B6100 / B7100 Mid mount mowers

Apogee

Equipment
B6100, B7100, B8200, B9200, G4200, L175, L35
Jan 22, 2012
Tacoma, WA
Hi all,

I already have a B6100 and a B7100 both with the manual trans in them.

I have just found a B6100HST that the guy sold the engine out of but everything else is there and supposedly it was a low hour tractor that had only been used for mowing. I would much prefer to have an HST if possible, hence I'm looking and buying and shipping this. I figure between the HST upgrade, the mower, good tires, and lots of spare parts, the $1000 including shipping seems reasonable. Thoughts?

What I'd like to know is, can I take the mid mount mower from the B6100HST and use it on the B7100 as long as it has the mid PTO? Were the brackets/shaft lengths different between the D & HST models?

Mower model is supposedly a RC48-60

Anyone know for sure?

Any help would be much appreciated!

Thanks,

Steve

Attachments

moderatmixed

Mar 24, 2011
Woodstock, Ontario, Canada
When I went looking for my B6100 I was cautioned that the older HST drives were great, until something went wrong. It seems unusual to me that anyone would remove the engine from a tractor that is functioning well. You might just end up with two unservicable tractors, and some spare tires. Too, I have driven the HST, and I far prefer the manual transmission, especially with the loader. My unsolicited opinion is "stick with the great little tractor that you've got, and use the $1000.00 to give it fresh paint and new tires".

Cheers

Apogee

Equipment
B6100, B7100, B8200, B9200, G4200, L175, L35
Jan 22, 2012
Tacoma, WA
Thanks Moderatmixed for the input!

I checked yesterday and it turns out that neither of my tractors with the manual transmission have a mid pto drop. A bit puzzling because both are later units. I'm guessing the MMM was only an option offered on the HST.

Based on my discovery, I called the seller of the HST unit and inquired if he knew any history on the unit. He bought it from the his neighbor who was the original owner. Apparently, some how a rock flew up and hit the front timing cover on the engine while mowing and cracked it. The owner shut it down and the tractor just sat for the several years since. The gentleman that I bought it from (yeah, I took the plunge) fixed the engine and tested it before he bought it. He knows for sure that everything works fine.

The only reason that he scrapped the tractor out is because he lives in a very economically depressed area. He said he had the tractor for sale locally and nobody bought it. He then advertised the engine figuring if it sold then it would drive parting out the tractor. Engine sold in a week and of course I found the rest of the unit the week after (story of my life)...

Finally, I agonized over buying this for a couple of days and finally decided yes for the following reason. Since the HST unit comes with the mower deck, it will give me much more use for the tractor which translates to more fun. It will allow me to get rid of my riding mower and let the tractor be my primary do everything machine and I figured it was worth the gamble to achieve that. Better than it sitting parked 90% of the time.

So, there you have it.

Thanks again,

Steve

Last edited: