Angle Grinder for sharpening rotary mower

Stubbyie

Jul 1, 2010
Midcontinent
Regarding 'grit' of the grinding wheels you'll be using, I bet you'll most commonly find 36-grit, with 24-grit being a close second, and occasionally at large stores you'll see small grinding disks in 60-grit.

Depending on your area retailers you may find a larger selection at a welding supply store. AirGas does me a great job on all kinds of tools and supplies in their Radnor house brand.

You won't go wrong with 36- or 24-grit on a bushhog blade. It may not be worth your time tracking down a 60-grit just to get that slight extra polish on the blade cutting edge.

I use 24-grit to move metal fast and use up less of the grinding wheel. After using the bushhog a few minutes it won't make a bit of difference what grit was used.

BE CAREFUL on startup and point the grinder where the wheel can't hit you if it comes apart. Use a grinding guard. If yours doesn't have one call the maker and ask for one at no charge as a safety issue.

We've got a couple 9-in man-killers in the shop and 9 times out of ten we'll reach for a 4.5-in.

Read the grinding wheel label for hardness rating and 'type' for metal or masonry.

Please post back your continuing experiences so we may all learn.

bic

Equipment
L3010, LT28 wood mizer
Dec 19, 2014
Little Current, Manitoulin Island
Not real sure about brush hogs, but when I use to do a bit of sharpening, I made sure to balance the blade when I was done the rough sharpening (grinding out large nicks etc.) to ensure the blades were "balanced" to save problems with bearings later.
Just a thought to keep in mind, if you have to do a lot of grinding
Bic

Tallahassee Kubota Man

Equipment
M5140HD/LA1153/LandPride RCF2072/DirtDog disc/RakeMaster grapple/Caroni tiller
Got the Hitachi grinder in. It came with a 36 grit grinding wheel. Haven't used it yet since the blades are relatively new. The grinder appears built very well, is fairly light and has 9.5 amps.

Stubbyie, it came with a guard which I'd never operate without.

Will let you guys know how it works out.

Thanks for the comments. :)

Tooljunkie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L1501,home built carry all, mini plow blade.
May 13, 2014
Lac Du Bonnet, Manitoba,Canada
Regarding grinding wheels- Walter. Nothing out there comes close. Fastest cutting longest lasting. If anybody knows of anything better let me know. Im always on the search for better cutoff wheels.

OldeEnglish

Equipment
B7100D, MMM, B205 Dozer Blade, woods m48, b2910
Jul 13, 2014
Western, MA
Regarding grinding wheels- Walter. Nothing out there comes close. Fastest cutting longest lasting. If anybody knows of anything better let me know. Im always on the search for better cutoff wheels.
Walter makes a good disk, but I usually get the SAIT disks. I find they are just as good and are a bit less expensive. Hilti makes good blades, but man are they expensive :eek:. I usually only use Hilti for diamond wheels and core bits, they last 10 times longer than anything I've used before.

I don't know about grinding wheels, don't use them enough to know which brand works better...