B6000 Out of adjustment?????

djmc35

Equipment
4 Kubota B6000's, Cub Low Boy, Sears tractor w/FEL
Jun 19, 2014
Bloomington, IN, USA
I replaced the head on a b6000. I tried to follow procedures in forum. When all was done. I bled the diesel lines down. When I turned it over it appears to blow diesel mist out of the bleeders by the glow plugs. Yes the bleeders are tight. My theory is I'm 180 degrees Out of sequence. Anyone Care to recite Valve adjustment including How to find No 1 cylinder on power stroke. This is my first Diesel Engine Project. Does anyone have any thoughts other than I'm Totally Wasted???? I would like to get this thing running. Thanks djmc35:eek:

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Last edited:

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
If all you pulled was the head, then being out of time is Impossible I do believe, ;) But having the valves adjusted wrong is possible, if they are set too tight all sort of weird things can happen.
Look in the WSM on page 6 for how to check injection timing.

The only other thought is that the injection lines are swapped (if that's even possible)?

Last edited:

djmc35

Equipment
Jun 19, 2014
Bloomington, IN, USA
I think perhaps I adjusted the valves on the exhaust stroke instead of the compression stroke. I need to know how to find the compression stroke without taking the head back off. Essentially I think I'm adjusted 180 degrees out causing the injected mist or diesel fuel to be expelled instead of being sucked in to the cylinder. I did not adjust any shims or change anything there. The book says its a 4 cycle diesel engine?? Again this is my first diesel engine. Can anybody help me find the place to adjust the valves on the right stroke of the engine?? I read pages 6-10 of the service manual which confused me a bit more! Help Please! I'm confused:(:(:(!do I need to set the mark on the front engine shaft pulley at the top and sink it with a mark in the clutch housing???? I'm pulling out my hair. Thanks in advance for any help you can offer. djmc35-Danny:eek::eek::eek:

Tooljunkie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L1501,home built carry all, mini plow blade.
May 13, 2014
Lac Du Bonnet, Manitoba,Canada
with valve cover off, you can see each valve move, so when intake valve is open, the exhaust is closed.and vise-versa. The procedure in manual is defined in such a way that you dont need to rotate engine more than a few turns to adjust every valve.
If its easier to do each one, then go with it. Remember to turn engine in correct rotation,dont want to be turning it backwards.
Also, i dont know for sure, but are push rods different lenght from exhaust to intake? I alwasy check, but i do my best to put each push rod back where it originally came from.

Last edited:

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Ok Tooljunkie said it fairly well.
The push rods are the same so no worry there.
Use the kiss method.
Loosen the valves so they almost touch, turn motor till one touches then adjust the other on the same cylinder you can see the valves move when you rotate it. :D

Sounds like you just have them too tight. ;)

djmc35

Equipment
Jun 19, 2014
Bloomington, IN, USA
Thanks for the Great suggestions. I will give it a try as soon as we get out of this rain pattern. I have them tarped for the moment. I avoided my other Problem with my best B6000. It had a stuck clutch and I got it to brake loose without the big split. I'm back to pulling logs! Woo Hoo! at least when its not raining. djmc35 Danny

djmc35

Equipment
Jun 19, 2014
Bloomington, IN, USA
Well We My Brother and I tried to set the valves the other day but I feel they must be set wrong! After close observation of the blow by commin from the fuel lines I found it wasn't coming from the fuel lines at all. It is puffing mist vapor from around the Injectors. I tried to torque the injector bolts a bit more. The vapor quit but only 5 or 6 revolutions until it was back just like before. I ordered the copper washers or packing as the book calls it from Coleman. But I don't think those washers will stop it if its injecting on a closed cylinder????? Does this make any since to anyone out there???? Do you Guys or Girls have any Suggestion. I adjusted it my way and it did this. Brother Adjusted it a Different way and its still doing this. Do Copper washers or packing wear out?? I have new packing now Package came today. Help Please I feel I'm missing something here! Thanks Dan-djmc35

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Yes if the copper washer and packing are bed it will leak, so yes replacing them should cure the problem. ;)

the injectors spray when the cylinder is up to about 450 PSI, so the smallest of leaks will become real big.

djmc35

Equipment
Jun 19, 2014
Bloomington, IN, USA
Shoot I replaced the packing washers but it made maters worse! I started torqueing them down and checking them for leaks as I went. 3 bolts held one broke? Ordered parts from Coleman. got around 25 ft lbs before it broke. Anybody know what the injector hold down bolt torque is for a B6000? The Injector seals to the head by squeezing a copper washer between the injector body and the head. At least that's all the illustrated parts list shows and all mine had on it. When I pulled the injectors out they the copper washers that is had flattened enough to secure them to the injector body but not seal. Is there some trick I'm missing to this or is this part being stubborn? I live in Indiana about middle of the state. If I don't get it fixed soon I may Part it out. Has front blade up/dwn left/right. PTO Reverser and mounting Plate. Tires Shot wheel good. It has 4wd so I hate to let go of it! What's the possibility of putting thin circle of gasket material on the bottom of the crush washers???Please if you have a comment or a suggestion please share! Thanks djmc35

rentthis

Lifetime Member
May 30, 2012
summerville,sc
Does this engine have heat seals under the injector crush washer? I don't have any idea that it does but if it does and you bought a new head, it may have come without them. I can see where that might cause your problem. Doubtful but just a thought.

chyduke

Equipment
B6000E
Aug 10, 2015
Lead, South Dakota
I wouldn't think 25 ft. lbs. would do it, but is there a chance your injectors cracked during torquing? Again, a long shot, but it might be worth a look. Let me know if you are parting out and selling the PTO reverser though. :cool:

djmc35

Equipment
Jun 19, 2014
Bloomington, IN, USA
Inspected Injectors and no cracks! Just 1 broken bolt. New parts to arrive Wednesday this week. Will try it again! Pray for me. Thanks!:)