B6200 Steering Failure

B6200Dave

Equipment
B6200 HST
Apr 17, 2010
Carp, Ontario
Hi All! Last weekend my steering went on my B6200 and when I tore it down the steering shaft nut (where the bearings are) tubes were bent and all of the ball bearings ended up in the bottom of the casing :). Even worse, there are no replacement parts available any longer and I have not been able to find any aftermarket parts either (outside of buying a brand new assembly at over $800). I have seen other steering shafts available but the length of the shaft is wrong, or the size of the bearing box / nut is wrong.

Does anyone have any ideas on how I can avoid a significant cost to repair ... any assistance would be greatly appreciated :). All I really need are the tubes but will be willing to purchase more if I have to.

Thanks!
Dave

hodge

Lifetime Member

Equipment
John Deere 790 John Deere 310 backhoe Bobcat 743
Nov 19, 2010
Love, VA
Are you watching ebay for a parted out tractor?
A machine shop is a good idea, but can get pricey. Doesn't matter, though, if you can't get the parts otherwise.
I lost a special nut that holds the cover plate on my Cummins engine. A friend who works at a machine shop quoted me $80 to machine a new nut. I bought one off a member of the Diesel Truck Resources forum for $10. A parted out 6200 would probably be the cheapest route.

B6200Dave

Equipment
B6200 HST
Apr 17, 2010
Carp, Ontario
Thanks for the replies! I am looking around for used parts but these are really hard to come by since they have been discontinued so I haven't had much luck. Good tip on the machine shop, I'll give that a try!

Dave