B2630 Battery/Starting issue

davatk

Mar 23, 2010
Flint Hill, VA
Greetings,

Looking for some guidance or lessons learned from folks on this forum. I have a B2630 that had been starting fine. I went to bushhog the other day and got into some thick brush and the tractor choked out. Upon trying to restart, the engine would not turn over, I just heard the starter relay clicking, trying to engage. After some troubleshooting I notice a corroded positive battery terminal which I cleaned (both). Still would not start so I finally decided to try and jump start it. The tractor started and I was able to use it. Before shutting down the tractor, I measured the voltage at the battery with the tractor running, and it was only about 7.5 V. After shutting the tractor off, the battery voltage was about 10.5 V. I'm pretty sure I need a battery, but was wondering if a defective battery would cause the low voltage readout when the tractor is running. In most cases I would expect to read about 14 V if the alternator is charging properly, so I am wondering if I have a defective alternator as well and/or if there is a way to definitively test the alternator.

Thanks for any advice !

Dave

stealth71

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B26 TLB
Jul 28, 2023
FL
A lot of the local auto parts stores can bench test your alternator if you take it in. It sounds like you have already determined the alternator or something related like a voltage regulator is bad. I would also expect more voltage coming from the alternator as well.

GSD-Keegan

Equipment
B2601 with Fel and Bh70 backhoe
Mar 6, 2021
Ontario, Canada
I agree. Should be closer to 14 volts. Have a quick look at your belt and tension first, then a look at wiring involving the charging system before getting too many tools out.

lynnmor

Equipment
B2601-1
May 3, 2021
Red Lion
If you take the generator for testing, take the battery along as well, after you fully charged it.

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
If you take the generator for testing, take the battery along as well, after you fully charged it.
Battery needs charge, and then a "load test" for certain.
I have 14 batteries total.
I own a 500 amp carbon pile load tester.
Cheap to buy, and makes life a bit more simple.

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
Greetings,

Looking for some guidance or lessons learned from folks on this forum. I have a B2630 that had been starting fine. I went to bushhog the other day and got into some thick brush and the tractor choked out. Upon trying to restart, the engine would not turn over, I just heard the starter relay clicking, trying to engage. After some troubleshooting I notice a corroded positive battery terminal which I cleaned (both). Still would not start so I finally decided to try and jump start it. The tractor started and I was able to use it. Before shutting down the tractor, I measured the voltage at the battery with the tractor running, and it was only about 7.5 V. After shutting the tractor off, the battery voltage was about 10.5 V. I'm pretty sure I need a battery, but was wondering if a defective battery would cause the low voltage readout when the tractor is running. In most cases I would expect to read about 14 V if the alternator is charging properly, so I am wondering if I have a defective alternator as well and/or if there is a way to definitively test the alternator.

Thanks for any advice !

Dave
Dave you do have a failed “dynamo” is likely. Many posts here on troubleshooting that.

An alternator “upgrade” kit might appeal to you. Here’s a link to such a discussion with pics on a different site:

davatk

Mar 23, 2010
Flint Hill, VA
Dave you do have a failed “dynamo” is likely. Many posts here on troubleshooting that.

An alternator “upgrade” kit might appeal to you. Here’s a link to such a discussion with pics on a different site:
IF the dynamo tests OK at high rev, what is the next likely culprit (assuming a good battery). Voltage regulator ? Is there guidance on how to test that ?

Thanks all !

Dave

jaxs

Equipment
B1750HST
Jun 22, 2023
Texas
IF the dynamo tests OK at high rev, what is the next likely culprit (assuming a good battery). Voltage regulator ? Is there guidance on how to test that ?

Thanks all !

Dave
Don't attempt to learn everything in a single session,take baby steps learning as you go. Getting out in front of the hounds before knowing what the hounds are tracking will not lead anywhere good.

davatk

Mar 23, 2010
Flint Hill, VA
Don't attempt to learn everything in a single session,take baby steps learning as you go. Getting out in front of the hounds before knowing what the hounds are tracking will not lead anywhere good.
Understood, and appreciate all the guidance and ideas from this group. Slow and steady may be the way to go but unfortunately I still work during the week at a full time job and have limited time to spend on repairs, so I am just hoping to get to the bottom of this sooner rather than later.