Auxiliary light switching

VerBota

Equipment
BX24
Oct 9, 2017
Southeastern, Vermont
Former lurker, new member here. I’ve got a BX24 and am looking to add some auxiliary lighting. I know there must be 100 threads on this topic and I’ve probably read 50 of them but have not seen anything that would answer my question. I picked up a couple of cheap 36W LED light bars and have fabricated a ROPS mount for them, one facing forward, one facing rear. I have never used and will never use my turn signals. I’m thinking of tying onto the leads for the ROPS mounted turn signals for the LED’s and jumping/bypassing the flasher relay and, viola, I’ve got factory dashboard switched LED’s. Left signal for rear, right signal for forward and presumably the emergency flasher switch for both. Has anyone ever done this or does anyone have any concerns? The LEDs’ pigtails do not have enough wire showing to see any printing as to what gauge they are and I don’t know what gauge is running back to the signal lamps. For that matter, I haven’t even checked to see how many amps that circuit is fused for.

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
I think by the time you change all the parts to do what you want.....

you could run a relay, hot wire and switch to light up the lights!:D:)

OrangeColoredTractor

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2017 L2501 4WD HST
May 10, 2017
Washington
I think by the time you change all the parts to do what you want.....

you could run a relay, hot wire and switch to light up the lights!:D:)
Bingo, no sense of hacking up a nice tractor with a "cobbly" set up like that. Get you the standard 30A relay, power to the input (#30) then lighting to #87, (not 87A) then use 85 and 86 to control the relay. If you want to switch is using a power, ground one side, power up the other, or power up one side, then switch the ground side.