B6000 Engine Rebuild

cruiserbill

Equipment
B6000
May 9, 2016
Indiana
A dynamo is a permanent magnet, AC generator, you have one under the fan pulley, the AC needs to be rectified to DC via a rectifier, then controlled via a regulator, (depending on model), or by a combination rectifier/regulator.
Permanent magnet dynamos have low output, so replacement higher output alternators are sold to fit many kubotas and generally mount where the belt tension pulley are currently located. Check to see if your current dynamo and regulator works first before buying an alternator, unless you are really going to need extra power output.
As this motor has been around a long time, personally I would replace the bearings in the fan/dynamo while you are at it. Probably 2 or 3 6201's or similar, do a search and the correct bearing size will have been mentioned previously in another thread I expect. Also check out the tension pulley bearing, but if you could leave that one until you prove your dynamo etc., in case you want to fit an alternator.
Thanks 100, I am going to look into this. The tension pulley was turning REALLY hard at first. I sprayed some penetrating oil into it and it freed it right up, but I am concerned the bearing were rusted. I might just need to replace it.

cruiserbill

Equipment
B6000
May 9, 2016
Indiana
I am guessing this is the zl600 engine, where are you finding parts?
It is a ZL600 engine, but whenever I call for parts they never care about that, the just want to know that it is a B6000.

I get my parts from:

http://www.colemanequip.com/
https://www.stavros-savva-co-ltd.com.cy/
http://www.messicks.com/

and have bought one or two from different sources. The dealers can check national inventories at other dealers too. That is how I found the "washer" for a rod in Paris, TX. If you need any help sourcing anything, let me know.

Oh yeah, ebay is always helpful. Found my block (my block was toast) on there and just happen to be a guy that lived 20 miles from me!

cruiserbill

Equipment
B6000
May 9, 2016
Indiana
is there an alternative to the stock air filter for the B6000?
Not that I know of, but I am not really familiar with this stuff yet. I was just going to put the stock one back on.

I do know that I am going to put a different exhaust on it. All it has right now is basically a straight pipe. I am going to buy on of these: https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/search/dr-8 muffler and have a muffler shop fix it up for me. I saw a guy on online that used one on a B6000 and it worked well.

Last edited:

cruiserbill

Equipment
B6000
May 9, 2016
Indiana
So, here is my update:

Got the crank in: BUT, although it turned freely and I am confident the bearing clearance is correct, it would sort hang a little at one spot while turning it around. It is just on one consistent spot while turning. Not sure what to think about that. I need to figure this out before I go much further. I did use assembly lube on everything also.

Broke a ring putting it on, so waiting on a ring set.

Got the cam in as well as the fuel cam and the rear main seal assembly.

Really taking it slow. Making sure parts are clean and I am doing things correct.

Aluthin

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B6000
Aug 7, 2015
United Kingdom
So, here is my update:

Got the crank in: BUT, although it turned freely and I am confident the bearing clearance is correct, it would sort hang a little at one spot while turning it around. It is just on one consistent spot while turning. Not sure what to think about that. I need to figure this out before I go much further. I did use assembly lube on everything also.

Broke a ring putting it on, so waiting on a ring set.

Got the cam in as well as the fuel cam and the rear main seal assembly.

Really taking it slow. Making sure parts are clean and I am doing things correct.
Great going you got any pics of your progress plus any problems, as they would be great for any of us facing the same task in the future
Keep up the good work

Aluthin

Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk