Am i missing something?

The Evil Twin

Equipment
L2501, LA526,
Jul 19, 2022
Virginia
I know that it is not what you want or should have to do, but why not simply drill the holes required your self and be done with it?
Sure would save a lot of time and hassle.
Tjat crossed my mind. I don't know about time and hassle though. Drilling 5 1/2" holes through 1/4 plate at specific angles freehand isn't exactly hassle free. If they recommend that, and compensate, I will. Definitely not touching it until I hear from them.

Reactions: 1 users

Runs With Scissors

Equipment
L2501 TLB , Grappel, Brush Hog, Box Blade, Ballast box, Forks, Tiller, PH digger
Jan 25, 2023
Michigan
While it would suck, they could send just the frame. Swapping over every single tine and the wheel kit would be cumbersome at best.
I'm sure it'll all work out OK. I just fear that it will be another 6-8 weeks. Which postpones the intended project for 5+ months.
That definitely sucks for sure. I hope they get back with you quickly with a reasonable solution.

However with that being said (worst case scenario); There is no way in hell that I would let 5 or 6 relatively simple holes put my project off for 6 months.

If you don't already have them, I would get a set of transfer punches to mark the centers, and an protractor/angle gauge, and drill them myself.

Just turn it it the correct angle, drop the correct transfer punch down the hole, smack it with hammer.......Rinse and repeat for the other angles. Then pull that "pivot bolt" and drill'em.

Hell, I might even turn "lemons into lemonade" and make this the excuse/reason for a Mag-Drill......:love:

https://www.amazon.com/Transfer-Punches/b?node=2225060011

And before anyone says "Well he shouldn't have to....blah...blah...blah" ....I wholeheartedly agree.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
THERE YA GO! Tell Homestead to send you money for a Mag Drill….. and be done with it! :p

I was assembling some steel shelving this last weekend…and there are some metal clip/pins that are intended to be slipped into a 3/16” Hole in a sheet-metal bracket…which is supposed to prevent the shelves from slipping. I opened the pkg of pins …and started to install them into the holes….. and Guess What..?? NO HOLES!

Very Frustrating…!! …or so I thought.… Until I looked more closely… The Holes were actually there, all right… The Problem was when they painted the parts…the paint FILLED the Holes making them invisible.
A simple push of the pin…. popped the dried paint out of the hole….and VOILA! NO PROBLEM!

Maybe Homestead just used Thick Paint! The holes are simply filled with PAINT. Punch the pin through the Holes! 🤪

Last edited:

The Evil Twin

Equipment
L2501, LA526,
Jul 19, 2022
Virginia
That definitely sucks for sure. I hope they get back with you quickly with a reasonable solution.

However with that being said (worst case scenario); There is no way in hell that I would let 5 or 6 relatively simple holes put my project off for 6 months.

If you don't already have them, then I would get a set of transfer punches to mark the centers, and an protractor/angle gauge, and drill them myself.

Just turn it it the correct angle, drop the correct transfer punch down the hole, smack it with hammer.......Rinse and repeat for the other angles. Then pull that "pivot bolt" and drill'em.

Hell, I might even turn "lemons into lemonade" and make this the excuse/reason for a Mag-Drill......:love:

https://www.amazon.com/Transfer-Punches/b?node=2225060011

And before anyone says "Well he shouldn't have to....blah...blah...blah" ....I wholeheartedly agree.
As I said in an earlier post, I have the means to make that happen if that's the way it goes. But if they want it back, and don't have one to ship to out immediately.... That's when things get sticky.
I do like @GeoHorn idea. I'd be willing to barter for a tool 🤣

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
About 4 years back I ordered a 66" grapple. It came into a nearby company with a dock and they loaded it on my truck. When I went to show a friend we realized it was not 66", but 60".

I called the co. and they offered me a "substantial" discount if I could use that implement rather then shipping it back and shipping another. They knocked of, I think, about $400.

If customer didn't want to drill the holes the company would probably pay to have the customer take it to a shop to have the work done.

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
I'd want $100 per hole as the alternative to sending it back, on their dime ,of course.
As to 'fix it yourself'.... I'd use 1/2" drill ( those are 1/2" holes ?). Clamp beam to blade at 90*.drill down enough to make a nice 'divot'. Repeat for the other 4 holes ( ask what angle they're supposed to be).
Once ALL 'divots' are made, THEN remove the beam and drill the 5 holes. Once they're all made, drill with 17/32 bit to give pin some wiggle room, unless pin is undersized 1/2".

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
I'm guessing The Evil Twin does not need a diagram and detailed instructions on drilling holes in steel. ;) ;)

Reactions: 1 users

GrizBota

Equipment
L3830HST/LA724, B2601/LA435/RCK54-32, RCR1872, CDI 66”grapple, pallet forks
Apr 26, 2023
Oregon
Yes, I’d say you’re missing about six holes in the right spot. Frustrating, especially for such a simple implement. Fingers crossed the manufacturer makes it right, whatever the two of you agree that is.

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
***Current*** M6060HDC, MX6000HSTC & GL7000 ***Sold*** MX6000HST & BX25TLB
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
Pretty excited that my Homestead Implements rake showed up today. It was about 4 days ahead of their estimated ship date. I unwrapped it and hooked it up. The rake is shipped spun around backward to make it more compact for shipping. When I spun it around for use while going forward, there are no angle holes that line up. The photo on their website show (what look like) additional holes that I do not have.
View attachment 125459

View attachment 125460
Well that sucks! Kind of hard to understand how that feature was overlooked at any of the stages of manufacturing. Makes me wonder if they're actually making the stuff they're selling.

I have a Hougen mag drill and it's worth every penny.

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
Tjat crossed my mind. I don't know about time and hassle though. Drilling 5 1/2" holes through 1/4 plate at specific angles freehand isn't exactly hassle free. If they recommend that, and compensate, I will. Definitely not touching it until I hear from them.
If it were me,......I would absolutely not attempt to drill it myself!
You bought an attachment.....NOT an attachment KIT!

Reactions: 2 users

The Evil Twin

Equipment
L2501, LA526,
Jul 19, 2022
Virginia
Update- they got back to me a few hours ago and asked for a couple more photos/ clarification. Some companies won't even call you back.

Reactions: 2 users

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
Soo the ones you sent were not enough for them to hone up to a mistake,,,

• Haha

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
Update- they got back to me a few hours ago and asked for a couple more photos/ clarification. Some companies won't even call you back.
How is it not obvious from the photo that you posted earlier? I do wonder if they've ever put eyes or hands on that rake.

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
hmm, curious,went to their website....
" Three Forward Angles (15°, 30°, 45°) Two Reverse Angles (15°, 30°)

maybe the manual will explain those......
whrr,buzz,klik.... got the manual...
page 9, drawing of it...
CLEARLY 7 (SEVEN ) holes are missing !!!!

oopsy.....

i for one would NOT be drilling them ( yeah, voids warranty...... )

Reactions: 3 users

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
@The Evil Twin , just wondering if you'd heard anything more from Homestead re the missing holes? I would expect them to send you a new rotating head (or whatever it's called), and let you keep the existing one as a spare. I can't see them suggesting that you drill out the holes.