B2400 HSD Starts then Shuts down

JRinWV

Equipment
B2400 HSD w LA351, B3200 HSD w LA 504 and RCK-60 27BA
Oct 27, 2022
Rock Oak, WV
My hard working B2400 HSD won’t run, with symptoms that are just like a bad fuel shutoff solenoid: engine runs with the ignition in start, shuts off immediately when the key goes back to run. Based on reading lots of threads on this forum, I did the following:

1. Pulled and bench tested the solenoid: it failed as expected opening on ‘start’ but failing to hold open on ‘run.’
  2. Put in a new solenoid, same problem.
  3. With the new solenoid installed, jumperred the solenoid with my bench test arrangement, started the tractor & it ran.
  4. Verified that the 12v hold open voltage is getting to the pin and that the fuses look o.k. Cleaned contacts, reconnected solenoid: same problem.
  5. Replaced the ignition switch, still no joy.

Cleaned the contacts on the wiring harness and looked for problems there, but it is dark, tight and hard to trace. Is that my next line of attack? Welcome some wisdom from the forum,

Jason

Russell King

Equipment
L185F, Modern Ag Competitor 4’ shredder, Rhino tiller, rear dirt scoop
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
I would try to ground the solenoid case directly to the negative battery terminal with a wire. See if that works and if so then work on the ground path between the solenoid and the battery negative cable

Reactions: 1 user

whitetiger

Staff member

Equipment
Kubota tech..BX2370, RCK60, B7100HST, RTV900 w plow, Ford 1100 FWA
Nov 20, 2011
Kansas City, KS
You have a problem with the wire from the key switch to the shut-off solenoid hold circuit wire. Attached is the wiring schematic for this circuit.

Attachments

Reactions: 1 users

JRinWV

Equipment
Oct 27, 2022
Rock Oak, WV
I would try to ground the solenoid case directly to the negative battery terminal with a wire. See if that works and if so then work on the ground path between the solenoid and the battery negative cable
This was easy to try, using a jumper cable: did not fix the problem. it is a three wire solenoid, so I would not expect the case to ground to be critical.

JRinWV

Equipment
Oct 27, 2022
Rock Oak, WV
You have a problem with the wire from the key switch to the shut-off solenoid hold circuit wire. Attached is the wiring schematic for this circuit.
Schematic is very useful, thanks. Looks like the hold circuit is simple, with only a fuse and two connectors. Will have to disassemble some more stuff to trace that line....