b2400 steering box fail. Tech help!

ksingh

Equipment
b2400
May 9, 2021
Jackson, Wisconsin
I just installed a loader on a B2400. I moved 3 loads of some gravel. On the way pack to the pile with an empty bucket the steering box failed on me. See pictures. I am not an expert in tractors, would to heavy of a load take this bearing out??? This is my third tractor with front end loader and I have never had a steering box fail. The bucket wasn't even full. Also, before this got used I had the box brought in to my kubota dealership to throw new seals at it because the top seal started to leak. I trust their work, so trying to figure out what went wrong here. My hope is they can fix it, my fear is to figure out why it failed and make sure it does not happen again. I would not think front end weight would do this, if so.....I may not be a Kubota fan anymore.

Attachments

Pau7220

Equipment
L3650 GST, Landpride TL250 FEL w/ Piranha, 6' King Kutter, GM1084R Finish
Aug 1, 2017
Scranton, PA
Did the loader weight cause this?... No.
Since others were in there (dealer or not), I'd have to suspect improper assembly or adjustment. That thrust bearing is protected by washers on each side and the load goes to the rollers, not to the cage which failed.
I had my box out and apart due to years of neglect, abuse, and butchered repairs. I actually had to buy a used housing. My main cause of failure was worn stops on the front axle causing the ballnut to top out and actually knock the retainer off the top of the box. I had to make a stop for the pitman arm. It has worked perfectly since.
Cleanliness, reassembly order, and adjustments are critical.

ksingh

Equipment
b2400
May 9, 2021
Jackson, Wisconsin
Did the loader weight cause this?... No.
Since others were in there (dealer or not), I'd have to suspect improper assembly or adjustment. That thrust bearing is protected by washers on each side and the load goes to the rollers, not to the cage which failed.
I had my box out and apart due to years of neglect, abuse, and butchered repairs. I actually had to buy a used housing. My main cause of failure was worn stops on the front axle causing the ballnut to top out and actually knock the retainer off the top of the box. I had to make a stop for the pitman arm. It has worked perfectly since.
Cleanliness, reassembly order, and adjustments are critical.

where is the pre load set on those?