Are 6" wheel spacers too much?

Mike9

Equipment
Kubota B6200
Oct 9, 2015
Ghent, NY
I saw some 6" Bora spacers for sale for a "B" series Kubota - I have a B6200. I was wondering if that would be too much for it. My tire width is 4 foot now and these would make it 4' - 10" as I would move the hubs in closer to the frame.

sagor

Equipment
BX25, BX2750D, BX2760A, 5' back blade
Jan 9, 2017
Sudbury, ON, Canada
Well, based on simple physics, 6" may put a lot of stress on the wheel bearings. Not that it won't work, but the bearings may have a much shorter life than normal.
If you are 4 foot stance now, and assume the housing is 2 feet wide, you have 1 foot on each side (I suspect a lot less than that). Adding 6" wheel spacers will add 50% more distance for stress on the bearings. (not that stress increases 50%, but significant...).
Basic issue is how much more from the bearings you are extending the wheels. If 6" spacers doubles the distance from the bearing, you are roughly doubling the stress on the bearings.
This is just an opinion, others may give different comments. I would say 2" or 3" spacers are probably ok, but 6" seems to be stretching the limits to me...

uglyboy

Equipment
TG1860G
Mar 8, 2013
St. George, Ontario
I suppose the amount of added stress on the wheel bearings would depend on what kind of tractor activity you feel you need the extra width for...
With my BX24, I needed to dig an existing 100 yard trench 1 foot deeper.
Not wanting to chance a cave-in due to the rear tires getting close to the edge of the trench, I added 4 inch spacers (2x2") to each side. With those installed, the inside dimension between the rear tires is now the same as at the front.
I only used these spacers when I needed the extra width at he rear... I wouldn't use them driving around the yard at any speed.

Pete