aux lights set up ideas

bbbobbb

Sep 7, 2011
Bucks County PA
I'm looking to put a set of aux lights mounted to the ROP on the outsides. I plan on being able to rotate them to the area that needs light. Does anyone have a set that they really like thats super bright and not too exspensive ? Also any pics so I can get an idea of your set up (also switch position) Thanks

stuart

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B7001 with loader & tiller, 3 point hitch and 4' rear blade
Aug 9, 2009
Aldergrove, BC, Canada
No products to recommend, but some thoughts to consider.

1 - clamp to the rops, do not drill into it

2 - consider replacing the generator/alternator, as the stock ones often will not generate enough amperage to run extra lights - you end up with a flat battery after snow removal at night. Makes next morning very annoying.

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
I've used several different brands and believe it or not my best luck has been with the cheap $20-$25 pilot brand lights from Autozone. I have one set that are over 10 yrs old and they still work great.

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
I made a bracket for the ROPS,, nothing like my friend Wildfire would do,:D,, And mounted 2 55watt driving lights to the top of the ROPS, they are about 24 inches apart and set up about 4 inches other wise they shine on the back of my head. I tried to use magnets to hold it in place but because of the forming of the top piece they could not get a firm hold, so a couple of clamps and long bolts. It really lights things up with the plow on and I dont even have to turn on the head lights,, not like they are of much use with the plow on anyway. And when the season with that "S" word is over the lights come off, and I can do that thing with the grass.

Frankb

Equipment
Kubota B2601, FEL, Backhoe, Belly Mower, Grapple, Rear Scrape Blade
Apr 3, 2011
Person County NC
I have two sets of lights that I mounted on my canopy. I first mounted the floods on the Rops, but took them off right after I got the canopy because I kept hitting my arms against the light brackets when I used the backhoe attachment. The flood lights are round and from Peterson. Very bright and nice flood area.
The overhead lights in front are from Blazer and are rectangular Trapezoids. Very nice beam straight ahead and bright as well. Either set can be adjusted to go side to side and up and down by using a lock nut and washers. My front field is just over 300 yards long, and I was able to see past that into a neighbors field where there were deer grazing as I was coming out of the field. I did not just see their eyes, I saw the entire body telling me that the headlights were strong. The floods will light up the entire area where I am digging with backhoe or chipping with the Bear Cat Chipper/Shredder.
Both sets of lights are 55 watts. The cost was no more then $40 a set.

The difference between the Peterson and Blazer was that Peterson floods had a rubber casing around the lights and the Blazer headlights had a plastic grill guard across the front for protection from branches when I drove into the woods. I would buy both sets again if anything happened to them.
Hope that helps.

Frankb

Equipment
Apr 3, 2011
Person County NC
Here is a pic of the lights in rear. If you look close, you can see the back of the front lights as well.

Attachments

Frankb

Equipment
Apr 3, 2011
Person County NC
I forgot to mention where the lights came from. The Blazers came from Tractor Supply Store, and the Peterson's came from Northern Tool Store.
Tractor Supply also had the sealed on/off switches that I used.

bcbull378

Equipment
GL3830,fel,brush hog,pallet forks,disc,gannon,auger,springtooth,plow,drag,ripper
Sep 6, 2011
Ventura Ca
you fellas that already installed a set or 2 of lights have you had an alternator problem ,and were you able to hook up to the factory light switch? Id like to put 2 forward and 1 rearward to work around the ranch here in Ca no snow blowing for me just cultivating

Frankb

Equipment
Apr 3, 2011
Person County NC
The only trouble I had was when I turned on both front and rear sets of lights and blew the 15 amp fuse out. I replaced with a 20 amp fuse and have had no problems at all. The wire was heavy enough to handle the 20 amp fuse. No idea why the 15 was in there to begin with.
I did my power tap from under the left rear fender where the auxiliary plug is located for hooking up the work lights. I did not use the tractor light switch. I installed two separate switches to control the lights as needed, front or rear or both at same time.
The power draw for the lights are not a problem the for alternator on my L3200 tractor.

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
you fellas that already installed a set or 2 of lights have you had an alternator problem ,and were you able to hook up to the factory light switch? Id like to put 2 forward and 1 rearward to work around the ranch here in Ca no snow blowing for me just cultivating
You should be fine with 3 lights. I would install switches for the new lights instead of tampering with the factory wiring.

Frankb

Equipment
Apr 3, 2011
Person County NC
I installed the two floods in the rear for backhoe, scraping and chipping but in all honesty with the amount of light that comes out of the Peterson lights, I could have used only one light and done just as well. I like a lot of light and the one would have done nicely also. Go with the three and see how you like it before you go crazy with the lights like I did. ;)

Frankb

Equipment
Apr 3, 2011
Person County NC
I say crazy only because I have the two low beams and two high beams on the tractor as well as the two trapezoids in front on canopy as well as the two floods on rear of canopy. That could be misconstrued as crazy to some. :D

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
Some might but I wouldn't say it crazy. I say put the light where it's needed. My 9000 has the high/low, factory front and rear floods, one set of amber mounted under the front floods, set of HID mounted mid cab front, one HID on each fender pointed to the side and set HID mounted under the rear floods.

They are not run at the same time but each set has it's intended purpose. Adjusting lights is a pain in the rear. Instead of fighting with doing that I just flip a different switch on.

Frankb

Equipment
Apr 3, 2011
Person County NC
That sounds like a great setup. When I mounted my lights and was able to test them for the first time in the woods, I got a great thrill to see all the light the tractor gave off. It is really nice to be able to throw a switch and have the area you need brightly lit whether it be in front of tractor or in the rear. A flip of a switch and "let there be light"!
I did make sure the two sets were fuse protected and on separate switches for control. I am very happy with my setup.

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
Have you had any trouble with your peterson lights? I had a set of trapazoid lights on my other 9000 and they kept getting cracked lens. It wasn't from limbs, they would crack if I got caught out in the rain with the lights on.

Frankb

Equipment
Apr 3, 2011
Person County NC
I am not sure if I heard that complaint of these lights before from one of your posts or not, but I have heard that before on a forum. No, I have been fortunate not to have that happen to me, at least not yet. My lights are under the canopy some, so I do have some protection from weather. If I do have a problem, I will change over to the Blazer brand I bought at Tractor Supply. I have no problems with either brand so far!

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
I've seen the blazer brand but never tried then. I have 6 sets of pilot brand lights and 2 sets of them have been on my L series for 11 yrs now. They do very well for the money.

Frankb

Equipment
Apr 3, 2011
Person County NC
I happened on the Blazer because I was too lazy to take a 45 minute ride back to Northern Tool in Burlington NC where the first set came from. I was looking on line when I noticed that Tractor Supply had another set of Trapezoid lights I needed and they were right in Danville Va. where I do my shopping (I do all the shopping because I am retired and wife still works). I stopped in and bought the lights with the idea if I did not like them, I could always bring them back on next trip into Danville. I liked the lights just as much as the Peterson set and decided to keep all the lights. As a recommendation to anyone, I would have to say either brand works well for me. The Peterson lights are completely covered except the lens with a rubber outer shell for weather protection. I liked that because the rear floods do stick out closer to the edge of canopy then the front Blazers. Both sets are 55 watts each, and same price as well.

bcbull378

Equipment
GL3830,fel,brush hog,pallet forks,disc,gannon,auger,springtooth,plow,drag,ripper
Sep 6, 2011
Ventura Ca
I would also like to install 2facing forward lights and 1 reward facing I know how I want to install the lights but not sure where I want to put the light switches, any one have any pictures of where you mounted yours?. I want them to look as stock as possible. Has anyone hooked directly to the stock light switch. Ill take all suggestions and pictures thanks for all your help guys ....Dan L3830 2006