anti-freeze

Mondo

Equipment
L355ss, back blade, bush hog
Apr 17, 2017
NYS
I just picked up some Napa Dex antifreeze for my wifes car. Its a 5 year or 150,000 miles product for GM products. Is it safe to use in my L355SS?

Bmbbm

Equipment
Bx2370 land pride box blade 60"mmm kubota fel
May 29, 2016
Chillicothe mo
I fact if your wifes car has pink in it. I would suggest flushing it replacing with the green.

BruceP

Equipment
G5200H
Aug 7, 2016
Richmond, Vermont, USA
I just picked up some Napa Dex antifreeze for my wifes car. Its a 5 year or 150,000 miles product for GM products. Is it safe to use in my L355SS?
There are several very different formulations of antifreeze on the market today. NONE of them should be intermixed with each other. Do not beleive anyone (or bottle) that claims to be comparable with all of them.

The problem is that if it is mixed with ANYTHING else, it forms sludgy gell which can plug up small passageways within your engine.

That orange "Dex cool" stuff which GM uses has been a headache for many people. As long as you ALWAYS use "Dex Cool" things should be OK for your GM engine.

To more-specifically answer your question -- DO NOT use DEX in your Kubota unless you totally wash out the system several times with distilled water.

If you choose to not change your kubota to a new formulation of antifreeze, stick with what is in it from the factory. I am not saying you have to use Kubota branded antifreeze... but you MUST use an antifreeze which is comparable. Read your owners-manual and it should tell you what formulation to use.

rjcorazza

Equipment
L4060 HSTC Loader, ZD326, ZD1211
Mar 9, 2016
Hyattstown, MD
I would not use DexCool or its equivalent in anything not specifically designed for it. Dex trashed a lot of vehicles before GM redesigned their cooling systems around it. Ford has done the same with their Specialty Orange. Gaskets, seals, and plastic components must be specifically compatible with Dex products.
There are plenty of long life products available that are compatible with your machine. I personally use Zerex G05 in almost every water cooled engine I own, but a lot of folks here use Fleet Charge I believe.
What others have posted is correct... if you do switch coolant types, make sure the cooling system is thoroughly flushed.
For the record, I barely caught one early GM DEXCOOL engine from damage and cleaned the horrible mess it left. My 2011 Ford was I believe the first model year to have their Specialty Orange (very similar to Dex), which was immediately flushed out when I got it. My point is that early on dex caused a lot of problems, and manufacturers redesigned the cooling systems to accommodate DexCool. A cooling system flat out not designed for DexCool is a catastrophe waiting to happen.

BruceP

Equipment
G5200H
Aug 7, 2016
Richmond, Vermont, USA
Not necessarily true, I have been using this in my Alero for flush and refills for the past ten years (5 year intervals) with no issues.
===image removed===
I still would preach using the green stuff in the new to old Kubotas.
I still use the green stuff in my Cutlass every other year!

Pat
Actually you have proven my point. (which you say is not true) You FLUSH AND REFILL so there is no intermixing of antifreeze technologies.

This is specifically what I said has to be done to prevent gelling.

Oh == and DO NOT rely on the color to determine the antifreeze technology. The "Organic Acid Technology" or "Hybrid Organic Acid Technology" can also be green just like "Ethylene Glycol" or "Propylene glycol".

Last edited:

Repair

Equipment
2017 L2501 - 2020 L2501
Apr 17, 2017
Lebanon, TN
You can use Fleet Guard OAT antifreeze in Kubotas.

I talked with Kubota corporate service and mentioned being disappointed they had not gone to it and he said that they are looking at it and it's fine for use in our tractors.

I work for Cummins in technical support, I reached out to our filtration/coolant analyst giving them the specifications for our engines and they recommended the Fleet Guard OAT coolant PN CC36077

https://www.cumminsfiltration.com/organicacidtechnology

This is a life of the engine coolant

To maintain the protection provided by ES Compleat OAT, the proper level of inhibitor must be present. This can usually be achieved by topping off the cooling system with premixed ES Compleat OAT coolant. The user is responsible for ensuring proper additive levels and coolant pH through the use of test strips and the addition of new coolant if necessary. The recommended test interval is 300,000 miles, 6,000 hours, or 1 year. The test interval is a precautionary recommendation intended to prevent progressive, severe engine damage.

Last edited:

Repair

Equipment
2017 L2501 - 2020 L2501
Apr 17, 2017
Lebanon, TN
There are several very different formulations of antifreeze on the market today. NONE of them should be intermixed with each other. Do not beleive anyone (or bottle) that claims to be comparable with all of them.

The problem is that if it is mixed with ANYTHING else, it forms sludgy gell which can plug up small passageways within your engine.

That orange "Dex cool" stuff which GM uses has been a headache for many people. As long as you ALWAYS use "Dex Cool" things should be OK for your GM engine.

To more-specifically answer your question -- DO NOT use DEX in your Kubota unless you totally wash out the system several times with distilled water.

If you choose to not change your kubota to a new formulation of antifreeze, stick with what is in it from the factory. I am not saying you have to use Kubota branded antifreeze... but you MUST use an antifreeze which is comparable. Read your owners-manual and it should tell you what formulation to use.
There is a list of coolants that will intermix without flushing and without causing any problems.

You 100% right you, CAN NOT rely on the color to determine what kind of antifreeze you have and if you don't know what you have a FLUSH and fill is the only safe way.

Mondo

Equipment
L355ss, back blade, bush hog
Apr 17, 2017
NYS
Thanks a lot guys, I just got some education on antifreeze. I've always had GM vehicles so I never gave any thought to the antifreeze. I always used what was recommended. I will definitely do the same with the Kubota. Thanks again.

Repair

Equipment
2017 L2501 - 2020 L2501
Apr 17, 2017
Lebanon, TN
Thanks a lot guys, I just got some education on antifreeze. I've always had GM vehicles so I never gave any thought to the antifreeze. I always used what was recommended. I will definitely do the same with the Kubota. Thanks again.
BTW the Fleet Guard OAT is compatible with GM Dex-Cool without having to flush it so it's just drain and refill.

BX23S-1

May 29, 2017
No where Special
Its not like your changing it like motor oil all the time, why not support your dealers and BUY THE CORRECT COOLANT to start with.

I`ll never understand why people want to take the cheap way out and cost themselves dearly in the end for it.
Makes about as much sense as stepping over a dollar to pick up a penny.

Repair

Equipment
2017 L2501 - 2020 L2501
Apr 17, 2017
Lebanon, TN
The factory coolant isn't as good as the Fleet Guard OAT coolant and it sure isn't less expensive. :)

The service manual says to replace the coolant every 2 years, it's a waste of time and materials to do that.

It's the same reason we want to replace the cheap plastic water/fuel separator filters they were built with.

Just because it was put on at the factory doesn't mean it's the best.

rjcorazza

Equipment
L4060 HSTC Loader, ZD326, ZD1211
Mar 9, 2016
Hyattstown, MD
X2. I have 3 Kubotas that I don't want to be servicing the coolant every other year. Same with my beater 97 pickup that has had a 5 year HOAT for the past 15 years (changed at 5 year intervals).