Auger On An Excavator?

winesalot

Jul 14, 2016
Chelan, WA
Sorry this is a bit off the tractor topic but I don't know who else to ask.

I built some four foot high nine foot horizontal terraces with a dozer In to the hillside behind our soon to be winery building. I wanted eight foot horizontal surfaces so I made them nine knowing that there would be some material slugging off over time. Now we are thinking we may want to build some soldier pile retaining walls to hole the terraces in place. This will require angering holes right next to the base of the vertices part of the terrace. There is not room to turn a tractor far enough to get a standard 3-point auger up against that wall. I am wondering if anyone has ever seen an auger for an excavator and if you have used one? I own a Kubota 121-3 that is plumbed with a bucket thumb.

(Picture 1 is my terraces and picture 2 is an inter web picture of a soldier pile retaining wall like we are considering.)

Attachments

Last edited:

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Yes they make them looks like around 2K for the drive for it, and yes they work rather well!
It is the same unit as for the Skidsteer, it's just set up for the excavator mounts. ;)

rkidd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650, FEL With QA 60"mmm, 3pt FDR1672,homemade ballast box, BB 1572 box scraper
Dec 7, 2015
Jefferson Ohio
I have used augers on excavators alot of times. They work extremely well on projects. Should be able to rent one no problem.

TRA

Equipment
B2601, LA434, BH70, LP BB1260
Dec 17, 2017
Rock Hill
Would the 3rd function on a B series run one of those by chance?

maclean

Equipment
BX25D
Jun 25, 2014
Lowell, Or
In hard soil you won't get the down pressure you want on an excavator mounted auger. Skid steer...

Russell King

Equipment
L185F, Modern Ag Competitor 4’ shredder, Rhino tiller, rear dirt scoop
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
In hard soil you won't get the down pressure you want on an excavator mounted auger. Skid steer...
Why? Can’t the excavator exert down pressure?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Yes...but at the end of the boom...you can only get so close...skid steers are much better.
I take it you missed him stating he already has a Mini Ex, so I think it's much cheaper for him to get an implement that will fit his Mini Ex then to get a skid steer. ;)

BAP

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2012 Kubota 2920, 60MMM, FEL, BH65 48" Bush Hog, 60"Backblade, B2782B Snowblower
Dec 31, 2012
New Hampshire
Yes...but at the end of the boom...you can only get so close...skid steers are much better.

That’s odd, how do the power companies make their pole holes accurate when their augers are on the end of booms on the trucks parked in the road? Plus, they drill through rock too. An auger on an excavator works great and is much easier to position and get into hard places than a skid steer.

maclean

Equipment
BX25D
Jun 25, 2014
Lowell, Or
Truck is heavier than a mini excavator...same lever action as our front loaders...further from the pivot point the less that you can lift. Same thing with an auger.

My neighbor was building his pole barn. We needed 30 holes...some 7' deep because his engineer (and code) called for the holes to be in undisurbed soil.

He rented a mini excavator. We struggled for four hours to get a hole augered. Try as we might we couldn't get enough down pressure to get a 24" auger to bite. Maybe it was the semi compacted gravel on top...it was wet and my neighbor thought it would help...most of it caved in as we augered. Maybe it was the heavy clay hardpan underneath. Eventually he called the rental place and traded for a skid steer.

And the skid steer worked great...just relating my experience.

I think an excavator of the appropriate size would work.

I think a boom truck digging 16" or less holes for power poles would work.

-Mac

P.S. any way to post videos? Other than uploading to YouTube?

Last edited: