Advice on front-end grapple

ShaunBlake

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B6100D; B219; Piranha bar; Hodge stabilizers; Filled Ag rears; R322T w/48" deck
Dec 21, 2014
Sugar Hill -- next door to Buford, GA
It seems this should be in 'Customization' but that one is for what you've already done, not for what you are asking how to do, so...

I have a need (urgent) for a grapple, and I'm having difficulty finding equipment to grab brush with my B6100 B219FEL for less than about 2000 bucks.

I'm looking at packages for two reasons: firstly, because I've already put the trees on the ground, and I can't handle the limbs with my loader bucket. (I need to move the brush up to the spot I'll park a big chipper.) Second reason is that I can't take the time to design (design-by-theft of NIW's grapple), purchase, weld, assemble, and refine a from-scratch unit.

I would love to learn from NIW's (do we call him "Woofie" now?) project and build my own. However, what took him a couple of weeks or so would likely take me that many YEARS. (However, I MIGHT be able to modify a Bobcat bracket to fit a B219 loader before the limbs rotted into mush -- assuming they rot in years, not months!)

Since I don't have a QA, I'm looking at something that I could weld in place or bolt on my bucket. I'm prolly overlooking opportunities because of my anxiety and frustration, so I'm hoping my brothers and sister can provide some wise counsel. Is it even feasible to try to put a grapple or a "thumb" on a B219 for less than a thousand bucks? That's about as much as I can come up with.

I've looked at several bucket add-ons like WR Long's that look like great attachments, but beyond my means. The thumb-only (I've seen a couple on fleaBay) seem a good starting place... but I'm clueless about finding the necessary components. Moreover, there would be choices that I'd kick myself in the future for not making certain choices -- like elec-over-hyd.

So I'm hoping to get some advice and will humbly accept all criticism, gufaws, and snide remarks. I haven't been able to find anything close to a how-to, just several very piecemeal threads that are compelling, but do not lead a noob like me down the rosy path. So any coaching, sources, etc. are particularly desired.

koja

Equipment
BX25D
May 27, 2014
Fremont Mi.
You ever checked out bxpanded pallet forks . Thinking four of them on the loader bucket would work great for brush , as well as all the other things you could use them for . The problem with a grapple on the bucket is the shape of the bucket really limits how much brush you can grab . My advice ,,, if you can't go with a true root grapple,,,, then go with the forks . Made a light weight set for mine . Worked great till I bent them . Oops , I should have made them a lot stronger than what I did.

ShaunBlake

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Dec 21, 2014
You ever checked out bxpanded pallet forks...

the shape of the bucket really limits how much brush you can grab...

Made a light weight set for mine . Worked great till I bent them . Oops , I should have made them a lot stronger than what I did.
Yes, the first place I looked (I've got a Piranha bar that I've never been able to do without; it stays on, whacking every ankle that goes by!)

I don't need to grab huge amounts; just need to get hold of limbs and hold them. Smaller amounts would be better since it has to go into a chipper. So for my problem, a bucket with a thumb would actually make the job easier than long forks with a serious grapple. (That would move that mess in just a couple of hours, but would be a nightmare to try to untangle and shove into a chipper!)

What did you make them out of? How would you make them if you started today?

I have a wr Long bucket grapple plus wr Long true third function. It was dealer installed at a little over 2K. I do not know how I got along with out it.
Yep, that control is a dream, as is Jery's, and the bucket is sweet too. (Long's and Jery's) Just far beyond my means.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Can you weld? :confused:
I can send you all the parts pre cut for a grapple! :D

bradmond

Equipment
BX25D
Mar 14, 2015
SeaTac, Wa
I've hauled away over 35,000 pounds of limbs and other yard waste using extensions. Simple, light, easy to make, and cheap.

Last edited by a moderator:

Kennyd4110

Vendor Member
Sep 7, 2013
Westminster, MD
www.boltonhooks.com
Is it even feasible to try to put a grapple or a "thumb" on a B219 for less than a thousand bucks? That's about as much as I can come up with.
Short answer, no not all feasible. Even building one yourself, then adding the hydraulics to your tractor will stress that budget.

A setup like bradmond made seems like it would fit in your timeframe to get made, and your budget.

ShaunBlake

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Dec 21, 2014
I've hauled away over 35,000 pounds...
... will stress that budget...
... and just run a quick rope or chain around the load for transport.
Thank you, guys, your suggestions are great.

I'm still left with the barrier I've run up against: how to get a load separated enough to get a rope/chain around it? I can't get behind the bunch I'm trying to pick up, the tangle is so tall, deep, and thick.

So? What do clever guys suggest?

ShaunBlake

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Dec 21, 2014
With fork-type setup you shouldn't need the rope, just stab in the pile, lift slightly and curl back. Yeah, stab-n-grab ;)

You don't need a rope to eat spahgetti do you :D
No, with spaghetti, I can handle it with a fork and grapple. (Of course, everybody I know that feeds me spaghetti, makes it wet, and adds lots of tomato sauce, so it's very slippery. Every bit slips and slides off the fork unless clamped pretty quickly, even if a big glob is rolled up against a spoon!

I'm trying to scrounge up some material to make some forks like bradmond's and hopefully give your suggestion a try. Maybe I can get somebody to make a vid of my effort.

Tallahassee Kubota Man

Equipment
M5140HD/LA1153/LandPride RCF2072/DirtDog disc/RakeMaster grapple/Caroni tiller
Looks like some fabbed forks of some sort is the best way to go with a limited budget. I've got forks and grapple. For some things the forks work well, but for grabbing and moving raked up vines, roots or loose limbs the grapple is much easier and quicker.

Best of luck!

ShaunBlake

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Dec 21, 2014
Looks like some fabbed forks of some sort is the best way to go with a limited budget. I've got forks and grapple. For some things the forks work well, but for grabbing and moving raked up vines, roots or loose limbs the grapple is much easier and quicker.

Best of luck!
Thanks, Seminole!

I'm getting some help from NIW for a grapple design so I hope to add a grapple soon, but in the meantime, I think some temporary forks will help whittle away at it.

Say, don't you have turf tires on yours? Feel like driving up to Atlanta and showing off your expertise picking up limbs? :D (I wouldn't suggest it if you had ag tires -- they beat me to death just wheeling down the driveway and down the street around the mailbox! ;)) :D:D:D

Tallahassee Kubota Man

Equipment
Thanks, Seminole!

I'm getting some help from NIW for a grapple design so I hope to add a grapple soon, but in the meantime, I think some temporary forks will help whittle away at it.

Say, don't you have turf tires on yours? Feel like driving up to Atlanta and showing off your expertise picking up limbs? :D (I wouldn't suggest it if you had ag tires -- they beat me to death just wheeling down the driveway and down the street around the mailbox! ;)) :D:D:D
Nole here! :D

I think you're gonna love that grapple once you get it. They're the best thing since sliced bread! I like NIW's design. The only thing I'd change on mine would be to make the upper arms wider. WIthout measuring I'd guess they're around 12 "; would like them to be 24-30".

Would love to come help you out, but it will take till the end of summer to drive up with the ags on. Will have to stay on the shoulders. :D My M5140 is one of the slowest tractors in high gear I've ever had. It tops out at 16 mph. My little L3010 HST can out run it.

Keep us posted on your progress.

ShaunBlake

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Dec 21, 2014
Nole here! :D
Oops! :eek:

Would love to come help you out, but it will take till the end of summer to drive up with the ags on. Will have to stay on the shoulders. :D My M5140 is one of the slowest tractors in high gear I've ever had. It tops out at 16 mph. My little L3010 HST can out run it.
Hope you believe me when I say that I wouln'ta envy-ited you had I realize you were riding on ags -- I never would subject someone to that! (And since it ain't never gonna happen, it is moot to mention that the shoulders are every bit as bad as the pavement. If I were heading your way to "borry" <snicker> yer grapple, I'd be going cross-country, counting on getting there, getting your grapple, and back-tracking between when the cops got there to investigate the damaged fences and the farmers got 'em repaired.)

Now I'm doubly envious -- my B6100 is rated at 8.4mph, but I can't get a strong enough hurricane behind me to approach that speed.

Tallahassee Kubota Man

Equipment
Oops! :eek:

Hope you believe me when I say that I wouln'ta envy-ited you had I realize you were riding on ags -- I never would subject someone to that! (And since it ain't never gonna happen, it is moot to mention that the shoulders are every bit as bad as the pavement. If I were heading your way to "borry" <snicker> yer grapple, I'd be going cross-country, counting on getting there, getting your grapple, and back-tracking between when the cops got there to investigate the damaged fences and the farmers got 'em repaired.)

Now I'm doubly envious -- my B6100 is rated at 8.4mph, but I can't get a strong enough hurricane behind me to approach that speed.
No need for oops Shaun... :D

I need a road trip....maybe I'll just load the grapple on the trailer and come on up. I hear ya on the road shoulders. The ones on my road will jar your teeth out :D

GUess I ask a lot of my tractors......I like 'em to be strong and fast. :D