Anybody dealt with House of Contractors out of Canada?

TJP440

Equipment
Gr2120 and B3200
Apr 16, 2017
Omaha, Ne
I'm in the market for a woodchipper and ran across these guys on sleaze bay. They have a machine somewhat similar to a Woodmaxx WM-8H which from my hours of research seems to be the top dog for my needs and compatibility with my B3200 (23 PTO HP)

They claim to have been in business 20 years and further claim their units are made in Canada. They also claim The Woodmaxx is a knockoff of their unit? Their website sounds like it was written by an experienced used car salesman.:rolleyes: THEIR VERSION LINK
The price is attractive BUT sounds a bit 🎣🎣🦈
So I thought I'd ask here for any experiences with them good or bad. They sell a lot of other implements as well.
TIA for any input
🍻

imnukensc

Equipment
BX2380
Sep 10, 2015
Midlands of SC
Just to be clear, it doesn't say their units are made in Canada. It says their units are " proudly assembled, welded and packaged in Canada."

TJP440

Equipment
Gr2120 and B3200
Apr 16, 2017
Omaha, Ne
Just to be clear, it doesn't say their units are made in Canada. It says their units are " proudly assembled, welded and packaged in Canada."
You are correct, but their website wording / claims on the unit would seem to indicate they are which is why I'm asking for info.
Canadian Made flywheel and input gears, Blades: 2-Reversible USA Made, 1 Bed Knife (Anvil) USA Made.
Just looking for real experience with them good or bad. Can't find much online for reviews :(

Moose7060

Equipment
M7060, L3902 HST, Farm King PT740, HLA 2500 Snowpusher, LandPride RCR1872
Oct 14, 2023
bc
Check out Wallenstein. Very, very good reputation for quality products. Just an observation, the Woodmaxx WM-8H that you are looking at is an import unit, not USA made like the other WoodMaxx's. House of contractors, CAEL, and TMG industrial are all about the same, jacks of all trades and masters of none.

mikester

Equipment
M59 TLB
Oct 21, 2017
Canada
www.divergentstuff.ca
I'm in the market for a woodchipper and ran across these guys on sleaze bay. They have a machine somewhat similar to a Woodmaxx WM-8H which from my hours of research seems to be the top dog for my needs and compatibility with my B3200 (23 PTO HP)

They claim to have been in business 20 years and further claim their units are made in Canada. They also claim The Woodmaxx is a knockoff of their unit? Their website sounds like it was written by an experienced used car salesman.:rolleyes: THEIR VERSION LINK
So I thought I'd ask here for any experiences with them good or bad. They sell a lot of other implements as well.
TIA for any input
🍻
Looks a lot like my 8" chinesium chipper I bought off kijiji 15 years ago for $1800. Came in a steel crate I too "assembled" in Canada. At the time I figured it was cheaper to buy and modify this unit than to build it new.

Out of the crate it's designed to break down every 5-15 minutes. After a lot of mods I can use mine for about 1-2 hours before jamb ups occur.

Here's my recommendations:
Don't buy if you aren't handy and don't have a full weld and fab shop.

That mechanical feeder is garbage and was the first thing to go as stray wood chips would knock the belt off like clockwork. I tossed mine and now have hydraulic infeed.

I replaced all the safety guarding fasteners to standardize on a single M8 bolt threading into a weld nut so I can fix in the field with only one ratchet wrench and no fiddling with nuts and washers.

The chip chute design is designed for clogging. I modded mine to make it easier to remove in the field with only 1 wrench. I also added a swivel to let me rotate the chute.

Get yourself a PTO slip clutch - better than your new chipper being an engine brake and stopping your tractor.

I find a squirt of diesel on the chipper/flywheel acts as a good chip lube and prevents jamb ups.

REGULARLY check your belts, belt pullies, bearings, chipper teeth, anvil clearance.

I treat my machine like a death trap and don't anyone else feed the machine. I avoid standing near the 200lb flywheel during operation...I have enough experience not to have a lot of confidence in the chinesium quality of parts used. Take great care in choosing your work clothing and gloves, machines like these have minimal safeties and will suck you in mercilessly and turn you into hamburger. Top up your life and disability insurance. If you have employees DON'T buy one of these machines.

Get and wear a quality certified forestry helmet with hearing and face protection. You WILL get chips and branches flying out of the infeed and hit you.

1715512979422.jpeg

NCL4701

Equipment
L4701, T2290, WC68, grapple, BB1572, Farmi W50R, Howes 500, 16kW IMD gen, WG24
Apr 27, 2020
Central Piedmont, NC
Sorry I can’t directly answer your question as I have no experience with them. One thing you might consider with the one you posted a link to: the infeed rollers are driven by some sort of belt and gear box system with a short driveshaft that appears to have quite a lot of offset. I’m assuming the clutch they reference is a slip clutch for that drive system. Woodmax is driving the infeed with hydraulic motors. In my experience running chippers and shopping for one a couple years ago, the one you posted is the first I’ve ever seen with infeed powered by anything other than hydraulic motors. As much stopping, starting, reversing, jamming, etc. as goes on with operating a chipper I personally would be very hesitant to go with a drive system involving belts, gears, and clutches. YMMV.

Reactions: 1 user

rh74

Equipment
LX2610, LA535, BH77, LX2980, RB1672, BB2560, PFL1242
Feb 17, 2024
Hoosick Falls, NY
All of their products are made in China. The woodchippers are made in the same plant/s as the Woodmaxx and Woodland Mills import stuff. The Woodland Mills and Woodmaxx import chippers are now being sold under various different names by various internet companies. As other have mentioned the infeed mechanical setup on this unit is not ideal. The real question is will this company provide you any support after the sale and do they carry any spare parts.

MapleLeafFarmer

Equipment
Lots incl. B and L kubotas
Dec 2, 2019
E.

TIA for any input
🍻

Does this one look familiar?

made outside of Beijing China by FRD Machinery Co. They sell them for about $1,000US and even put on House of Contractors stickers.

1715521288943.png

TJP440

Equipment
Gr2120 and B3200
Apr 16, 2017
Omaha, Ne
Does this one look familiar?

made outside of Beijing China by FRD Machinery Co. They sell them for about $1,000US and even put on House of Contractors stickers.

View attachment 128174
Mapleleaf Farmer and all else that responded, :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: (y)

Thank you all very much, kind of what I suspected. I'm going to cross post this to tractornbynet just too see if their are any other comments.
Below is the response I received from them on an Ebay inquiry: it made my BS meter go off

bullshit meter(1).jpg

When I get fully retired (if ever) I hope to be able to spend a bit more time here helping others with my limited experience. Classic cars, electrical, some engineering and other subjects I can help on.

thanks again 🍻
Capture.JPG

Last edited:

TJP440

Equipment
Gr2120 and B3200
Apr 16, 2017
Omaha, Ne
Sorry I can’t directly answer your question as I have no experience with them. One thing you might consider with the one you posted a link to: the infeed rollers are driven by some sort of belt and gear box system with a short driveshaft that appears to have quite a lot of offset. I’m assuming the clutch they reference is a slip clutch for that drive system. Woodmax is driving the infeed with hydraulic motors. In my experience running chippers and shopping for one a couple years ago, the one you posted is the first I’ve ever seen with infeed powered by anything other than hydraulic motors. As much stopping, starting, reversing, jamming, etc. as goes on with operating a chipper I personally would be very hesitant to go with a drive system involving belts, gears, and clutches. YMMV.
thank you for your input (y)

Elliott in GA

Equipment
LX 2610SU w/535,LP RCR1860,FDR1660,SGC0554,FSP500, DD BBX60005
Mar 10, 2021
North Georgia
FWIW, WoodMaxx in NY, USA sells two varieties of chippers. All of the MX series are made by them in NY, and the others are imported from China.

I bought an MX series from them, and it has performed very well. See my review:

DustyRusty

Equipment
2020 BX23S, BX2822 Snowblower, Curtis Deluxe Cab,
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
I bought a Vermeer chipper about 4 or 5 years ago with a Koehler engine and it will handle anything you throw at it up to 6". For the first 2 years, I put a lot of time put on it, but haven't used it much ever since. My wife keeps saying I should sell it, but I prefer to keep it because I know that I will have work for it in the near future. It is like owning a snowblower, you never know when it is going to snow, but when it does, you are glad that you have it.

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
I bought a Vermeer chipper about 4 or 5 years ago with a Koehler engine and it will handle anything you throw at it up to 6". For the first 2 years, I put a lot of time put on it, but haven't used it much ever since. My wife keeps saying I should sell it, but I prefer to keep it because I know that I will have work for it in the near future. It is like owning a snowblower, you never know when it is going to snow, but when it does, you are glad that you have it.
Yup!
Keep it!
You will need it for the next hurricane!

SharonCollins

May 23, 2024
USA
I currently own a B3200 (23 PTO HP), and from what I've gathered, the Woodmaxx WM-8H seems to be the gold standard for our needs. I checked out the House of Contractors' version, and I had the same skeptical vibe. Their claim that the Woodmaxx is a knockoff of their unit raised some eyebrows for sure. Also, their website's sales pitch did feel a bit too much like a used car salesman’s spiel. I haven't made a purchase yet, but I'm leaning towards the Woodmaxx just based on the positive reviews and reliable performance reports. As for House of Contractors, I’d love to hear if anyone here has had first-hand experience with them. If you're into construction estimating software, you might find Construction Quotes useful. It's hard to ignore a proven track record.

Last edited:

Tim Horton

Mar 22, 2018
Lake Superior
When I looked at the web site linked it said ...assembled in Canada... And a lot of double talk to me that I presumed to mean ...assembled from foreign parts... The only contact info available is there phone number is ...eastern time zone...

I had to click ...add to cart... to get a price... At $2844USD, that for you will be a lot of loonies to put out for no more info than they provide.. I also agree there site seems like it was written by a used car salesman..

Good luck..