Aftermarket hydraulic cylinders vs OEM for L285

Squawker Ranch

Equipment
L285
Oct 29, 2020
Topanga CA
My L285 needs new hydraulic cylinders due to pitting of the piston shaft. This tractor spend a lot of time outside in the elements. Are there aftermarket options? If so, who is a good source?

Thanks

Tim
Squawker Ranch
Topanga CA

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
if pitting isn't too bad, 'hone' with 1000g sandpaper and oil.
if possible, at end of the day...retract picton into cylinder, spray with the thick 'RustCheck'.
I got an extra 7 years out of mine doing this.

Henro

Equipment
B2910, BX2200, KX41-2V mini Ex.
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
Who determined the cylinders are not repairable?

If it was someone who does cylinder repair as a profession, then obviously new cylinders are called for. Be prepared for sticker shock if you buy replacements from Kubota!

Just asking before suggesting you get a professional opinion on rebuild possibilities, if you have not already.

Sometimes people get lucky finding replacement cylinders at the surpluscenter.

Reactions: 1 user

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID

Squawker Ranch

Equipment
L285
Oct 29, 2020
Topanga CA
Ok, sounds like best next step is determine if its repairable. I figure it needs a rebuild at minimum, but am concerned about the amount of pitting. Next challenge is to find a local shop

Orange L285

Equipment
L285 1200FEL
Jul 14, 2014
Texas
Ok, sounds like best next step is determine if its repairable. I figure it needs a rebuild at minimum, but am concerned about the amount of pitting. Next challenge is to find a local shop
Not familiar with the 700 loader but I just rebuilt my bucket cylinders (1200 FEL) and it was VERY EASY to do. This is something you can do; no special tools needed just a little patience and knowledge. What are the cylinder part numbers?
Good luck and FYI a seal kit is $35ish so might be worth a try before you spend several hundred for replacements.

Henro

Equipment
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
Not familiar with the 700 loader but I just rebuilt my bucket cylinders (1200 FEL) and it was VERY EASY to do. This is something you can do; no special tools needed just a little patience and knowledge. What are the cylinder part numbers?
Good luck and FYI a seal kit is $35ish so might be worth a try before you spend several hundred for replacements.
Certainly true if you can do the rebuild yourself, that is the cheapest option.

In my case, for a LA401 loader, the seal kit from Kubota for the curl cylinders was something like $60 each, and the repair by a hydraulic shop was $100 each. AND replacement cylinders from Kubota were over $600 each! I did not research after-market cylinders, or possible replacement cylinders from surplus center or other sources.

Just an additional data point...

Orange L285

Equipment
L285 1200FEL
Jul 14, 2014
Texas
Certainly true if you can do the rebuild yourself, that is the cheapest option.

In my case, for a LA401 loader, the seal kit from Kubota for the curl cylinders was something like $60 each, and the repair by a hydraulic shop was $100 each. AND replacement cylinders from Kubota were over $600 each! I did not research after-market cylinders, or possible replacement cylinders from surplus center or other sources.

Just an additional data point...
WOW Your local shop charged (or wanted to) $100 to rebuild? DANG I would have had mine done for that price!! The shop the Kubota dealer refered me to wanted $500 (in Fort Worth) so I did it myself and will again if needed. Crazy I usually default to the dealer for parts and service outside my "knowledge and ability" but they have priced themselves out of my market so I learn and develope new found talents...

Henro

Equipment
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
WOW Your local shop charged (or wanted to) $100 to rebuild? DANG I would have had mine done for that price!! The shop the Kubota dealer refered me to wanted $500 (in Fort Worth) so I did it myself and will again if needed. Crazy I usually default to the dealer for parts and service outside my "knowledge and ability" but they have priced themselves out of my market so I learn and develop new found talents...
That is what I figured too. Out of pocket for me was about $40 per cylinder. AND all I had to do was drop them off and pick up later. Granted, it took about a week or so to get them back, as there was one seal they had to back order. But that was not a big deal for me...Would do it again without question. Especially since I do not have a good place to do the rebuild myself. Would like to though, as a learning experience.

But getting older, there are some things I do not really need to learn, and some things I need to relearn! But they are not tractor related... :ROFLMAO:

As they say, the memory is the second thing to go! :eek:

Edit: I meant $40 over what it would have cost me to buy the seal kit from Kubota...

Last edited:

ddiaz396@aol.com

Equipment
Jun 25, 2012
Kissimmee,Fl
WOW Your local shop charged (or wanted to) $100 to rebuild? DANG I would have had mine done for that price!! The shop the Kubota dealer refered me to wanted $500 (in Fort Worth) so I did it myself and will again if needed. Crazy I usually default to the dealer for parts and service outside my "knowledge and ability" but they have priced themselves out of my market so I learn and develope new found talents...
How do you remove the cylinder cap to replace the seals? I want to do it myself but I can't remove the cap!! I have an L2250.

Orange L285

Equipment
L285 1200FEL
Jul 14, 2014
Texas
How do you remove the cylinder cap to replace the seals? I want to do it myself but I can't remove the cap!! I have an L2250.
Please post a picture of your cylinders for a better idea of what you are working on. I'm not sure what FEL you have so only way is to see it.

The 1200 FEL has a "lock wire" that holds the end cap on. It was very easy to remove.

Orange L285

Equipment
L285 1200FEL
Jul 14, 2014
Texas
That is what I figured too. Out of pocket for me was about $40 per cylinder. AND all I had to do was drop them off and pick up later. Granted, it took about a week or so to get them back, as there was one seal they had to back order. But that was not a big deal for me...Would do it again without question. Especially since I do not have a good place to do the rebuild myself. Would like to though, as a learning experience.

But getting older, there are some things I do not really need to learn, and some things I need to relearn! But they are not tractor related... :ROFLMAO:

As they say, the memory is the second thing to go! :eek:

Edit: I meant $40 over what it would have cost me to buy the seal kit from Kubota...
You got a great deal for $40 (over)!!! And got some extra time to "remember or relearn"... Youtube might be able to help too 😂