B6100 transmission fluid

wblack

Equipment
L2550 4WD with Loader
Oct 6, 2013
CHARLOTTE
Hey guys, sorry if this has been covered over and over; I tried searching and couldn't find an answer.

I just replaced the transmission fluid and cleaned the filter on my B6100, happens to be the "D" engine and after replacing the "12.2 qts." of fluid it doesn't reach the dipstick cold. We haven't cranked it yet because we're doing a few other things to it. The tractor is in the shop, so it's on level ground.

I have a few questions: (1) The guy at the parts store said the tractor took 14 qts. and the manual was wrong???? What? Could this really be?

and secondly, (2) should I check the level when the trans is hot or cold??

Finally, (3) do I just keep filling until it hits the right spot on the dipstick?

Thanks for your help!

Wes

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
Hey guys, sorry if this has been covered over and over; I tried searching and couldn't find an answer.

I just replaced the transmission fluid and cleaned the filter on my B6100, happens to be the "D" engine and after replacing the "12.2 qts." of fluid it doesn't reach the dipstick cold. We haven't cranked it yet because we're doing a few other things to it. The tractor is in the shop, so it's on level ground.

I have a few questions: (1) The guy at the parts store said the tractor took 14 qts. and the manual was wrong???? What? Could this really be?

and secondly, (2) should I check the level when the trans is hot or cold??

Finally, (3) do I just keep filling until it hits the right spot on the dipstick?

Thanks for your help!

Wes
Everything I have found on the net says 12.2 quarts.........

And as far as when to check, I would get her all back "together" and with the 12.2 in her, run around the block a bit, nothing fancy, run through all motions forward and reverse. Repark on the level ground, let fluid settle, recheck dipstick, add a bit more of fluid and take notes and report back. I would go by the dipstick on level ground as opposed to written words........

Someone else will chime in and tell you more 'bout your capacities.

wblack

Equipment
L2550 4WD with Loader
Oct 6, 2013
CHARLOTTE
Everything I have found on the net says 12.2 quarts.........

And as far as when to check, I would get her all back "together" and with the 12.2 in her, run around the block a bit, nothing fancy, run through all motions forward and reverse. Repark on the level ground, let fluid settle, recheck dipstick, add a bit more of fluid and take notes and report back. I would go by the dipstick on level ground as opposed to written words........

Someone else will chime in and tell you more 'bout your capacities.
Thanks Hoke! Will do and report back.

wblack

Equipment
L2550 4WD with Loader
Oct 6, 2013
CHARLOTTE
OK Hoke...... as much as I hate to I said I would post back to let you know what I found out.

We ran the tractor for about 15 minutes and brought it back inside the shop (level ground) to check the fluid. No change so we began to think we may have miss-counted the quarts since we were filling from a 5 gallon bucket one qt. at a time. We added 1 full qt. and "shazzam"........ it was right on the mark.

Thanks for helping, as you know sometimes you think and look so hard you can't the see the woods for the trees. Everything is good and running like a champ!