An interesting little tidbit ...

Old_Paint

Lifetime Member

Equipment
LX2610SU, LA535 FEL w/54" bucket, LandPride BB1248, Woodland Mills WC-68
Dec 5, 2020
AL
GM agrees to $5.75 million settlement with California over ignition switches (cnbc.com)

Apparently, the ignition switches would turn off the engine while the vehicle was in motion, also apparently disabling the airbags, which was allegedly the cause of 124 deaths and 275 injuries. Just out of curiosity:

1. How many of these incidents involved how many cars? (How many people on average in the vehicle?)
  2. How many victims were passengers that perished because of poor reaction by the driver?
  3. What are the demographics of the victims? (What age group?, where from [rural/urban]?)
  4. Where did said incidents occur? (Close to home? On the interstate? Out of town?)
  5. What time of day is the spread of the incidents? (Will say a lot about what might have contributed)
  6. How many of the victims have ever completed defensive driving or any other driving courses which also teach reaction to vehicle failure?
I wasn't aware that turning the ignition off disarmed the air-bags on a GM product. But I'm fully aware that a deployed air-bag will shut down the engine, even if it's just the side impact subsystem that deploys. I experienced this (and a rather hair-raising ride for the next several seconds) one night when I came up on a herd of deer that was rather impatient about crossing the road. Two made it, the 3rd slammed into the left front quarter-panel (actually centered the left front wheel) and took out the entire left side of the car (along with some rather curious dents in the roof and trunk deck). That impact deployed the side curtain airbag, which made a bad situation much worse by turning off the engine, vis a vis, removing all steering and braking assistance from a rather heavy vehicle (2008 Chevy Impala), and nearly breaking my neck when it hit me. The only benefit I got from the air-bag was that it pitched the doe back out of the car after it intruded through my door window. That was a fun night. But what I didn't do, was try to sue GM because a stupid doe was confused about why an Impala wasn't just another deer it could run past. It was my responsibility to expect to see deer on that road (I've travelled it at least a thousand times in the past 40 years), slow down and be ready (I did miss the first two), but above all, be ready to react to a very dynamic situation and control my vehicle so I did not endanger myself any further nor any oncoming traffic at highway speed. I think I did pretty well, considering the $7500 repair bill to the Impala. Did I mention I'd only had the car 6 weeks?

I think D2Cat might say this is another good reason to close all law schools for 10 years. Well, maybe not all of 'em, just the ones in California.

Crash277

Equipment
BX23S
Jan 17, 2021
Canada
Happened to me and the wife a few times when she owned a cobalt. Took all her keys off the key ring. What would happen, is you hit a bump and the 8million work keys she had on the ring would turn the key because of the angle it sat at when running. Never happened when I used the spare key as it didn’t have her work ring loop on it.

ctfjr

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3800HST
Dec 7, 2009
central ct
Sorry Old_paint I just can't follow your logic. GM sold an inherently defective product that caused 100's of (known) injuries and deaths. Crash277's story about his wife's keys lays it all out perfectly. The end of the suit in California covers the entire country.

According to Car and Driver:

General Motors has agreed to pay $120 million to settle more claims that its deadly ignition-switch defect caused car owners economic harm, according to a settlement filing on Friday in New York City's U.S. District Court.

First reported by Reuters and reviewed by C/D, the settlement is barely 1 percent of what law firm Hagens Berman claimed it would reap for GM owners when it filed the class-action suit in 2014, shortly after GM's admission that year that its ignition switches caused vehicles to stall and disable all safety features, including airbags. The settlement names 216 plaintiffs who had owned some of the more than 2.6 million cars with the defective ignition switches, along with other GM cars recalled in 2014 for faulty power steering and side airbags that would not deploy in a crash, according to the filing. It addresses economic harm due to resale, repairs, and other related losses due to the defect. It is unrelated to the $625 million settlement fund that GM initiated in 2014 to pay for 124 deaths and 275 injuries. It is also unrelated to a settlement in 2015 that paid $275 million for more than 1380 death and injury claims that were not part of the compensation fund.

The bottom line they made a dangerous product not fit for it's intended purpose AND they knew it and hid that information from the public. My wife has one of those keychains with a billion things on it. No other vehicle has that problem - the car turns off because of keychain weight.

I couldn't find a good source right now but I'm pretty sure I read that a 'safe' ignition switch was about $.25 more. Even though they were aware of the problem they still kept the old switch.

If Crash277's wife was one of those victims. . .

Reactions: 1 user

sheepfarmer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, B2650, Gator, Ingersoll mower
Nov 14, 2014
MidMichigan
I am inclined to agree that GM should be liable for something. That is a lot of deaths. I have by considerable luck survived trucks shutting down suddenly at moderate to high speeds, both times I was in the left lane, and was able to coast across 3 lanes of traffic to pull off to a safe place on the right. Once was on a freeway in SanFrancisco and once was Telegraph Ave in Detroit, 5 lanes in each direction. No clue if blinker was working, not easy without power steering or brakes to stop when I got out of the way. If I had been hit on the freeway it would have been a multicar pileup, and maybe more people injured than just me. Fine if your car shuts down on a back country road, but takes a lot of luck if on a big freeway.

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Massey Ferguson 1825E, Kubota Z121S, Box blade, Rotary Cutter
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
On the pre-def Ford diesels 08' to 2012 I believe. If the exhaust sensors for the regen went bad. The truck would just shut off.

Had it happen in the middle of the interstate, bumper to bumper stopped traffic.

Luckily I was able to get the truck to roll out of the travel lane. The bad part was I was stopped in the middle lane. Towing a 5000 lb piece if equipment, plus the bed of the truck slap full of hoses.

So the total weight was around 20,000 lbs 💪💪💪 crown was in my favor and luckily they allowed me to move the truck over.

Had another one shut off while I was traveling down a windy road at about 50 towing some equipment.

That was fun with no power steering or brakes. Hit a spot big enough for the truck and trailer to not block the travel lanes at 40mph. I was standing on the brake pedal with both feet so I didn't over shoot it and end up in the pucker brush 😂🤣😂🤣😂

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
I once was driving 40 mph on a “dark and stormy night” in a crowd of freeway traffic and rear-ended a black SUV which had no tail lights. It wasn’t visible to me until it’s silhouette blocked the view of the car directly in front of the dark SUV...and that’s when I slammed on my brakes... too late...rear-ending the black tail-lightless SUV.... which hit the car in front of it, which hit the car in front of it... a total of 4 cars damaged because the black SUV stopped at night with no taillights could not be seen.
My airbags deployed and a cop was standing at the roadside writing a citation to another un-involved vehicle. He heard my squealing tires and saw my wheels all locked-up and observed the chain-reaction crash. But he was standing FORWARD of the black SUV and could not see it had no taillights. My Grand Cherokee smashed all the rear end (and light fixtures) of that black SUV.... and so it could not be proven that the black SUV had actually contributed to the accident.... so it was I who received the citation... AND... it was MY insurance which must repair ALLFOUR damaged vehicles (Due to an apparent, recent change in such matters. Previous years each vehicle was held responsible for rear-ending the vehicle in front of each... but no longer in Texas... I got the bills (or my insurance did) for all repairs and injury claims.)
The cop asked me to move my car....but the airbag deployment also shuts off the fuel pump and my car would not run. The cop and I physically shoved it to the side. (And then he wrote me the citation.)

GM SHOULD be liable for their sorry corporate decision to save 25-cents on millions of their vehicles. ...just as Ford was found liable for the many horrible and fiery deaths which occurred because the Ford Directors refused to replace an $8 bolt in their Pintos. Both GM and FORD made BILLION$ selling an unsuspecting public those KNOWN defective vehicles.
It is the purview of the courts, lawyers, and JURIES of our PEERS who make those judgements based upon the evidence presented and HEARD at court... and those liabilities are NOT decidedby those of us who hear anecdotes and “stories” we heard or read about in papers or on radios/televisions. That’s as it should be.

Old_Paint

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Dec 5, 2020
AL
I am inclined to agree that GM should be liable for something. That is a lot of deaths. I have by considerable luck survived trucks shutting down suddenly at moderate to high speeds, both times I was in the left lane, and was able to coast across 3 lanes of traffic to pull off to a safe place on the right. Once was on a freeway in SanFrancisco and once was Telegraph Ave in Detroit, 5 lanes in each direction. No clue if blinker was working, not easy without power steering or brakes to stop when I got out of the way. If I had been hit on the freeway it would have been a multicar pileup, and maybe more people injured than just me. Fine if your car shuts down on a back country road, but takes a lot of luck if on a big freeway.
A fine example of controlling your vehicle, and avoiding incident. I wasn't quite as lucky, but NEVER had an ignition switch turn off. But I don't keep a monster ring of keys with my car keys either, as I've always known this to be bad for the ignition switch. Even in a 1970 VW Beetle, I kept a separate ring for all the other keys, or at least one that could easily be separated to not allow the weight of more than 3 or 4 keys to hang on the ignition. I have had old age and drying grease cause a problem in an ignition switch, and just plain wear. I still own two 1986 Thunderbirds and a 1992 F-150, all of which still have original ignition switches. I have to put the key in the F-150 switch to unlock it, but after that, the key can be removed from the lock-set. Freaks out most people when someone is riding with me and I hand them the keys and say "Hold these a minute ...". Maybe Ford just made better ignition switches and worse keys.

Old_Paint

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Dec 5, 2020
AL
I guess these replies all relate, but maybe the point or intent was missed. The point I was trying to make is whether the engine turns off randomly by a key switch turning off, or by design because of a side impact, a vehicle shutting down while still at highway speed with no back up plan for steering or brakes is a very dangerous place to be. Newer electric servo assist on steering versus older hydraulic systems are a lot harder to steer in a manual situation. Knowing that kind of scares me a little because what happens if the steering assist just quits? I get the keyswitch being a dangerous situation, but is it any more so than a side impact shutdown at 55MPH? A small girl, like my 102 pound 16 year old granddaughter is NOT going to have enough muscle to handle a car that size to get it stopped safely. It took everything I had to do it, and I'm not sure I could now. Is it safer to put her in a smaller car? Typically the collision ratings go down proportionately with body weight and size on cars, so, I have to say no to that. But obviously, I have some decisions to make real soon. She's after me about a car.

The reactions to loss of the power plant is the target discussion, not what sum of money is fair to make GM pay. I wasn't defending GM in any way, and perhaps I came across as snide about the litigious world we live in. I get a little bubbly when I read about enormous awards, and then see the price of a new car. GM is not going to lose money on this, I assure you. I was actually pointing out that in my case GM's designed firmware turned the engine off when it REALLY needed to be on. The brake boosters on newer cars are tiny, and there is simply no reservoirs for stored vacuum to give a couple last boosts to the brake pedal. You get basically ONE shot with the brakes after the engine is dead. Were either of my legs injured in the impact, I could not have stopped the car other than by e-brake, which is very dangerous since that only brakes with the rear tires. Braking took both feet and everything I had. It isn't as easy to control the stop when the e-brake is a pedal rather than a console mounted lever. Too easy to skid the rear tires and spin out the car while hunting the release to let the brake back off.

There is no unintentional feature in the firmware design, no springs to wear out, nothing mechanical about it. It's coding that makes engine shutdown happen on purpose. That to me is clearly a design flaw, but I'm guessing the NTSB doesn't see it the same way, and GM didn't consult me on the matter. I get it if you want to kill the engine in a frontal impact. That's pretty much stopping the car anyway, and you're lucky if it does that without putting the engine in the front seat with you. Not so much a good idea on the side, though. Put it in limp mode to get off the road and then prohibit restart maybe, but don't shut the engine off until speed is down to a reasonable level to get the car stopped. Being able to get out of the way is far more important than any damage it can do to the car while trying. Most cars certainly have enough sensors and logic in them to selectively fire the side or front air-bags separately. Why not make a different engine management decision?

As for the key switch thing, I guess I don't understand why the switch shouldn't be blocked from turning to the off position with the transmission in any position other than Park or Neutral. But, GM didn't ask me about that, either. They block it from being turned on without pressing the brake, and from shifting out of Park without pressing the brake, so it shouldn't be that difficult to do the opposite with it in any position that will move the car when running. There's lots of other things that will shut that engine down. Maybe the old-school keyswitch thinking isn't valid any more with smarter electronics on cars.

GM probably didn't manufacture that key switch. Most likely it was outsourced in either China or Mexico, maybe Taiwan. Was the problem with the switch, or was it the switch linkage and lock set that was at fault? Either way, I can't see the shutdown due to restraint deployment while rolling issue being any less significant than the key switch. Another question that raises is if the key switch problem is more prevalent with column mounted shifters or console mounted? To be honest, I didn't read all of the story nor look up the suit. It was mostly to compare notes about what happens in either case, and learn how folks have reacted or fared. I was quite alarmed that losing the power plant was killing so many drivers. I managed to survive a power loss after getting my head nearly taken off, getting some bruised ribs, and spraining my wrist. Obviously, some folks react to the emergency situations better than others. Most of the questions I ask are just plain curiosity, and for informational purposes only. Sometimes, a dangerous issue ain't a design fault, and/or maybe, an otherwise minor problem gets aggravated by misuse. I'm a detail kinda guy. If you want 5 only ways to do something, just ask 5 engineers.

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
Sounds like a new line of argument in such lawsuits.... that injuries are increased by the intentional shutdowns in the design..?? .... That’s the msg I get from reading this. “For want of a nail.....”

Old_Paint

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Dec 5, 2020
AL
Sounds like a new line of argument in such lawsuits.... that injuries are increased by the intentional shutdowns in the design..?? .... That’s the msg I get from reading this. “For want of a nail.....”
Well, if I were the litigious type, you might have a point. I'm too old for a buttload of money to help me much now. I don't intend to leave anything behind for the kids to fight over.

I'm more the analytic troubleshooting tinkerer make it better type. Gather and submit popular opinions backed up with data, and manufacturers make changes. Changing a perceived safety issue before a manufacture has a liability action and has to pay the world a gozillion smackeroos might just keep the price of my next car down a little. Maybe I might even get some kind of incentive from the manufacturer if they implement my ideas. Happens all the time. I work in a service/installation/manufacturing sector. If I don't listen to my customers, my competitors will. I've spent 40 years of my life building better mouse traps. (I'm rather fond of sticky traps when a mouse hits one at top speed. Fun to watch it slide across the room) Sometimes, a need for change is completely obvious. Sometimes, it's a suggestion from the customer. Sometimes, it's just a wild hair from a co-worker. But, it's always an effort to improve, and design flexibility is ALWAYS a plus. Sometimes, an improvement is very subjective, but researching it's perceived value can make it objective. Before pursuing a change as a lone opinion, I like to see if anyone agrees or disagrees, and why in either case. I'm human, ergo, fallible. I can accept that, and hope everyone else can accept my shortcomings as well. Never claimed to be smarter or better than anyone else, and never will. Sometimes, though I do have good ideas, that others just might like to hear. Isn't that exactly what this forum was established for? Sometimes, we have to Fight Fight Fight for improvement. :sneaky: