Alternate HST filters

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
In NH...

One great thing about our state is we are never on the list of states that can't have it! Like MA, NY, NJ, CA etc. Well that and no state income tax and no state sales tax.
And no nekkid girls lying around on warm sunny beaches! :D

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
In NH, that would be illegal. A manufacturer is not allowed to limit warranty service based on perishable/service items in an assembly. Most of the verbiage is based on automobiles but it applies to any assembly with perishable/service parts. I love our RSA system of law here.

Check your state - YMMV.

One great thing about our state is we are never on the list of states that can't have it! Like MA, NY, NJ, CA etc. Well that and no state income tax and no state sales tax.
In your state it may be illegal, but as Geo pointed out, when it comes to proving who/what was the weak link in a verbal dispute over such things, the difference in filter price is insignificant to the cost of proof, and down time. One hour of atty. fees buys a lot of Kubota filters!

NHSleddog

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650
Dec 19, 2019
Southern, NH
In your state it may be illegal, but as Geo pointed out, when it comes to proving who/what was the weak link in a verbal dispute over such things, the difference in filter price is insignificant to the cost of proof, and down time. One hour of atty. fees buys a lot of Kubota filters!
I only buy Kubota filters. As stated above with the links to why.

I was simply stating that in our state it is illegal for a manufacturer to deny warranty coverage due to a non-OEM filter, or fluid, or pads etc. No need to lose sleep over a future warranty claim here. Some states have good consumer protections in place for vulturistic manufacturer practices. I thought it was an America thing, I guess some states screw the consumer?

Last edited:

rjcorazza

Equipment
L4060 HSTC Loader, ZD326, ZD1211
Mar 9, 2016
Hyattstown, MD
I only buy Kubota filters. As stated above with the links to why.

I was simply stating that in our state it is illegal for a manufacturer to deny warranty coverage due to a non-OEM filter, or fluid, or pads etc. No need to lose sleep over a future warranty claim here. Some states have good consumer protections in place for vulturistic manufacturer practices. I thought it was an America thing, I guess some states screw the consumer?

It's a federal law. The Magnuson–Moss Warranty Act prevents manufacturers from denying warranty claims soley because the owner uses aftermarket parts. If the aftermarket part is determined to be the cause of failure, the manufacturer can and will deny warranty coverage.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
M9000HDCC3, M9000HD, Kubota GS850 Sidekick
Oct 28, 2018
USA
All this to do about basically nothing. The cost difference between genuine Kubota filters is really inconsequential compared to the initial cost of the machine, and yes, the MM act is nationwide however, if the mechanical failure is directly attributable to the sub standard filters, the manufacturer of the tractor or their licensed agents (in this case a dealer) can and will deny a claim.

Then it comes down to if you can afford a mouthpiece to contest it and considering the mouthpieces (attorney's) today charge upwards of 350 bucks an hour to represent you. One has to weigh that cost versus just getting your failure (from using a sub standard filter, repaired.

Filters and fluids are the cheapest thing you'll ever use anyway. The cost differential between the best and the not so good is again, inconsequential. Above all, never use Fram. Total pasteboard junk.

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 18, 2018
Texas
.....Above all, never use Fram. Total pasteboard junk.
AGREE. Absolutely, Fram is especially poor quality and failure-prone compared to ALL others.

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
Oct 28, 2018
USA
When I see a Fram filter on any piece of equipment or car or truck, it's almost a dead giveaway the owner also cheaped out on the oil too.

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 18, 2018
Texas
When I see a Fram filter on any piece of equipment or car or truck, it's almost a dead giveaway the owner also cheaped out on the oil too.
You cannot “cheap out” on oil from any major supplier that displays the ILSAC starburst symbol on the package. EPA so tightly controls that issue and the need to meet vehicle warranty requirements insures that the oil in the package is suitable.

Waay back in the day... when “Pennsylvania Grade” oils were marketed... it made a difference. But these days ALL mineral oil comes from Saudi, Kuwait, West Texas, etc etc and is dumped into the same cat-cracker and then poured into blue or red or green or yellow bottles and sold at WalMart at huge pricing-differentials based on marketing and foolish brand-loyalties.

That means that WalMart’s SuperTech is every bit as good as BP or Castrol or Shell or Chevron or.... in fact, you might be interested to know that most SuperTech bottles contain SOSUS refinded oil (which is Shell/Quaker-State/Pennzoil)

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
Oct 28, 2018
USA
That means that WalMart’s SuperTech is every bit as good as BP or Castrol or Shell or Chevron or.... in fact, you might be interested to know that most SuperTech bottles contain SOSUS refinded oil (which is Shell/Quaker-State/Pennzoil)

Candidly, I'm not. I'll stick with Rotella T6. The overhead on the OS9 just reinforces my views of it. Besides, it's cheaper in 55 gallon drums.

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
Somewhat relevant; when I bought the Kubota I got a Fram equivalent motor oil filter.
I also got a Kubota OEM filter.
After holding both in my hands, I immediately decided that the Fram would never be on the tractor unless there was an emergency.
The Fram is still on the shelf after 7 years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dlundblad

Equipment
G5200, L2501, ZD1211
May 16, 2009
IN
Ive used them on my G garden tractors. $26 for the Kubota filter and $4 for the WIX from Rock Auto.

No complaints so far, but IMO they are very simple. The big guy gets Kubota filters and will for life.