B2400 Turf to R4 fronts

micomike

Equipment
B2400 HSD 48" Howse rotary cutter, 48" box scraper, log hitch, FEL
Dec 30, 2011
Manchester, PA. USA
Hi to all OTT members. I want to replace my 23X8.50-12 front turfs to R4 tires for more durability for FEL use and puncture resistance when bushhogging briars. Can I use a 23X8.50-12 skidloader R4 tire and not change final front to rear ratios? I am assuming they are the same diameter but not sure since they are a different tread pattern. I have the standard 33X12.50-15 turf tires. Thanks for any advice.

BadDog

Equipment
B7100D TL and B2150D TLB
Jun 5, 2013
Phoenix, AZ
I've been looking into tire issues for my 2150D too. There was a recent thread of mine that linked an older one where this was covered in pretty good depth. The bottom line is that all you care about is rolling circumference. And you want it within 2% of the actual drive ratio front to back on your tractor.

gpreuss

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200DT w/FEL, K650 Backhoe, 5' Rotary, 40" Howard Rotavator, 6' Rhino blade
Oct 9, 2011
Spokane, WA
You are going to have to do the research on this. The rolling circumference of the turf tires, as listed in www.titanstore.com, is 65" with a 4-plu rating, and 66" with a 6-ply rating. The 6-ply R4 is 68". The load rating of the 6-ply turf is 1400 lbs, with the 6-ply R4 it is 1800 lbs. Your nearest Kubota dealer can give you the rating of the front axle. On my L3200 it was only about 2650 lbs! So when you work all of the numbers, you are screwed.
I wouldn't be afraid to go with the R4 tires. I have read that Kubota likes up to 5% drag from the front tire. But I also figure tires are tough things. If you have 6-ply turf fronts you are most likely OK - they have the same or better ratings as the AG tires do.

tiredguy

Equipment
B3030 HSTC,B2781 51" front mounted snowblower,60" MMM
Jan 21, 2010
northern lower Michigan
I've been looking into tire issues for my 2150D too. There was a recent thread of mine that linked an older one where this was covered in pretty good depth. The bottom line is that all you care about is rolling circumference. And you want it within 2% of the actual drive ratio front to back on your tractor.
BadDog's been paying very close attention on this issue I'm happy to see!
Rolling circumference must be within 2% so that is your only concern when it comes to matching size. Also mentioned was the load carrying capacity which is important too. You never want to replace any tire with less load carrying capacity especially if you have a front end loader, and never excede the maximum air pressure the tire has listed on it.

The number one cause of tire failure on the front end of compact tractors is over inflation which takes away the tires ability to flex under a load and instead of it squatting down as you roll over objects such as rocks or a curm the tire breaks/splits open from impact break because it's to hard to flex.
Al

micomike

Equipment
B2400 HSD 48" Howse rotary cutter, 48" box scraper, log hitch, FEL
Dec 30, 2011
Manchester, PA. USA
Thanks for the input guys. Does anyone know the front to rear drive ratio for the B2400? I seldom use 4WD except in mud or snow and then only if wheel slippage in 2WD. I'd rather have the wheels slip a little than break something when using FEL. My 4 ply turfs get punctures easily when brushhogging and are dry rotted so it's time to replace them. I want to go with the same size R4's in a 8 ply rating for more durability. Weight rating of the R4's is much higher than the turfs so I have a little bit of flexabilty with inflation pressure to vary tire diameter. I want to give them a try unless somebody thinks this is wrong.