B6000 stops running.

cappys tractor

Equipment
B6000 and Husqvarna mower (hey, it's orange too!)
Jan 18, 2010
Cape Cod, Ma
Hi all: My trusty B6000 and I were splitting wood for the last couple days.

I made sure to keep the tank filled, and checked the radiator and oil levels each day prior to use.

Yesterday I noticed the slightest engine rpm differing (up and down slightly). I assumed fuel filters clogging. So today I did a filter change. Heck, while I was at it I did an oil change, and changed the UDT fluid too.

Bled it and started it up. Ran about two minutes or so. So I thought I needed to re bleed it. Still only runs for about a minute or two. It WILL start right back up though after it dies.

Wondering if the original symptom (rpm fluctuation) was due to something else. Fuel pump dying? injection pump dying? One thing I did notice was bumping the switch to preheat made fuel shoot out of the secondary filter. But only on initial switch. It appears to me that the fuel pump has never worked, and that may be an issue too. But this ran fine until yesterday.

I can't figure out how to post a video on here, but I took one of the sound. This is before the wood pile arrived. And now I need the splitter very bad!

While on the Orange subject, how do you troubleshoot the dynamo? It hasn't worked since I split the tractor last year to put in a new clutch. I have to take my hot start with me to start the beast every time.

Attachments

Last edited:

Tooljunkie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L1501,home built carry all, mini plow blade.
May 13, 2014
Lac Du Bonnet, Manitoba,Canada
So a couple thoughts, sediment in fuel tank clogging tank outlet.

Another is the preheat running the fuel pump?? Sounds like some wires crossed. Could also explain dynamo not charging.

cappys tractor

Equipment
Jan 18, 2010
Cape Cod, Ma
When I opened the bleed screw on the primary filter housing fuel gushed out of there.

Yeah, I will have to work on the dynamo wires. There's only three that I un, re hooked. They were all stacon bullets with matching wire colors. I couldn't see how I could goof that up.... but, hey! I'm not in Kansas anymore!

Is the fuel pump supposed to be on when key on? Are they silent? I have never heard any noise from it what soever. Reading other posts on B6000's I see other references to fuel pump not working, and they still run. Is this so? And how can I tell if injection fuel pump on engine is working?

Changnam 59

Equipment
New to the world of Orange
Dec 24, 2011
Pathumthanee, Thailand
A B6000 will run as normal with the low pressure electrical fuel pump removed.

My B6000 has been running without a fuel pump for at least a couple of years relying upon gravity feed.

I think the electrical pump is only present to maintain fuel flow in circumstances such as going forwards up a steep incline with a low fuel tank level. My land is pretty flat so for me these circumstances do not arise.

cappys tractor

Equipment
Jan 18, 2010
Cape Cod, Ma
Well, I can't find the post to refer to, but another person here on OTT put up a couple pics with arrows to the bleed screws. It turns out I didn't know about the screw on the banjo bolt on top of the fuel injection pump. Runs like a champ. Now I have to just figure out the dynamo issue and charging (or lack thereof)

Thanks for the thoughts and especially the forum to find such info.

ShaunRH

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200
May 14, 2014
Atascadero, CA
You may have deteriorated fuel lines. Modern lines aren't as good as the 'old' ones and the 'old' ones are now in the deteriorated class as well. So a fairly cheap project is to replace all the lines and it may resolve the issue.

You can test the fuel injector pump with a gravity feed from a fuel can and see if the tractor stays running or not. If it stays running, the issue is before that. If not, you have a bad injector pump and it needs to be rebuilt.

cappys tractor

Equipment
Jan 18, 2010
Cape Cod, Ma
You may have deteriorated fuel lines.
Funny you mention that. The top fuel line running from the secondary to the injection pump was always damp with fuel. I did replace it, maybe that was a larger part of the problem than I realized. I should replace the lower hoses too. Good suggestion. General Maintenance is always a good thing.

cappys tractor

Equipment
Jan 18, 2010
Cape Cod, Ma
well..... as the song goes: Whoops, I did it again.

I promised myself to NEVER EVER EVER let this old beast run dry.

Too bad i didn't pay attention to the fuel tank.

However, I do notice that only one injector line spits as i crank it. Is it possible to have a injection pump that only pumps to one injector line? Or is a injection pump a 'works for one, works for all'?

Funny thing, this seems to happen when Im splitting wood! I am more careful when plowing snow and doing other stuff ON the tractor. BUT seems to be a bell ringer when Im dismounted, using the tractor as a hydraulic source. Must be more diligent when using the tractor.... darn it!

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
If it's truly only putting fuel out on one line then it's only running on one cylinder.

Get it running again, crack each line when it's running, if it slows down then that injector is working. ;)