Air in fuel line

Cruz_Man

Equipment
L185DT
Jul 8, 2009
Atlanta, GA
Ok so when I first got my little L185 I put all new filters on it including the fuel filter. When I did this I got some air in the system and had to get it out before the tractor would run correctly. Now I didn't expect I would get air in the lines but I did. So I bled the fuel filter , pump and then cylinder #1 until the engine would run. Then I bled the second cylinder and the engine ran smooth like it did before I change the filters.

Ok so I have used about a tank and a half of fuel over the past month and yesterday when I was doing some work at my brother-in-laws house the engine starts to knock ( I am thinking the worst) but It seemed to sound the same as when it had air in one cylinders fuel line. So I crack the lines and sure enough cylinder #2 has air in it. after a bit of bleeding I close the line off and it runs just as smooth as it ever has.

My only thought is that because I was working on un even ground that there was some air in the system that I failed to purge.

My question to you is what did I forget to purge? There was a screw on top of the fuel filter. There was a screw on the fuel tube where it connect to the injection pump. And I cracked open the high pressure fuel lines at the top of each injector. (is there something else?)

ipz2222

Equipment
L235, bx2670
May 30, 2009
chickamauga ga usa
Make sure the hoses from the tank to filter and pump are tight. It could be sucking air into the line. Make sure the fuel shut off valve is not barely on.

Ob1kubota

Equipment
M9540DT
Jul 26, 2009
Birmingham, AL
Ok so when I first got my little L185 I put all new filters on it including the fuel filter. When I did this I got some air in the system and had to get it out before the tractor would run correctly. Now I didn't expect I would get air in the lines but I did. So I bled the fuel filter , pump and then cylinder #1 until the engine would run. Then I bled the second cylinder and the engine ran smooth like it did before I change the filters.

Ok so I have used about a tank and a half of fuel over the past month and yesterday when I was doing some work at my brother-in-laws house the engine starts to knock ( I am thinking the worst) but It seemed to sound the same as when it had air in one cylinders fuel line. So I crack the lines and sure enough cylinder #2 has air in it. after a bit of bleeding I close the line off and it runs just as smooth as it ever has.

My only thought is that because I was working on un even ground that there was some air in the system that I failed to purge.

My question to you is what did I forget to purge? There was a screw on top of the fuel filter. There was a screw on the fuel tube where it connect to the injection pump. And I cracked open the high pressure fuel lines at the top of each injector. (is there something else?)
Nope you covered it but I'm wondering if it's loosing its prime on a slope which makes me think your fuel pick up tube in the tank has pin holes in it and on a slope you are sucking air into the system from the vent cap when the tank is close to empty and on a slope away from the pick up tube. :eek:

Cruz_Man

Equipment
L185DT
Jul 8, 2009
Atlanta, GA
Nope you covered it but I'm wondering if it's loosing its prime on a slope which makes me think your fuel pick up tube in the tank has pin holes in it and on a slope you are sucking air into the system from the vent cap when the tank is close to empty and on a slope away from the pick up tube. :eek:
Well it wasn't that much of a slope and I have had it on bigger slopes prior to this. (oh and the fuel tank is almost full ) But sounds like a good thing to check in the future. thanks

Ob1kubota

Equipment
M9540DT
Jul 26, 2009
Birmingham, AL
Cruz here's another trick, soap all the fittings and hoses with soap bubble and pressurize your fuel line where it leaves the tank. ( start out at 5 PSI and increase to 30 PSI max of compressed shop air ) Where you see bubbles is where your sucking air. :D