Attachment Advise

aeblank

Jun 19, 2013
Cadillac, MI
I recently purchased a 2013 L3940. LA724 loader, R4 tires, no accessories.
So, my list of mods/stuff is long, but I have some questions.

1. I want a 72" (74", whatever) front blower. As far as I know, that's an L2195A. True? Where is a good place to look for used? There are a couple on craigslist multiple states away, and it may come to that, but is there a better way? Also, is there anything specific to watch out for?

2. Accessories - I don't want junk. I won't be getting anything at tractor supply, etc. I know land pride is highly through of around here. I think highly of Bush Hog. What about king kutter? Others?

3. similar to #2, I want a grader. everything attachments (also highly regarded here, I think) has a couple. The King Kutter, 84", is like $1300. I got a couple quotes for others via email at $2600-ish. WOA! What gives there? I know you get what you pay for, but somewhere along the line you're getting taken advantage of. I see Bush Hog makes one, anyone know the price? And like #2, is King Kutter any good?

4. I also want a 3-pt. trailer hitch, perhaps a quick coupler, pallet forks, mega-lighting, etc. Seems like everything attachments and amazon for all that.

5. Oh, a specific one. What is the I.D. of the lower hose on my L3940? I want to put in a lower hose heater.

Thanks,
Andy

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Andy,
I'll give you a better option then a lower heater hose, go with a block heater, cleaner install and better heat transfer.

78-79fordman

Equipment
2013 m7040hd 2013 L3800HST 1969 MF135
May 21, 2013
Gillham Ar.
I will say this Bush Hog is the king in brush hogs . I have the 5'one my dad bought new in 1969 with his mf135 .. It a heavy monster beast I did have to rebuild it a few years ago . I was going to buy a new one but found out the same model I had was. $3500 new . I spent $800 and rebuild mine .

MtnViewRanch

Oct 10, 2012
Lakeside Ca.
You have a nice tractor. While KK is a name brand, it is an economy name brand. I would stay away from them and stick to the medium-heavy duty implements. For most implements, the heavier they are, the stronger they are. DO NOT go by what they are called. There are plenty of "heavy duty" implements that are at best med duty and some shouldn't even be considered med duty.

As far as the rear blade prices, look to see what was actually quoted. I doubt that they are even close other than they are both blades. If you looked at an 84" $1200 rear blade setting next to an 84" $2600 rear blade, you would understand why there is that kind of a price difference.

If you need to maintain a road, keep in mind a land plane grading scraper, (LPGS). Very hard to beat this implement for general road maintenance. :cool:

Attachments

gpreuss

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200DT w/FEL, K650 Backhoe, 5' Rotary, 40" Howard Rotavator, 6' Rhino blade
Oct 9, 2011
Spokane, WA
The big dollar implements are still in business because they put out a quality product, for people that need them. They can work all day, every day. You have a serious tractor, put some serious tools on it. The dealers like Land Pride, Servis/Rhino, Bush Hog and the like because they don't come back on them. When you are ditching with your Rhino blade and hook a rock, it is nice to know you haven't done any damage to it. You don't even check. It's OK...

TripleR

Equipment
BX2200, BX2660, L5740 HSTC, M8540HDC and some other tractors and equipment
Sep 16, 2011
SE Missouri
Pretty much what everyone else said. Over the years we have tried lots of different brands including King Kutter, Country Line, LMC etc. We now only buy Land Pride, Woods etc., we save money in the long run.

BAP

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2012 Kubota 2920, 60MMM, FEL, BH65 48" Bush Hog, 60"Backblade, B2782B Snowblower
Dec 31, 2012
New Hampshire
I'll second Wolfman on the block heater. Put in a block heater not a hose heater. It will work much better and faster. If you plan on using your implements much, spend the extra money and get the brand like Bushhog, Landpride, Rhino. It will be worth every penny in the long run. The reason the farm store brands are cheaper is because the are built cheaper. It doesn't take much cheapen of quality to make an implement not hold up to use.

aeblank

Jun 19, 2013
Cadillac, MI
When I said grader, I did mean "land plane grading scraper".

I agree on the quality aspect. Just trying to gauge all the brands out there. Obviously a balance has to be struck between cost and quality. I don't have the opportunity to see, in person, all the brands of each implement. It isn't fair to say that if it costs 2x as much, it is twice as good. It could be the same, it could be 10x as good. I forgot about Woods, and there were some other brands mentioned that I'm not familiar with either. I do have an advantage in living in a 100% sand soil, I won't be finding any 1' diameter rocks.

Ok, ok, I'll get a block heater. I know it has to be installed on the right side, or it'll burn up prematurely! Anyone know a PN? Does it thread in, hopefully? If it is freeze plug (press/slip fit), then I won't be touching it no matter what everyone says. http://www.orangetractortalks.com/forums/images/icons/icon12.gif

Anything on the blowers?

MtnViewRanch

Oct 10, 2012
Lakeside Ca.

I agree on the quality aspect. Just trying to gauge all the brands out there. Obviously a balance has to be struck between cost and quality. I don't have the opportunity to see, in person, all the brands of each implement. It isn't fair to say that if it costs 2x as much, it is twice as good. It could be the same, it could be 10x as good. I forgot about Woods, and there were some other brands mentioned that I'm not familiar with either. I do have an advantage in living in a 100% sand soil, I won't be finding any 1' diameter rocks.
With my 1st NEW tractor, I went with a good mid grade 8' rear blade that the dealer recommended. Cost about $1100 nine years ago. What a mistake.:(

The blade was as described and would have been fine for a 50hp 5-6000lb tractor. It was not ok for my 75hp 10,000lb tractor which is now ballasted up to 12,000lbs. I bent it the very first time that I used it. :eek:

Complained to the dealer and was told that I had abused it and told that it was my problem.:mad:

I ended up buying a Land Pride rear blade that is rated for a 15,000lb tractor. No more problems. :cool:This blade cost me $3800 and worth every single cent. And it is easily many times the blade that the mid grade $1100 blade was. ;)

When looking at implements, look at the weight of the implement and that will give you a pretty good idea of the quality of that implement. There are NO heavy poor quality implements that I know of. There are plenty of light implements that have a very narrow proper use level.

Good luck with your decisions. ;)

BAP

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2012 Kubota 2920, 60MMM, FEL, BH65 48" Bush Hog, 60"Backblade, B2782B Snowblower
Dec 31, 2012
New Hampshire
Other thing to take into consideration with buying implements is that most of the big name companies sell more than one grade of a product to hit different markets. You might be able to save a little of you by their middle of the road version and still get a good product if it is something you aren't going to use all the time.

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
First let me agree with Wolfman on the hose heater, been there done that and they are a waste of money. Block heater is the way to go, do it once and be done with it.

Implements, if you are looking for a tiller I wouldn't overlook a King Kutter brand. They are a beast and from what I've seen I would take one of those over my Bushhog tiller any day. I have never had any trouble out of my Bushhog brand but the KK is nice. Aside from that I've been very pleased with all my Bushhog implements.

You have enough pulling power to break cheap implements to pieces. I fully agree with the others, buy a quality implement the first time and be done with it. Another plus to name brand omplements is parts. if by chance something does break you don't want to wait for weeks to get replacement parts.

If you would like a brand to look at that's not as well known, Modern Ag Equipment. I have a private dealer not far from me that sells their implements from his farm. From everything I have seen or heard about them they build a quality product and it's not a problem getting parts. I'll say this, everything they built is much heavier than anything you will see at TSC.

gpreuss

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200DT w/FEL, K650 Backhoe, 5' Rotary, 40" Howard Rotavator, 6' Rhino blade
Oct 9, 2011
Spokane, WA

Ok, ok, I'll get a block heater. I know it has to be installed on the right side, or it'll burn up prematurely! Anyone know a PN? Does it thread in, hopefully? If it is freeze plug (press/slip fit), then I won't be touching it no matter what everyone says. http://www.orangetractortalks.com/forums/images/icons/icon12.gif

Anything on the blowers?
Actually, I was referring to more like 3'-5' boulders, or scraping granite pan. I seldom have the luxury of working in real "dirt". Heavy duty is the only duty.