Tractor stuck in a failed shop.

Chrisk

Equipment
Kabota lawn tractors an snowblower
Apr 27, 2024
Lac la hache BC
Hey I live in British Columbia Canada an I've ran into an issue an hoping you guys on here can help I had my elderly fathers kabota lawn tractor and snowblower attachment we've had for years go and get fluids and filters changed an ready for winter an apparently the local mechanic went belly up an didn't pay shop rent an was booted out and I'm trying to get my dad's kabota and snowblower attachment back for his but they are asking for proof of purchase with signature all I can find is the manual an what looks like the serial number written in pen on the page where it talks about where to find the serial number in the manual anyway my dad's dementia and Alzheimer's and health is getting worse an thinks I stole it from him an has it in his head I'm a thief an doesn't trust me an I am no thief let alone from him an it's difficult enuf being the one looking after him as is but I'd rather not have him pass away thinking his only kid is a little w life thief an was stealing off him. I think I posted this wrong but not a computer techy type sorry but anyone knows what I can do I would be sooooo grateful to you not sure if ill figure out how to get here to check if there is replies but I do have an email ( MOD EDIT: No direct emails allowed) if anyone can help me figure this out or how to get rid of Justin Trudeau lol maybe msg me there as well thanks

Last edited by a moderator:

PaulL

Equipment
B2601
Jul 17, 2017
NZ
Hey I live in British Columbia Canada an I've ran into an issue an hoping you guys on here can help I had my elderly fathers kabota lawn tractor and snowblower attachment we've had for years go and get fluids and filters changed an ready for winter an apparently the local mechanic went belly up an didn't pay shop rent an was booted out and I'm trying to get my dad's kabota and snowblower attachment back for his but they are asking for proof of purchase with signature all I can find is the manual an what looks like the serial number written in pen on the page where it talks about where to find the serial number in the manual anyway my dad's dementia and Alzheimer's and health is getting worse an thinks I stole it from him an has it in his head I'm a thief an doesn't trust me an I am no thief let alone from him an it's difficult enuf being the one looking after him as is but I'd rather not have him pass away thinking his only kid is a little w life thief an was stealing off him. I think I posted this wrong but not a computer techy type sorry but anyone knows what I can do I would be sooooo grateful to you not sure if ill figure out how to get here to check if there is replies but I do have an email ( MOD EDIT: No direct emails allowed) if anyone can help me figure this out or how to get rid of Justin Trudeau lol maybe msg me there as well thanks
Probably need to make a new thread rather than adding to an old one.

My thought is that lots of people don't have proof of ownership in the way they seem to be asking. I'd go visit them in person and explain the situation. You have an owner's manual with the serial number written on it, your father has dementia, it's pretty hard to work out if he has original receipts for it.

Another option if you have only one local Kubota dealer, and if he bought it new, is to ask them if they have records.

torch

Equipment
B7100HSD, B2789, B2550, B4672, 48" cultivator, homemade FEL and Cab
Jun 10, 2016
Muskoka, Ont.
Step 1: Edit your above post (click "Edit" just below it) and munge your e-mail address! (eg: type it as something like "chris underscore killian at live dot ca"). Better yet, remove it completely, sharing it only by the Private Message function of this board if necessary to share it with a specific member. Posting it publicly like that is an invitation to bots and spammers.

Now: who are "they" that are holding your dad's tractor hostage? Bank? Landlord?
When you took it to the mechanic, did you get any sort of written estimate? (in Ontario that is required, not sure about BC).

So, "they" are playing dirty and demanding a signed receipt eh? You know the make and model. You know the serial number. Tractors are often purchased used. Seems to me it should be simple enough to "find" a receipt showing your father purchased a Kubota model Bxxxx bearing serial number yyyyyyyy privately from Joe Blow on such-and-such a date.

Or, if your dad purchased the tractor new and you know the dealer that sold it, perhaps approach them for documentation. Heck, you could probably approach any Kubota dealer with that serial number and get some sort of documentation which dealer sold it or who bought it.

Failing that, you may need a lawyer and an injunction prohibiting "they" from disposing of the tractor pending further legal action. Heck, the thought of having to deal with lawyers themselves just might be enough to convince them it isn't worth the hassle of trying to fight you.

Reactions: 1 user

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
If you dad bought it from Kubota Dealership, they will have it 'in the computer' and any dealer can get access to the 'bill of sale'.
Have you a 'work order' or other paperwork from the 'service guy' ? If so GREAT....1st it should have details of the 'work to be done, name, address, phone, etc. If that's not good enough...that paper to local copshop and file a 'theft by conversion' charge.

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
If you dad bought it from Kubota Dealership, they will have it 'in the computer' and any dealer can get access to the 'bill of sale'.
Have you a 'work order' or other paperwork from the 'service guy' ? If so GREAT....1st it should have details of the 'work to be done, name, address, phone, etc. If that's not good enough...that paper to local copshop and file a 'theft by conversion' charge.
I do not believe that any of the 50 US states issue titles for tractors.
I am aware that some Canadian provinces DO issue titles.

torch

Equipment
B7100HSD, B2789, B2550, B4672, 48" cultivator, homemade FEL and Cab
Jun 10, 2016
Muskoka, Ont.
I do not believe that any of the 50 US states issue titles for tractors.
I am aware that some Canadian provinces DO issue titles.
The only provinces I'm aware of that require registration of a tractor are Nova Scotia and Newfoundland (but only if driven on a road). Manitoba (which has public vehicle insurance tied to the registration) used to require registration of tractors, however, I believe that requirement was repealed. I don't believe it was ever required in BC.

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
If I were you I'd take my father to the shop and let him see HIS tractor. It may set him off with the idea someone has his tractor. Just his interaction, along with what you have tried to explain to them, may motivate them to release the tractor. If not, let them know they will be hearing from your attorney to resolve the disagreement.

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
The only provinces I'm aware of that require registration of a tractor are Nova Scotia and Newfoundland (but only if driven on a road). Manitoba (which has public vehicle insurance tied to the registration) used to require registration of tractors, however, I believe that requirement was repealed. I don't believe it was ever required in BC.
Definitely Nova Scotia!
I had a Summer home there until 2019.

MapleLeafFarmer

Equipment
Lots incl. B and L kubotas
Dec 2, 2019
E.
I am also from Canada.

Normally all you would have to do is be a little patient, keep on them, and be able to show some reasonable type of proof of ownership / connection.

Those now in control do not want to release private property to the wrong person. That would create a huge legal mess for them so they need to take care. Its a good sign they are moving slow and careful. Don't want your stuff ending up on the back of someone else s trailer.

Often even something like a picture of you on the equipment in question or the repair / drop off tag, matching keys, insurance for say the house that may have equipment in question listed separately, etc... can all help substantiate the claim that the property comes from your family.

cheers and good luck as the process unfolds

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

WFM

Equipment
L3800
Apr 5, 2013
Porter Maine
This makes me think maybe I should put my bill of sale in the gun safe with other important papers already there.
Instead of just the file cabinet.

DustyRusty

Equipment
2020 BX23S, BX2822 Snowblower, Curtis Deluxe Cab,
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
I know that as far back as 2004 you could get a certificate of origin from Kubota that has all the pertinent identification. If he purchased it new from the local Kubota dealer the dealer can request the certificate of origin and then put your name on the back of it to show ownership. Kubota keeps detailed records in the event there should be a safety recall, so they know who to notify. That and a local constable should have it back in your possession.

Chrisk

Equipment
Kabota lawn tractors an snowblower
Apr 27, 2024
Lac la hache BC
Wow guys i was just shooting in the dark coming on here an didn't expect well I didn't know what to expect at all if anything an appreciate all the feedback an will go thru everyones comments soon as I get into a better service area and get back to you guys then an again thanks everyone i appreciate it

mikester

Equipment
M59 TLB
Oct 21, 2017
Canada
www.divergentstuff.ca
Get a lawyer and expect to pay $$$ if the people you are dealing with are aholes.

Do yourself a favour and make a Stop Loss Order - decide now how much you are willing to spend on lawyers at $400/hr to recover $5K (or whatever the value is).

Last edited:

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
Man that sucks to be sure, I know a guy that had his hotrod in a shop to be painted. Kind of the same deal, it turned into a real nightmare for him,, I wish you all the best