B3000 just died for no apparent reason

blenderbender

Equipment
B3000
Mar 5, 2016
Eastern Ohio
I was moving some wood chip piles very casually and my B3000 just died as if someone turned the key off. Got fuel, good battery, nothing seemed to be problematic. There's only 360 hrs on tractor. My brother who has the same tractor had a similar issue but he wasn't involved with the fix and I'm having a hard time getting in touch with the guy who worked on it. All my brother could remember is they replaced some sort of sensor.... actually a couple as he recalls, before they nailed it. As he recalls it initially was thought it had something to do with a switch on the foot pedal, but as he recalls, that wasn't it. If there is a common issue out there and anyone can point me to it.... I'd be most appreciative. Thanks.... Gary

motorhead

Equipment
2009 B3200, 2007 Dodge/Cummins powered Ram 2500 395hp
May 17, 2012
Atascadero
You may or may not have the "operator presence" switch on the seat. Could be out of adjustment. Mine is bypassed. Check all of your PTO levers and safety switches. You say it just quit. Will the engine crank but not run? Check for 12 volts at the injection pump solenoid shut off.

Reactions: 1 user

blenderbender

Equipment
B3000
Mar 5, 2016
Eastern Ohio
Yeah, my seat switch is bypassed also and the connection was the first thing I checked. PTO disengaged, not sure what other safety switches there are. I know I have had to toggle the foot pedal occasionally to find the sweet spot to engage starter but no amount of toggling produces cranking this time. Nothing happens when I turn the key.... battery good, lights work. I'll have to search to find the injection pump solenoid as I have no idea where that's located. Like I said I was casually driving the tractor to grab another load of chips and it's as if someone turned the key to the off position.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Sounds like you have a main power failure.
It's not the stop solenoid ("injection pump solenoid") as that wouldn't keep it from cranking.

2Huskies

Equipment
B3000
Jun 11, 2018
Glenburn, ND
I have the same model tractor, and I have had the exact same issue this spring. I can be driving along, and it just stops dead in its tracks, for no apparent reason. I can't yet help you with a cause, but on mine, something is causing the 5 amp OPC fuse in the fuse box under the hood on the right side of the firewall to keep blowing. While I continue trying to track down the root cause, I just keep replacing the fuse and the tractor miraculously comes back to life, like nothing ever happened.

motorhead

Equipment
May 17, 2012
Atascadero
My B3200 has a main 30 amp fuse by the engine. Check the other fuse panel where ever it is located on your tractor for a bad fuse or bad connections. Only other thing to check is the ignition switch. Check to see if it has battery power to the gang plug that plugs into the switch. Check the battery connections.

motorhead

Equipment
May 17, 2012
Atascadero
Sounds like you have a main power failure.
It's not the stop solenoid ("injection pump solenoid") as that wouldn't keep it from cranking.
The original poster didn't say if the engine cranked or not so that's why I suggested checking for voltage at the injection pump solenoid. This would be a valid test if the engine cranked but didn't fire.

Indiapaleale

Equipment
2013 L3800 with 150 hours 524 FEL aftermarket Simms Cab kubota 64" snowblower
Nov 27, 2017
Canada Cape Breton
I have had to toggle the foot pedal occasionally to find the sweet spot to engage starter but no amount of toggling produces cranking this time. Nothing happens when I turn the key.... battery good, lights work.

I think NIW is dead on

blenderbender

Equipment
B3000
Mar 5, 2016
Eastern Ohio
I have the same model tractor, and I have had the exact same issue this spring. I can be driving along, and it just stops dead in its tracks, for no apparent reason. I can't yet help you with a cause, but on mine, something is causing the 5 amp OPC fuse in the fuse box under the hood on the right side of the firewall to keep blowing. While I continue trying to track down the root cause, I just keep replacing the fuse and the tractor miraculously comes back to life, like nothing ever happened.
Thanks.... Please keep me posted if you do land on the root cause and I will do the same. I'm off to look at the fuses now. And thanks for other's comments. I'm guessing there's likely a myriad of probable causes for a "main power failure".

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
One "trick" to help with intermittent shorts is to get a 5 amp circuit breaker that plugs right into the fuse slot.

This might help you trouble shoot what is causing the short. ;)
Sadly most of the time it's just a bad OPC causing it to short out.

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA

motorhead

Equipment
May 17, 2012
Atascadero
Good to hear that it is running again. The most important thing you did for this forum was to post what fixed it. Thanks also to the poster that shared what made his tractor die too. I would figure that the 5 amp fuse must feed some relay for the injection pump solenoid and start function. You might check the connections at any relays on the tractor. On my B3200, they are behind the cover that runs from the instrument cluster down to the floor board.
If you don't have one, I would HIGHLY recommend buying a factory shop manual, either a paper version or CD. They pay for themselves the first time, like this issue you had.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
I would figure that the 5 amp fuse must feed some relay for the injection pump solenoid and start function.
I take it you missed that the 5 amp fuse runs the OPC, but yes the OPC controls the tractor. ;)

motorhead

Equipment
May 17, 2012
Atascadero
I take it you missed that the 5 amp fuse runs the OPC, but yes the OPC controls the tractor. ;)
Sorry if I am not completely schooled in all of the abbreviations. I didn't miss anything. I stated that the 5 amp fuse must only control a relay. Which is probably included in the OPC.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Sorry if I am not completely schooled in all of the abbreviations. I didn't miss anything. I stated that the 5 amp fuse must only control a relay. Which is probably included in the OPC.
Calm down not trying to bust your chops or school you.

The OPC is a computer, most are solid state, no relays involved. ;)

Last edited: