B2150 leak from steering column.

BadDog

Equipment
B7100D TL and B2150D TLB
Jun 5, 2013
Phoenix, AZ
I noticed when I cleaned it up that my 2150, which has power steering, had a bunch of greasy gunk accumulated around the steering column. I cleaned it off think, "Now why would that be there, overzealous user with some extra grease? <shrug>" Of course I've noticed it wet since, and realized the column is basically the steering sector input shaft, so that obviously means bad seal and hydraulic leak. Wonderful.

So my question would be, is this common, or anything else I should be worrying about or looking at/for while at it?

tracker

Equipment
B2150
Sep 12, 2010
Lisburn, Co Antrim, N Ireland
Funny enough .. would you believe it? I have the very same problem myself! My steering column leaks a small amount. I have been putting up with it but if it wasn't rocket science I would like to fix it. I think the steering uses the same oil as hydraulic system so if you watch the oil level for hydraulics i think you will be ok? ( but i invite advice from those with more knowledge). I see the post was a while ago. Did you take action?

BadDog

Equipment
B7100D TL and B2150D TLB
Jun 5, 2013
Phoenix, AZ
Yes, it all uses the same hydraulics, and it's a slow weeping leak, so unlikely to be anything other than just another mess to cleanup. As for taking action, the post was yesterday, so haven't even begun to look into it yet.

BadDog

Equipment
B7100D TL and B2150D TLB
Jun 5, 2013
Phoenix, AZ
I recently fixed my leak, wasn't hard to do.

Wheel comes off, some bushings and bezels removed, steering tube removed (huge thin nut is a bit aggravating, had to use a chisel), remove upper extension shaft (pin/spring), top casting remove (3 bolts), top side clip ring remove, remove seal and clean/polish lower shaft seal surface, reverse.

So far no leaks, but the shaft was a bit chewed up so not sure how long it will last. Would have been better if it had been fixed long ago before the shaft got so worn...