B2601 Rotary Tiller suggestions

SteveYOW

Equipment
B2601
Sep 1, 2022
Ottawa
I'm in the market for a rotary tiller. When researching the minimum HP requirements I'm getting a little confused.
The B2601 is a 25HP tractor with 19HP at the PTO. From my research, the size of the tiller should be larger then the rear tire outside spacing. That leaves 54 inch or greater tiller. When reading the specs for a 58" or 60" tiller, the minimum HP requirement is 25HP to 30HP. I don't want to offset a smaller tiller to keep within the minimum spec.
I have read and watched videos of people using a 58" and 60" tiller on their B2601 however, for the price of a tiller, I don't want to make a mistake.
I understand that the ground I'm tilling makes a difference, and the 4 or 6 tines make a difference. I also have no problem going slow with multiple passes.
I'm currently looking at the MRT3560 LS Tractor Tiller. 60" with 4 Tines.
any suggestions or reassurances would be apricated.

Thanks in advance.

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
***Current*** M6060HDC, MX6000HSTC & GL7000 ***Sold*** MX6000HST & BX25TLB
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
Have you looked at the Land Pride website and used the "Kubota Matched" option. It might put your mind at ease with the LS that you're interested in. The 58" model with 23-60 HP requirement is shown as being matched to B series tractors.

The RGA1258 and RGR1258 are very similar to the MRT3560 in terms of specifications.

Kubota Matched Tillers.jpg

B737

Lifetime Member

Equipment
LX3310
Jun 9, 2019
New Jersey
I ran LP RTA 1258 ON B2601 it did a good job with it.

Sporto

Equipment
B2601-1, FDR1660, RTA1258, BB1560, LR1672, PFL1242, MK Martin Snow Blower
Mar 20, 2021
Manitoba Canada
I have a RTA1258 that I use with my B2601 and it works great. However if you push it to hard it can start to bog the tractor down but just back off a bit and it away you go. I assume that you have decided the forward versus Reverse rotation issue?

Reactions: 1 user

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
One of the problem with 'specs' is WHAT were the actual conditions that were used to determine them ?
Chewing up old 50-70 yr old pastures into veggy garden requires some serious horsepower and STRONG equipment ! 'Fluffing' up an existing garden is easy on both man and machine.
If it's a virgin field, I'd plow it first,wait 2-3 days, then till. A LOT less stress on the tiller. It'll still be a 'low and slow' process...the FIRST pass. Also star a huge compost pile, You need to 'give back what you take' and the more compost you put into the patch the easier the tilling is.

• Dislike

SteveYOW

Equipment
B2601
Sep 1, 2022
Ottawa
Thanks for all your replies.
Have you looked at the Land Pride website and used the "Kubota Matched" option. It might put your mind at ease with the LS that you're interested in. The 58" model with 23-60 HP requirement is shown as being matched to B series tractors.

The RGA1258 and RGR1258 are very similar to the MRT3560 in terms of specifications.

View attachment 86415
Thanks for this info.
I have looked at this website, which did put me at easy, however, just to add to the confusion, your linked spec. sheet shows that that each flange has 6 tines while the RGA12 series web site RTA12 Series Rotary Tillers | Land Pride indicates 4 tines per flange. The LS Tractor MRT3560 has 4 tines, so at least it requires a lower HP.
Thanks again

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
Jay is right on,, however if you can't plow and only till it, a rule of thumb from the old days was 5 HP for foot of PTO implement. SO if you want to run a 50 incher no worries. However if the ground has never been worked by you, and you do not know what interesting things you might find. If I may offer a suggestion, no matter what you get tiller wise, dont just drop it in and let it chew, thats hard on everything! Drop her down an inch and run the plot, in that inch you might be supprised what you will find. It also helps to level the plot out a bit, then turn around and drop another inch or so and go the other way and then criss cross the plot. Every pass, go a little deeper, you will find roots, rocks, pieces of pipe, wood all kinds of stuff, that make you wonder how the hell that got there. Go slow and easy, untill you get it all the way down. Then go over it a few more times to "FLUFFING" it up and you can work some amendments into the ground at this point. Now next spring till it and you will be ready to go, you will find some hard stuff because ground will clump up inthe winter untill it is really worked up, with compost and sand and stuff. One more thought, if you plan on doing a larger garden you might want to send soil samples off to the county or state Ag branch for an analyses, I did and found I needed about 4000 pounds of lime per acer, to free up everything that was locked up in the soil. SO enjoy the dirt and the tractor time, and the fruits of your labor.

SteveYOW

Equipment
B2601
Sep 1, 2022
Ottawa
I have a RTA1258 that I use with my B2601 and it works great. However if you push it to hard it can start to bog the tractor down but just back off a bit and it away you go. I assume that you have decided the forward versus Reverse rotation issue?
Thanks for this.
I have rocks / boulders on my land, so I'm only looking at forward direction.
Thanks again

SteveYOW

Equipment
B2601
Sep 1, 2022
Ottawa
One of the problem with 'specs' is WHAT were the actual conditions that were used to determine them ?
Chewing up old 50-70 yr old pastures into veggy garden requires some serious horsepower and STRONG equipment ! 'Fluffing' up an existing garden is easy on both man and machine.
If it's a virgin field, I'd plow it first,wait 2-3 days, then till. A LOT less stress on the tiller. It'll still be a 'low and slow' process...the FIRST pass. Also star a huge compost pile, You need to 'give back what you take' and the more compost you put into the patch the easier the tilling is.
This is great advise.
Thanks

SteveYOW

Equipment
B2601
Sep 1, 2022
Ottawa
Jay is right on,, however if you can't plow and only till it, a rule of thumb from the old days was 5 HP for foot of PTO implement. SO if you want to run a 50 incher no worries. However if the ground has never been worked by you, and you do not know what interesting things you might find. If I may offer a suggestion, no matter what you get tiller wise, dont just drop it in and let it chew, thats hard on everything! Drop her down an inch and run the plot, in that inch you might be supprised what you will find. It also helps to level the plot out a bit, then turn around and drop another inch or so and go the other way and then criss cross the plot. Every pass, go a little deeper, you will find roots, rocks, pieces of pipe, wood all kinds of stuff, that make you wonder how the hell that got there. Go slow and easy, untill you get it all the way down. Then go over it a few more times to "FLUFFING" it up and you can work some amendments into the ground at this point. Now next spring till it and you will be ready to go, you will find some hard stuff because ground will clump up inthe winter untill it is really worked up, with compost and sand and stuff. One more thought, if you plan on doing a larger garden you might want to send soil samples off to the county or state Ag branch for an analyses, I did and found I needed about 4000 pounds of lime per acer, to free up everything that was locked up in the soil. SO enjoy the dirt and the tractor time, and the fruits of your labor.
Thanks for your response.

This is great advice I will be sure to follow.

B737

Lifetime Member

Equipment
LX3310
Jun 9, 2019
New Jersey
wow @ some of the above advice, I'm amazed how some get any actual work done, why bother owning a tractor?? Wouldn't want to "work that tiller too hard!" :rolleyes: 😂

I have tilled ground so hard, so compacted, that it was bending metal stakes when trying to hammer them in.

Without looking at it, I believe the RTA1258 is 6 tines(?) (I'm guessing cause it's out in the shed). The B2601 has absolutely no trouble with it, I have tilled everything from old neglected pastures, to what was once woods, and turned into lawn. I have run it into trash, rocks, stumps, roots.... Does the B2601 turn it like the LX3310? No, but the B2601 does a perfectly acceptable job with a RTA1258.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: 2 users

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
Well everyone's fields are different. 737's look like real nice topsoil with no 'surprises'.
:(
One 5ac patch I did, no way the 5'tiller on a 45 hp tractor would touch without 'working harder,not smarter'. Even running the 30" subsoiler was a 'treat' 1st gear ,low range, full throttle. PO farmer had 'notilled,no compost' for 40+ years.
'fun' is when the tiller 'finds' a long section of ancient fencing......

• Dislike

Sporto

Equipment
B2601-1, FDR1660, RTA1258, BB1560, LR1672, PFL1242, MK Martin Snow Blower
Mar 20, 2021
Manitoba Canada
My RTA1258 has 4 tines and I believe the RGA has 6

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
I would expect Land Pride and Kubota to have some idea about how to make recommendations in terms of matching tractors to implements. This isn't their first rodeo you know. I'm fairly sure that they're aware of the challenges of running a tiller around an asphalt parking lot as compared to a "fluffy" field. The B series if offered in 2301, 2401 and 2601 configurations so it's reasonable to assume that they focus on the smallest model in the series, and take into consideration the "typical" use of the implement as they work up the "Kubota Matched" matrix.

Of course, they might just use a dartboard and a blindfold.

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
My RTA1258 has 4 tines and I believe the RGA has 6
The RGA and RGR have six tines per flange according to the spec sheet linked in the second post.

SteveYOW

Equipment
B2601
Sep 1, 2022
Ottawa
I would expect Land Pride and Kubota to have some idea about how to make recommendations in terms of matching tractors to implements. This isn't their first rodeo you know. I'm fairly sure that they're aware of the challenges of running a tiller around an asphalt parking lot as compared to a "fluffy" field. The B series if offered in 2301, 2401 and 2601 configurations so it's reasonable to assume that they focus on the smallest model in the series, and take into consideration the "typical" use of the implement as they work up the "Kubota Matched" matrix.

Of course, they might just use a dartboard and a blindfold.
You are correct to a point. I did approach my KUBOTA dealer and the response I got was that the 58" Land Pride was too big for my tractor. That's why I'm doing my own research and asking questions on this forum where I'm getting real world experiences.

SteveYOW

Equipment
B2601
Sep 1, 2022
Ottawa
wow @ some of the above advice, im amazed how some get any actual work done, why bother owning a tractor?? Wouldnt want to "work that tiller too hard!" :rolleyes: 😂

I have tilled ground so hard, so compacted, that it was bending metal stakes when attempted to be hammered into it.

Without looking at it, I believe the RTA1258 is 6 tines(?) (im guessing cause its out in the shed). The B2601 has absolutely no trouble with it, I have tilled everything from old neglected pastures, to what was once woods, and turned into lawn. I have run it into trash, rocks, stumps, roots.... Does the B2601 turn it like the LX3310? no, however the B2601 does a perfectly acceptable job with a RTA1258.

Thanks for your advice. This is real world experience.