on 3 overgrown acres
Oct 21, 2010
Aldergrove, BC
Anyone know the flywheel bolt torque for a B7000 or B7100 (or rather, Z650 engine)? Can't find it in any of my manuals!

Edit: Oops, got it ... 40-43 ft. lbs.

Last edited:

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Did you check the bearing size to the shaft on the trans?

5thhorseman

Equipment
Oct 21, 2010
Aldergrove, BC
Yeah, throwout bearing fits perfectly onto the shaft.

If you're talking about the pilot bushing, I had to tap it on to the end of transmission shaft with a hammer and it's clearly too small.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
That's what I was thinking. ;)

There clearly is not enough real and accurate information out there on the B7000's.

Was the clutch setup a good match?

5thhorseman

Equipment
Oct 21, 2010
Aldergrove, BC
Yeah, it's funny, the part number is direct from the parts manual, except with a 0 at the end instead of a 1, which they do for some reason. Anyways, it's not a disaster.

The clutch looks like a perfect match, so I'm happy about that. Am just working on aligning it now with a socket extension and socket slid into the aforementioned bushing.

5thhorseman

Equipment
Oct 21, 2010
Aldergrove, BC
Two halves together now. That was an interesting excersise. The first parts to meet were the two halves of the sub-frame, which made it difficult thereafter. After struggling for a while I realised I should hook up a come-along and winch it together.

After a few false starts I go the order of mating parts right: sub-frame, drive shaft to clutch, 4wd drive shaft, bell housing. Needed my wife's help on the 4wd as I couldn't hold it in place and winch at the same time.

With about 1/4" to go, I squeezed some Permatex (our version of RTV I guess) into the gap and then finished er off. Tried the clutch out and moves smoothly with no binding anywhere so I guess everything is okay inside.

Tomorrow I'll be putting the rest of the engine together as the forecast is for more rain.

5thhorseman

Equipment
Oct 21, 2010
Aldergrove, BC
So the tractor is all back together and after a few tries at bleeding the fuel lines finally got her going. Clutch operates smoothly but I need to adjust it as it doesn't grab until the pedal is nearly fully released.

Just a few miscellaneous bits left. First of all, the 4wd drive shaft goes into a casing where the u-joint is, but I can't find out how to fill it. There are two very small bolts, one of which might serve as a drain, but both are far too small to pour any liquid into. Do I remove the rubber boot connecting the casing to the shaft and pour some gear oil in there? Sorry, no pictures.

Secondly, my subframe holes don't quite match up anymore. I thought I'd drive it around and maybe the frame will flex some and I can pop the bolts in. Or, should i just redrill?

DSC_0005.jpg

Thirdly, anyone know what this little doohickey is? It threads into the block just above the starter. Is it a sensor of some sort?

DSC_0004_01.jpg

Finally, though I'd share my tip for putting on the flywheel first try, given that the bolt hole pattern only goes on one way. There's a thin piece of steel with tabs that stop the bolts from working loose. You can use this to match the flywheel (pic 1 - hold pattern doesn't match, vs. pic 2 - hole pattern does match), then use it to match to the bolt holes on the end of the crank.

DSC_0001_01.jpg DSC_0002_01.jpg

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Just a few miscellaneous bits left. First of all, the 4wd drive shaft goes into a casing where the u-joint is, but I can't find out how to fill it. There are two very small bolts, one of which might serve as a drain, but both are far too small to pour any liquid into. Do I remove the rubber boot connecting the casing to the shaft and pour some gear oil in there? Sorry, no pictures.
You do not put oil in there, that area does not get or hold oil, only the axle case gets oil.

Secondly, my subframe holes don't quite match up anymore. I thought I'd drive it around and maybe the frame will flex some and I can pop the bolts in. Or, should i just redrill?

View attachment 21177
Loosen all the other sub-frame mount bolts and you should be able to move the frame around to line them up, use a pointed bar, punch or large screw driver to pry it into place.

Thirdly, anyone know what this little doohickey is? It threads into the block just above the starter. Is it a sensor of some sort?

View attachment 21180
Oil pressure sending unit, either for light or gauge.

5thhorseman

Equipment
Oct 21, 2010
Aldergrove, BC
You do not put oil in there, that area does not get or hold oil, only the axle case gets oil.
Thanks for all your help on this thread NIW. Re the 4wd driveshaft, I just thought it needed it as it was all dripping with dirty, greasy oil when I pulled it apart. I wonder what those small bolts are for then?

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Take a picture and I'll try and give you an answer. ;)

The oil in there is probably from either a front or rear seal leaking, probably not enough to worry about. :)

5thhorseman

Equipment
Oct 21, 2010
Aldergrove, BC
Hi NIW, I finally got around to uploading this pic. You can see what appears to be two drain plugs, but one of them is at the top.

DSC_0082.jpg

Otherwise the tractor is working great now. However, before changing gears I need to bring the tractor to a complete stop and also lower the engine speed. Even then it sometimes grinds so it helps to wait a little bit. I guess it's just a very basic clutch/transmission mechanism and that's just the way it is on these older machines.

Also, I expected to be able to adjust the clutch pedal so that it grabs at the far end of its travel, but I'm unable to do so.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
The bolts are for water clean out, remember they are rice field inspired tractors. ;)